16gb 6+ worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marine0621, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Marine0621 macrumors member

So who has actually gotten the 16gb 6+ and been happy with their decision? Do you have a lot of apps? Do you use iCloud which is why you went with the smaller version? I'm trying to decide between 16 or 64 but didn't realize that iCloud was so cheap for storage so now I am leaning towards the 16gb version. I don't have much music, I also don't have too many apps, but I do take pictures/video and I wouldn't have an issue just sending it to the cloud instead of storing on my device. I guess I'm just hesitant because I've always gone with the middle of the road version of whatever Apple brings out and never settled for just the entry level one.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Using the 16gb 6 plus would be the same as using the 16gb 4, 5, 5s etc.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I can get by with 16gb purely because I use iTunes match and limited iPhone apps. My main driver that's always with me is my iPad mini.

4. Marine0621 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thank you for that incredible insight. If you had read my post, you would have seen that I have always bought the middle of the road gb version which up until this year was 32gb thus I have no experience in using 16gb of anything. I am trying to figure out if those who have, have had issues with running out of space quickly or do they just supplement that with using iCloud? iCloud is incredibly cheap so I'm thinking of just using that and going with 16gb.

----------

Thanks for that.. yea I'm thinking 16gb isn't that big of a deal since like I mentioned iCloud storage is so friggin cheap that I can just supplement my phone with that. I don't play too many games on my phone and my apps are pretty limited to news, Mint, TDBank, etc type of apps which really aren't that big. Think I'm just going to pull the trigger and get a 16gb phone.

5. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I think spending so much on a phone then not getting 64gb is stupid.

For the sake of a little extra!

6. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I have the 16gb 6+ and have no problems at all. I have 75 apps currently installed with exactly 6gb of space left. I use BackupRocket to send all my photos/videos to Google Drive every week or so and stream all my music through Spotify. In the past, I would sometimes go 2-3 months before backing up my photos on my old 16gb iPhone 5 with no problems. I also do all my updates through iTunes instead of OTA.

I know everyone keeps repeating the mantra of "peace of mind" for the 64gb, but honestly I don't worry about it at all having the 16gb.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While some people can get by with just 16GB, personally I'd spend the extra money and get 64GB.

8. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I just can't see buying a flagship device these days with a 2009 storage standard

9. its Dale macrumors 6502

If i had a choice (well I did, but I couldnt pass up this deal) then I would have gotten 64GB. However, 16GB works well enough for me. I dont store music since i use pandora.

I just checked my battery usage for the past 7 days and only 17 apps show up so i guess thats all i really use.

Had this phone for about 2 months and still have 5.1GB left. I also need to move my photos/videos to my computer (which i usually do with other phones) so I dont risk losing them, in the event i lose my phone. That will clear even more space up. I have a 10 month old so you know i currently have a lot of pics/video

10. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Entry level should have been 32GB, guessing/hoping this will change next year. If you are worried about running out of space then get the 64GB. Depending on how you plan on paying for the phone, it's $100 + tax more upfront or just a few dollars more per month (ie AT&T Next).

11. its Dale macrumors 6502

^^^ agreed 100%

If you have the money, then get 64GB. If you dont, then get the 16GB and adapt your usage if you can not wait to buy it

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I've personally always had the 16GB version. I never had any storage problems because I have iTunes Match, Spotify, Dropbox, etc. With the 6, I opted to get the 64GB model so that I can sync some of my Spotify playlists locally to my phone. If you were fine in the past with 16GB version, there is no reason why you would run into any storage problems with the 16GB 6 Plus.

13. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Same. I've always had 16GB for all my devices except for the Note 3, that came with 32GB. On that 32GB I barely made a dent. It was mostly probably to carry all of their bloat ware.
    If you have doubt, just go with the higher storage.

14. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

this is so subjective. For $100, 64GB over 16GB is well worth it. i currently have about 40GB of stuff on my phone. if 16GB works for you, then save your money.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What possible issues would come up with a 6 plus that wouldn't in previous versions? I read your post and my response was going to be similar. How much space are you using? If you aren't using 12gb (free space on a 16gb phone), then you're pretty much set.

I haven't been able to get by with 16gb for the last two generations. My apps alone take up enough space that 16gb is too constraining. Despite the fact that I keep virtually no music or movies on my device, photos fill it up fast. If you didn't have trouble with your precious devices, you won't have trouble with this one.

As far as iCloud storage being cheap, while I agree, it's about $50 a year for a 200gb block. That's already half of what you'd oay to quadruple your local storage. I find iCloud storage to be rather expensive considering the other options out there. Currently using Flickr to backup photos and videos. 1tb free space. Makes more sense to me, personally.

16. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

That would have made sense in 2009 when the notion of cloud storage was nonexistent. We used to have scads of music and videos stored on our phones, but right now the heaviest media items I have are Spotify's cache and my own photos. 16GB is more than I have use for.

----------

How many apps do you have? :eek:

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Because I rely on Wi-Fi, I need 64GB. I'm trying to eliminate the cost of Data which is why 16GB won't work for me.

18. bizack macrumors 6502

One note - a lot of people think/assume Dropbox stores everything 'in the cloud' and saves space on your device. That's actually not true. Dropbox stores a *copy* of everything in the cloud. There's still a local copy on your device. Dropbox was never meant or designed to save space. It was designed to share files across multiple devices. So you're not going to save much or any space using cloud storage (same goes for iCloud, Google Drive, etc).

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Instead of position in the road you need to decide based on your usage and preferences. Usage varies by person so you can't just poll to determine the storage capacity that you need. As for cloud storage it's also not a one-size-fits-all matter. Make sure cloud storage works for you and ensure that whatever solution you want to rely on doesn't use local storage as well.

20. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I've always purchased the 16GB version prior to the iPhone 6. I owned a 16GB 6+ for over a month after launch but found myself for the first time "limited" to what I could do as far as photos and videos were concerned. I returned it and got a 128GB 6.

It made a huge difference to me as I can now store whatever I want without worrying about running out of room. I take a lot of photos and videos of my kids and like the freedom

IMO, 16GB is not enough room for the average user. You really have to police your device to get away with 16GB ie stream everything or limit the apps you have.

If you're going to spend an extra $100 might as well spend $200 and get the 128GB model.

21. easyfame macrumors member

No....no you shouldn't.

22. Paco II macrumors 65816

This is actually incorrect when it comes to iOS devices and Dropbox. The Dropbox iOS app will maintain a small cache, but only files specifically saved are kept locally.

In regards to the OP's question, with the recent experience of some trying to do the OTA upgrade of iOS 8 and needing, but not having, 5GB of free space, I'd avoid 16GB. It really isn't enough if you plan to hold onto it for a while.

23. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Updating your phone can be an issue with 16gb storage, updates are getting bigger. It needs that freed up storage in order to install it if you are near capacity.

24. azhava macrumors regular

^ This. My wife's iP5 was a 16GB. She's nowhere near a "power user" - has next to no music, not many apps, etc. - but she takes (and stores) a LOT of photos/videos, .pdf documents, etc. She had about 2.5 GB of free space available, so we got her the 64GB when we upgraded to the 6+. I had a 32GB iP5 and had 5-6GB free space - no way the 16GB model would cut it for me. The way I see it, if I'm spending that much on a phone in the first place, I'd rather shell out an extra $100 (to quadruple the capacity in the case of the iP6) and not have to worry about juggling apps, playlists, photos, etc. for the next two years (which is typically how long we keep our iPhones).

Everybody's needs are different. If you don't use a lot of apps, don't take/store a lot of photos, stream all your music, etc., then 16GB may be more than sufficient. For others, it wouldn't even hold enough music to suit them, let alone everything else.

25. bizack macrumors 6502

How much can I store on my phone or tablet?
    « Back to Help Center

The Dropbox iPhone app can save as many files as your iPhone can hold or your Dropbox storage limit allows. If you find yourself running out of space on your iPhone, removing files from your Favorites list will clear up space on your device.