16gb/64gb/128gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -FlyAuburn-, Sep 10, 2014.

1. -FlyAuburn- macrumors regular

Why in the world did they do this to us. I'm still trying to figure out the thinking here. Wouldn't it been a perfectly natural continuation to go 32/64/128???

I feel like we've gotten screwed here as I was happy to not pay 300 bucks for a 32 gig this year and finally just be able to pay the $200 for my next upgrade.

Stepping down from 32 to 16 just isn't going to work so I guess $300 it is but I just don't understand it. I'll be happy to have the 64GB but I just was hoping for a cheaper option this year because my wife wants to upgrade too.

Anybody know why they did this?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16GB is the best selling model, so that is why they didn't discontinue that. As for the 32GB, I have no idea why they yanked that. But at least for the $100 extra you get 4 times the storage for what you paid for 32GB on earlier models.

3. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Who cares? They did it cause they'd never sell ANY 64 gig models if they offered 32 as the base.... Most users need 32gig only. The rest of us (like me) need as much as possible!

4. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Sure 16g was the best selling model, it was the cheapest.

If they where to offer a 32g as the cheapest option, then it would be the top selling configuration.

IMO once developers start creating/modifying apps for the new iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus - that 16g might start to feel a little snug.

5. jpeezy macrumors regular

This was a crummy move by Apple. They should have just replaced the 16GB with the 32GB. They know that 32GB is the sweet spot and they want people to upgrade to the 64GB for $100 more. I'm so disappointed with their pricing plans. The competition is getting better and need to adjust their pricing.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

My guess is to increase revenue and maintain their margins, ... the things their investors expect them to do.

I think making 32GB stock would lose them a lot of people who normally pay $100 for more storage.

On the same thought, I think $100 now getting 4x more than stock storage (instead of 2x) will likely make more people than even spring for the upgrade.

Personally, I was hoping for 32/64/128... Oh well. lol

7. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

It wouldn't be an Apple product without at least one ******* you to the customers!

8. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Why do people keep asking this. They did it to make more money by tempting people to buy the 64gb. Simple.

It is a business trick and it will work because you will be mad if you now buy a 16gb. However, the 16gb is still there if money is really that tight.

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

it's apple, it's their way to juice more money out of your pocket.

i will always get the base no matter wat, i just cant justify paying $100 for 16gb extra storage

10. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

From a marketing point it's brilliant.

Actually you get 48GB extra storage for $100 now.
    For me, I always went with the 32GB version so now I'm getting an extra 32GB of storage. :)

11. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

the 64gb seem to be a good chice thinking about it

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think $100 for the extra 48GB of storage is excellent. I think the 64GB versions will be very popular.

13. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

It isn't a trick, it's a price made very clear to the purchaser. It would only be a trick if it was somehow hidden.

14. superdudeo macrumors regular

Stop defending Apple on a very crafty business decision. Let's get this straight, 16GB was too small when the iPhone 4 came out. Now it's woeful and negatively affects user experience. Apple knows full well that people will have to opt for the 64GB. For the first time in 7 years, I am going elsewhere. No way I am paying that amount of money for 16GB.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have a 16gb iP5, and not once has my user experience been negative, what do you mean?

16. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

always had a 16gb ip4 and 5 didn't really have many apps but a few albums but on the 5 16gb was getting close to the limit so was gonna get a 32gb.

64gb seems overkill for my needs on a phone but suppose i am still paying what i pay for a 32gb

17. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

There are so many whingy threads like this it's almost unbearable. The price of the iPhone is exactly the same as it was and always has been (not counting the 6 plus). You get more for the money you would have spent anyway. In fact, counting inflation, you're getting even more than you did with the iPhone 4. You just wanted the 32Gb to be price of the 16 Gb, which is mighty cheeky.

18. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I love the move because I end up with 64GB for the same price I was regularly getting 32GB for. I've bought 32GB phones since the 4S, and it's usually enough, but I've been pretty close to full the last few months, so it'll be nice to have that extra breathing room.

19. Haifisch macrumors regular

I currently have 16G on my i5 and would go to 32G on my next phone. But now Apple is giving me an extra 32G for the same $100. I see no problem with their business model.

For some, it's never cheap enough.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There are two main types of buyers:

A) The ones who will buy the cheapest thing available, no matter what.

B) People who think about it awhile and then decide whether or not to move up or not.

Group A isn't really affected that much. Sure, it'd be nice to bump their model from 16 to 32, but the fact is that they're getting the same thing this year as last year. Not great but hardly the end of the world.

Group B got a nice incentive to get them to upgrade. Probably more of them will now. But it's still their choice. And now they can stop complaining that they spent $100 on "just 16 extra GB."

I don't feel that either group has been screwed here.

21. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I'm not defending Apple, I'm saying you are mistaken. Their decision isn't a trick nor is it crafty. It's either smart or it isn't

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, it IS a trick, but it's the exact same trick every single company on earth pulls.

Everyone gives you 3 items with the "middle" option begin what they really want to sell you. The lowest one is to make you feel like you made a good choice when you move up, giving you a sense of accomplishment. The highest is to make you feel like you were smart for saving some money. And the middle one makes you feel like you're the smartest consumer ever.

Then, of course, they get some new customers on the low end and some people with too much cash in their pocket on the high end, but those are are just bonus sales. The entire reason for both of those phones is to funnel more people into the middle option.

You see it in fast food, cars, clothing...everything. It's the most basic retail "trick" in the book. So I would call it a trick, but you're right that it's silly to blame Apple or complain about them doing what everyone else also does. I don't use "trick" in a negative way.

23. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I was anticipating spending $299 for the 32gb, so to get a 64gb at that price is a bonus for me. I can't justify needing an extra 64gb for the extra $100, so i'll be good with 64.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The base model is the most popular model. The fact that it is 16GB, I suspect, has little to do with it.

The answer is, they did it because they can. I am sure they are eager to see how it effects sales. If enough people are clamoring for the 64GB they may just make a 32GB base.

But you know how Apple claims they reach 98% customer satisfaction? Is this a survery? Or how do they produce these metrics. Because I would certainly like to voice dissatisfaction in this particular case.

25. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Well unlike most of the others this actually works out better for me, in the past I've always had to pay the premium price to get the 64gb version, this year I'm presented with the choice of getting double my memory for the same price or pocketing myself a nice $100 saving by now going with the "middle" choice iPhone.... Saying that, I'll be getting the 6+ anyway so it doesn't really apply, oh well haha!!

XIII