Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Has it ever been attempted to install over 16GB in a DC or QC PowerMac G5, or are we just speculating that it can't handle over 16GB of RAM? If someone has attempted to install over 16GB please post a link, regardless if it was successful or not.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes a few have tried it. The machine shows all 32GB, but is only able to access and use up to 16GB of it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Anyway Intell, what's the story behind your avatar? The mighty "Big Bird"?

He's a Muppet that I made for a high school art class. He's modeled after a real Sesame Street Muppet. For the most part, he stays in a bag in my closet. Used to take him to street fairs and such.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Is it possible to have 7 2GB sticks, and what is the order? And what is the order in slots to have 6 2GB sticks and 2 4GB sticks?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Darn! Micro Center had no 4GB DDR2 sticks! I'm stuck with 12GB until I newegg the RAM.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Darn! Micro Center had no 4GB DDR2 sticks! I'm stuck with 12GB until I newegg the RAM.

Do you use anything close to that 12Gb? If not then 16 won't make a bit of difference to anything - I use 12 and don't even get to 50% of that..

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
OP,

IMHO, you can put more than 16 GB into a G5, but it does not really matter whether you slot the DIMM's or just tape them to the bottom of the case.

In any case, is your question another: "I want to see if it is possible - no matter whether it makes sense" -thing, because I really want to see you (or anyone)
a) really need 16+ GB RAM and
b) be able to convince me you would not be better off with a newer (intel) desktop mac.

RGDS,

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
OP,

IMHO, you can put more than 16 GB into a G5, but it does not really matter whether you slot the DIMM's or just tape them to the bottom of the case.

In any case, is your question another: "I want to see if it is possible - no matter whether it makes sense" -thing, because I really want to see you (or anyone)
a) really need 16+ GB RAM and
b) be able to convince me you would not be better off with a newer (intel) desktop mac.

RGDS,

I frequently photoshop multiple images, have 20 tabs open per web browser window with 4 windows total, play minecraft. program in java and c simultaneously, have a web server in the background, and rarely edit video in after effects, all at once.

I currently have 6 2GB dimms installed, if I get 2 4GB dimms will the memory be shown at 20GB and have 16GB accessible or have only 12GB accessible.

Last edited:

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I frequently photoshop multiple images, have 20 tabs open per window with 4 windows total, play minecraft. program in java and c simultaneously, have a web server in the background, and rarely edit video in after effects, all at once.

I currently have 6 2GB dimms installed, if I get 2 4GB dimms will the memory be shown at 20GB and have 16GB accessible or have only 12GB accessible.

Nevertheless, it is not possible. Such tasks you are mentioning, sounds more like you're trying to impress someone. I don't believe it is true. I do all my work on my iBook G4, and all I use:

4 tabs in aurorafox
Postbox Express
Safari with Facebook

If you need more computing power, better switch to a Mac Pro (Intel)

----------

He's a Muppet that I made for a high school art class. He's modeled after a real Sesame Street Muppet. For the most part, he stays in a bag in my closet. Used to take him to street fairs and such.

That sounds creepy and cool at the same time...

wobegong

May 29, 2012
I frequently photoshop multiple images, have 20 tabs open per window with 4 windows total, play minecraft. program in java and c simultaneously, have a web server in the background, and rarely edit video in after effects, all at once.

Wow - If you have all that open at the same time and work that way too you must be the most inneficient person on the planet.... Play Minecraft while working and at the same time edit 20 photos and code in java and c?? Lol...

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Wow - If you have all that open at the same time and work that way too you must be the most inneficient person on the planet.... Play Minecraft while working and at the same time edit 20 photos and code in java and c?? Lol...

Hey, give it to rabidz for his multitasking skill. We only have a pair of eyes and hands, right? lol.

I have a day job, and at work it normally, Illustrator CS3, Photoshop CS3, Pages, Safari, Mail, iChat, QQ, Preview (for viewing PDF's) and other tools open on a 2GB PowerBook, how about that, and still have room to spare on the memory.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I just ordered a 2x4GB kit to add to the 12GB, and I will see if it works when it arrives. Is there any specific slotting pattern that the 4GB chips must go into so they can coexist with the 2GB chips. I am planning to have the chips in this pattern:

---------------------4GB
---------------------2GB
---------------------2GB
---------------------2GB

---------------------2GB
---------------------2GB
---------------------2GB
---------------------4GB

Will the above pattern work?

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
It should work.

BTW it's possible to "need" to use more than 16GB of RAM in a G5. For example, I used once my iMac as a big home server, and every other computer in the house was a thin client (connected to a remote virtual server in the iMac), so I could use all the power of my Intel Quad Core iMac in small, less powerful machines, but it took a LOT of RAM if all the clients are connected.

For a single person, I don't think there's a big difference between 8, 12 or 16GB. Better buy a good SSD.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
My RAM has arrived, I installed it in the G5 this way

---------------4GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB

---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------4GB

It only showed 12GB.

I tried it this way:
---------------0GB
---------------4GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB

---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------4GB
---------------0GB

It didn't work, the second test ruled out bad slots, but the RAM may be bad, however I don't have another computer to test the 4GB sticks on. What should I do?
How do I check how much RAM is in the G5 in OpenFirmware?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
My RAM has arrived, I installed it in the G5 this way

---------------4GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB

---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------4GB

It only showed 12GB.

I tried it this way:
---------------0GB
---------------4GB
---------------2GB
---------------2GB

---------------2GB
---------------2GB
---------------4GB
---------------0GB

It didn't work, the second test ruled out bad slots, but the RAM may be bad, however I don't have another computer to test the 4GB sticks on. What should I do?
How do I check how much RAM is in the G5 in OpenFirmware?

Are you sure that your 4GB RAM sticks are low density ones? If you bought it from the bay then it's most likely that those RAM are of high density.

And are you sure that they are 533MHz?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Are you sure that your 4GB RAM sticks are low density ones? If you bought it from the bay then it's most likely that those RAM are of high density.

And are you sure that they are 533MHz?

Do they have to be low density? They are some random speed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.