16GB iPhone by Christmas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobt, Oct 10, 2007.

1. bobt macrumors regular

I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on an iPhone but really want at least 16GB. With the 16GB Touch being released recently, I'm hopefully we might see the 16GB iPhone soon. With a trip around the holidays and desire for the email functions at that time, I'm really hoping we may see at least the memory increase by then.

Any recent inside info?

2. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I wouldn't hold my breathe. Get an 8GB iPhone and use it , get your money's worth, and save up for a 16GB iPhone realistically due by June 2008 at the earliest.

edit: Of course I could be wrong but seriously, an iPhone with twice the amount of memory 6 months after the 1st one is released? To top that off someone will probably find a means to file a class action lawsuit against apple for upsetting people who bought the 8GB again.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm thinking more Q1 2008 (Christmas update is pretty unlikely) along with a 3G update.

As for the people being upset... Nokia seems to release new phones every day. Why people are against Apple being competitive just confuses me. An updated model doesn't make your one do anything worse than it did before. OK, the tone of that's a bit harsh, but you get the idea :eek:

4. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

This is true, however Apple isn't that type of product company historically. They have a 1 size fits all mindset and release updates to hardware once a yearish, sometimes longer, seldom shorter. I wouldn't realistically expect them to change their approach with their phone product line.

5. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

All I'm saying is....

Can you imagine the backlash in Europe if Steve dumps a 16Gb model 2 months from release of the 8Gb iPhone ?? It would be worse than the $100 rebate when the 4Gb was junked. That's a BIG market to p*ss off

6. Noeld macrumors member

Financial analysts have issues expectations of larger capacity iPhones to be released before Christmas. Studies have shown financial analysts to be far more accurate than a bunch of forum members posting their gut feelings.

My gut says that they will announce a 16Gb model on the same day as Leopard is announced and it will hit stores in time for the Nov 9th Euro release. A new model iPhone with expanded features will be announced in Feb.

7. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

+1

I have a strong gut :p. Not only are financial analysts biased, although you are correct historically fairly accurate, they are just dead wrong on this one. Mis informed or Mis informing , either or.

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Touch has two memory slots, the iPhone has one.

A clue to getting a 16GB phone would be the release of the 32GB Touch. It'll happen at some point, I'd guess maybe in the spring.

Me, I'll have had my iPhone 6 months by then :)

9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yup which is why I based my guess on this. Anyway, MacGuides seems to really show how bad analysts are. In fact, I think forum users are in a better position to give guesses as they tend to know more ins and outs.

Changing at the Euro launch date sounds like a pretty bad idea especially seeing as all the publicity from the $200 price drop is still in the public's mind.

10. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Given their exclusive deal with AT&T, and that AT&T uses Edge, if Apple releases a 3G iPhone wouldn't they effectively be sidestepping their agreement with AT&T and therefore forming a partnership with someone else?

Personally I don't think Apple *can* release a 3G phone until the deal with AT&T is over whether they have one designed and built or not. Unless of course AT&T upgrades to 3G. Any bets on that one?

As someone else said, don't wait, get an 8Gb and use it today. I've only had mine a week and think it's awesome.

Cheers.

11. mrJnC macrumors regular

A 16Gb iPhone is highly unlikely so soon. There is only enough board space for 1 Flash storage chip. The iPod Touch uses two such chips.

And the last time I checked, a 32Gb chip didn't exist.

12. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Yep, a lot of people are hopping Apple will have a 3G model to compete with Asia market. Which is one of the reasons why the guessing "analysts" and others are putting an update around the time frame of Q1 08 to coincide with Apple's statement of having iPhone in asia in 08.

Mind you, these are the same people hoping that iPhone would have a 3G model out to compete in Europe ;) . It would make sense to do so, and personally i was hoping a 3G model would hit Europe also (even the i live in the US), but that didn't happen.

Last time I checked steve said no 3G until we resolve " Battery Life "

... I think I just found my new sig to replace my soon to be outdated sig come 10.5 :D "Battery life"

13. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Can you imagine the uproar if Apple released a 3G iPhone in Europe and Asia before the US? My god I can almost hear people screaming from here.

Cheers.

14. Noeld macrumors member

Alalysts don't guess, they analyze. Their decisions guide billions of dollars in investment. Anything that was published without due diligence leaves the bank libel in a big way and trashes their reputation.

15. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Not to be picky but it's a 16GByte iPhone not a 16Gbit.

That's 4GB.

I'd love to believe that they'll have a 16GB iPhone lined up for the UK launch but given they've named the price point I'd doubt that will happen.

16GB by April, 2nd Gen iPhone by November. Slightly pessimistic but I'd say realistic.

16. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't see how that it is retarded. You should care what is written as it can mean a huge difference in what is being discussed. If manufacturers started trying to sell you a 400Gb hard drive as opposed to a 400GB hard drive, it would help to know the difference and that you are being ripped off.

Further, to someone new it could be misleading. Like saying Macs have GB ethernet instead of Gb. Surely here we can infer what Gb means, but to someone who doesn't know anything about these things they could get ripped off or make a mistake because of this misunderstanding.

Correcting people promotes the practice of good habits when it comes to understanding computers, among other devices. Far too many people are idiots when it comes to this stuff and the propagation of inaccurate information should be corrected as much as possible. Doing so will give us more informed people and that cannot hurt.

18. GTiPhone macrumors regular

No new models of iPhone for the next 6 months minimum. It WILL be announced... why? Because it has to be that's why.

People so selectively forget things they don't want to hear. Any new model iPhone will be announced WELL ahead of its release.

That is unless of course there are no changes to the phone whatsoever except the harddrive. In that case I would NOT buy one for the $499 it would retail for....waste of money....

Even though thats what I spent on a 4 giger 3 months ago. :(

19. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

There is a better chance of World Peace and the total elimination of global warming occurring than a 16GB iPhone by Christmas.:rolleyes:

20. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

How can a written comment be retarded? Just curious........

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

If I was being retarded I would have just said that, apart from the incorrect units, he pretty much repeated what I'd posted earlier on.

22. bobt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I didn't realize the single slot memory issue which makes it seem pretty unlikely for a 16GB iPhone soon. I'll probably wait about another month and then make a decision.

Totally off topic but I'm typing this on a new style keyboard. I'm in love with the feel of this thing.

23. Noeld macrumors member

The fact that the iPod touch does not use a 16GB NAND makes the 16GB iPhone before Christmas even more likely. Samsung, which supplies the memory for the iPhone, announced 16GB and 32GB NAND last spring. The 16BG is supposed to be available in devices in stores in the 4th quarter of 2007 and the 32GB are supposed to make the scene in the 1st quarter of 2008. When I first heard of the 16GB iPod Touch I was afraid that was where these modules were earmarked for, but that is not the case.

24. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

25. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

arguments over the correct way to abbreviate gigabyte...

sometime this forum makes me feel really nerdy :eek: