16GB iPhone Screen Issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinstorm, Feb 5, 2008.

1. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Its typical the one day I don't check on the gadget sites and a new bigger capacity iPhone is out! I would have already bought one if I had known about it!

I even walked past the O2 shop and didn't think to have a look (of course why would I!)

Anyway I was wondering what the new screens on these 16GB iPhones are like?

Are they the same panels as before? are the blacks better? I know a few of you have them so I would be interested to hear thoughts on how they compare to your original 8GB iPhone screens!?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's the same iPhone, just more memory. Same screem, same EDGE, same iPod, same phone, same Apps, same screen. There is no difference.

3. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Could someone who KNOWS what I am talking about and who has one let me know!

For those who don't know - every iPhone has a screen from a specific batch all of differing quality - to date there have been 4 different screens in the iPhone.

The original US phones had more natural colours and were less likely to suffer from dead pixels in addition to having perfect blacks and a blueish tint... whereas the more recent UK screens have had a yellow tint along with dodgy blacks and wierd colours! so that is what I mean...

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Your talking about the 7 vs the 5 screen aren't you?

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes I think you are reffering to something that was fixed long time ago, I hope you KNOW what you are talking about, cause if that's not it then i don t know what you are talking about either.

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I think he was referring to the 5 vs 7 with the 5 showing checkerboards or something on the screen. I don't remember it clearly cause I never had an issue.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

My LCD version on my new 16GB is a 7. I have three iPhones here and all are 7. Screens are nice and sharp and clear with bright colors.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I got my touch a couple weeks ago and the screen is fine too

9. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

yes I meant the 5 series vs early 7 series and then the crappy mostly UK 7 series screens.

I know over the last month or so there was a different panel number as well - also 7 series but different from the rubbish UK screens (I know some of u may have perfect UK screens before anyone complains to me) so I am wondering if the panel on these new iPhone's has the same colours as the original 5 series or is similar to the cheaper/not as good 7 series screens!

10. alFR macrumors 68020

Why not have a look yourself, since as you're known to be a "demanding consumer" you probably won't be happy until you do? :)

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Oh, you're back?

Why don't you go look for yourself instead of waiting for others to tell you theyre fine, and then for you to go and look and decide they are not fine and "[we] don't know what [we're] talking about"

Either way, I hope you find an AbFab screen and live happily ever after!

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I would imagine that the whole screen issue that was on the iPhone and Touch's are gone by now...

13. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

I bought a 16GB iPhone today and unfortunately the screen although being a different panel number has the same negative black and yellow tint issues as before! (well at least the one I got).

On a positive note there do not appear to be any dead pixels so at least thats an improvement!

Obviously there is no point in taking the phone back because as far as Apple is concerned it is perfectly alright!

I am dissapointed with the fact that the screens are not as good as they were before specially given the extra premium on the 16GB phone!

I must however say that it is really nice to be able to add all my music I want (around 8GB) and still have space for a load of tv shows and films and STILL have space on the phone - now this is more like it!

Obviously like everyone else with a huge music collection (I imagine a few hundred GB worth) I had to seriously chop my music to get it on the original iphone and I could forget adding new stuff without deleting something - not to mention videos which there were no room for! this double space is quite something!

14. Zeos macrumors 6502

I just picked up the 16 GB iPhone today. And sure enough, I compared the 8GB side-by-side with the new 16GB, and the 16GB has a very noticeable yellow tint. The 8GB is a clean white.

What's up with that?? :mad:

15. B.A. macrumors regular

Maybe I'm blind, but they look identical to me (had an 8GB and switched to a 16 today).

16. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

It depends on what screen is in your original 8GB iPhone - if it was an original (ie, came with 1.0.2 or below firmware) then it will have a 5 series or GOOD 7 series with a nice blue/white (depending on your perspective) tint (well I think its nice) and better colours and perfect blacks (ie they DO not dissapear and make the screen negative when you look at a black scene in a video).

The later 8GB screens (ie european and then US) all have this yellow tint and depending on the LCD black problems (note some European phones seemed to get earlier good panels as well somehow - just in case you got one of those!)

I hoped the 16GB being at a premium may go back to better panels however despite having a different LCD than the previous models it is clearly inferior and has issues!

Why is it like that? because Apple have used lower quality screens it seems and that is all there is to it - and I know from contact with Apple that they won't accept the screen is faulty so we are stuck with them!

17. kjor76 macrumors newbie

There are definite differences

I just got both my 8GB (originally 1.0.2) and 16GB iphones up and running side by side and there is a definite difference between the two. However, in my humble unexperienced opinion, neither looks 'better' than the other, depending on your preference.

The older one is definitely darker overall but has better color definition, and worse shading (levels of grey in shadows). The 16 seems much brighter but as a sacrifice to turning the blacks a little washed out and grey (not as black as the 8). The reds and yellows seem less vibrant on the 16 but the greens and blues are more vibrant. Video and image quality appear unperturbed (apart from seeming brighter and a little washed out).

I am a little peeved about this as side by side I would prefer the screen color saturation of the 8. But the MUCH louder speaker and overall brighter screen and extra 8 gigs far outweigh the difference.

Just my 2 cents.

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My 16GB has less negative blacks. I'm happy with the 16.

However, my "down" volume button is mushy. I have found a lot of iPhones have that problem. I hate to say goodbye to my 8GB, which had such strong buttons.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

my 16gb screen definitely has a warmer colour temperature than my old 8gb one and also has a much higher contrast setting to the point of being almost too contrasty. If I'm honest, I preferred the old screen

20. Sith Scorpius macrumors newbie

Sith Scorpius

I must say that my new 16gb has a much more crisp screen to it. I would say it was a big difference to my old 8gb.

21. ej2zo macrumors member

Hold on here..........so are we saying the 8GBs screen is CLEARLY better than the 16GBs?:confused::confused: I'm in the market for a 16.... now I'm really confused on which one to buy.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Read the few posts before yours, they are saying the screen on the 16GB looks better.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You know my 16 is better than my 8 was, blacks are easier to see. It's less saturated though, which some might not like. Don't compare them side by side, and you'll be ok.

There is big differences between each iPhone in all sorts of areas (screen buttons, etc. etc. )

You just have to get one that doesn't have any serious issue and enjoy.

24. kjor76 macrumors newbie

I agree with Powerbook911. After a few days with the new 16GB, I notice that in daylight, even bright sunshine, the screen is much easier to see and work with than my 8GB was; colours and contrast are much sharper. The colours are much less saturated (which, I guess, I liked). As long as I don't sit them side by side I can't really tell that there is less colour sat. I really enjoy the extra memory, and the battery life feels much better (brand new!).

Overall, I don't believe it is any worse than the 8GB, if anything it's an improvement. Anyhow, if there was a problem, my apple store (Madison, WI) would be more than happy to swap it out. They have fantastic service.

K...