16GB iPhones in short supply?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peterwdale, Mar 15, 2008.

1. peterwdale macrumors newbie

I bought a 32GB iPod Touch a couple of weeks ago, and was really blown away by everything it does. I was trying to hold out for the 3G iPhone and got the Touch to try to hold me over until it came out. But it was just too cool, decided to return the Touch in the 2 week return window at the Apple store, and get a 16GB iPhone.

I was surprised the Apple Store (Natick, MA) was out of stock, and even on the Apple Online Store (where I did order one yesterday) they are on backorder, scheduled to ship in about a week.

Any thoughts as to why? I am surprised there is such a backlog on this rather expensive ($499) phone, especially with the 3G one expected in a few months and rumors of a price decrease on the existing Edge-based iPhones.

Thanks!

2. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Well, if you look on the bright side, an increase in demand means an increase in supply, causing prices to fall.

3. ThreeOhTwoLX macrumors newbie

call a local AT&T store, they seem to have them in stock. its what I did cause the 5 apple stores near me were all sold out:apple:

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not really...

[​IMG]

So here, demand and supply increase, but price also increases. Technological advances mean that the product will likely improve, but production methods will get cheaper, so the iPhone will likely stay at a similar price.

5. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Whoa, I meant the original 16g iphone. Not like the advancement in capacity. Like how the increase in supply and manufacturing decreases the production cost. So we should be seeing the 16 replace the 8, and a 32 sooner than we thought.

Cool diagram did you make it. I remember seeing stuff like that in economics, but then again my teacher was the football couch, and I only had him for 3 weeks on account of it was summer school.

6. neilford macrumors member

Same in Los Angeles. I went to 4 stores. All out of 16G iPhones.

neilford

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

peterwdale-- can you let us know how long it takes for you to actually get your phone from online? Wanted to purchase one as a gift and since it seems like the store are sold out, I may end up ordering from there (or buying a gift card and letting the recipient deal with it!)

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm tellin ya'. 3G iPhone with 32GB of memory = hotcakes. Even more than the current 16GB model.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I will buy one as soon as it becomes unlockable, as long as its no more expensive than the current 16GB.

10. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Lol I think psychofreak must also be in business because I cringed at your original post about supply and demand. Basically, an increased demand actually leads to a reduced supply and increased cost for the buyer. Supply and demand are opposites. If the supply and the demand both increase the world will collapse in on itself. :eek:

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

none in NYC apple stores as well.

had to brave an ATT store to get mine

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, ditto. I wait patiently.

13. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Oh O.K., thanks, I get it now. I guess it just takes someone to say it in a different way.

Emulsion

14. l4t13 macrumors regular

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

psychofreak, you have the...

coolest charts ever! :p:cool:

16. peterwdale thread starter macrumors newbie

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm actually doing AS economics, so I'm not "in business". I made it with Skitch (actually awesome for economics diagrams).

18. pp1gonzo macrumors newbie

miami

I can't find a 16gb anywhere in Miami. I posted a thread on this before I saw this threat (oops!). There is a post on this shortage at http://www.personafile.com/products . I hope Apple isn't having supply problem, but rather demands problem... in other words, a "high-quality" problem.

19. yojimbo1 macrumors member

Availability of 16GB iphone

I purchased an 8GB iphone last week at the Apple store in NYC. I wanted to get the 16GB, but they were out-of-stock. The sales guy said they had been out-of-stock for a week and he didn't know when he would get them.

Anyone else have trouble getting the 16GB model?

20. sindrejibb macrumors member

Anybody have news about this? I hope I could buy a 16 GB in New York around 10th april!

21. sindrejibb macrumors member

Bump! Nobody knows?

I will be really angry/sad/whatever if they not have the 16GB there around april 10th.

If ANYbody knows ANYthing, tell us here!!!

22. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

no one knows what the store's stock will be tomorrow let alone in April!

23. sindrejibb macrumors member

What did you mean with that? let alone in april?