16GB vs 4K, which one dies first?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wallabe, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I've been arguing for years. It's 2015, the iPhone should really start out at 64GB minimum, and go up from there, but we're still at 16GB storage (really less than that after formatting and OS). I wonder which one lasts longer, the battery, or the storage space, when recording 4K videos.

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

For a 16GB phone? The space will fill up way before the battery is even on the verge of dying.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'd say 32gb as a base is a more realistic option.

The storage will run out quicker before the battery. Simply switch it to 1080pp so its not a problem.

4. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing Apple really want you to use their iCloud.

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

They are a for profit company after all...

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

I would, if carriers started to offer way better prices for their data plans. It's 2015 already, no need to charge 30 Euros for a measly 1GB of data per month.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually it is about selling iPhones. If/ Apple offered 32GB as the starter then a higher percentage of buyers would not need to spend MORE ($100) money to move up. Remember if Apple 'forces' just 5% more people to upgrade from the base, this is a HUGE amount of money.

8. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I would assume the iPhone 7, 8, 9, and 10 will also start at 16GB, like the last few.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Pretty disappointing when you really think about it though.

Right now we've got better quality cameras on the phones which take up more space, better quality video recording, bigger app sizes, more apps, more people downloading/using apps on average, bigger app caches, and an operating system that takes up more space than it used to ~5 years ago. Hardware costs, especially Flash memory, have plummeted.

Yet we've had the same 16GB base storage on the flagship iPhone for 6 years (since the iPhone 3GS).

6 years is an eternity in tech terms. Skimping on storage is such a planned obsolescence move - as much as I hate that term. Get them into the ecosystem, make a lovely quality product, but cripple longevity with a complete lack of storage space.

10. Ritte macrumors regular

4k samples are available to download from apple site.
    A 21s video is 134mb which equals 6.38mb/s.

1Gb video gives you 164s = 2min 44 s.
    5Gb video gives you 820s = 13 min 40s.

But then you have iCloud storage where the original movie is stored. So your movies,stored at the phone, will probably be converted to HD to save space, since the Iphone screen can't display more than 1080p.

So this way 16gb users can shoot 4K-videos, and have them available through iCloud but store HD-video to save space.

11. Wallabe, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly my point. And that's why I said the 64GB should be minimum. Even if they skipped every other generation, it's only 16 > 32 > 64, that's just 2 steps away. Sadly, we're still stuck withe the iPhone 3GS capacities.

Now I know why Apple doesn't want external storage slots, like microSD. They want to force you to buy their storage cost from the beginning. A 128GB microSD card on Amazon is about $60.

12. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no plans to store any of my data on the cloud. I don't want to end up like Jennifer Lawrence. I'm sure Apple means well, but if a hacker can hack it, any government with any decent computing prowess would be able to do so just as easily.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh please. Apple's iCloud didn't get hacked. Jennifer Lawrence's account did.

What's more likely: that Apple's entire infrastructure was hacked, yet only a few n00ds from some celebs were stolen -- or some airhead didn't enable two-step verification and thought that 'iluvponies' would be a great password to continue using over the last decade.

14. jpadhiyar macrumors regular

cNet has also reported one of the reasons in detail why Apple is not killing 16GB iPhone.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's an awfully long article for something that can be summed up by this picture:

[​IMG]

16. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Committing decent rash of crimes lately?

17. fezzzer macrumors member

Is there a link to the videos?

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There are still many who prefer the 16GB model as they only use it as a phone. Why make them pay for more than what they need?

19. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I think that they're going to wait for the 10th generation of the iPhone (iPhone 7) to make the base model 32 GB. I might be being too optimistic, but I think that they were going to just go with the sizes of the 6 in terms of the 6s storage line.

20. Azzin, Sep 10, 2015

Azzin macrumors 68040

If I were you, I'd give up arguing and find a hobby! :D

I don't get why people get so wound up about a product they have no interest in. :confused:

There are loads of Apple products I'm not interested in, but I don't make it my mission to moan and argue about them on an Internet forum.

What is there to even discuss?

Buy the product you want/need, ignore all the others that you don't and let everyone else buy what they want/need/can afford.

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

How many people actually buy 16GB iPhones because it is what they need opposed to it being what they can afford?

It's hard to justify spending that much money on a base 6S instead of just getting the 64GB 6.

22. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I too thought about them wanting the user to use iCloud but not much of a money generator with only paying $.99 for 50GB?

23. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not at all. I know people would love to argue "If you have nothing to hide, then why worry?" In that case, can I have your email addresses and passwords? How about the keys to your house? You don't have anything to hide do you?

24. Wallabe, Sep 10, 2015

Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter if it's free. For example, even google gives you free storage space with the email and google drive. It's just an all out easy access for industrial and economic espionage. It's very easy for google or a government to come in and have a look around.

25. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's a lot to argue especially in a product that does harm to business and individuals, especially by governments like CGHQ (Britain).

People are being kept dumbed down by agents saying "There's nothing to worry about. :confused:"