Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
So here i am on my 12.9 inch iPad enjoying the heck out of this new magic keyboard, and i am thinking

I want a huge iPad. How great would it be to have a 17 inch iPad pro with a magic keyboard

A true large screen where multi window is usable as there is more real estate on the screen..

I could care less of the weight, as a large iPad like that would need to be handled carefully, but boy how great would it be to have a large immersive screen like this.

I am sure creators would be all over this

I am just a regular power user, but do a lot and need a large screen, The 12.9 iPad pro is my preferred device out of my arsenal of MacBook pro’s, lenovo Thinkpads, and IOS devices.

Please apple, make a gigantic iPad pro with magic keyboard for the few that would want this.

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
Today I was thinking about a 15 inch especialy for drawing..etc or for multi tasking because even the 12.9” in multi tasking sometimes becoming a little bit cramped. (right now writing on my 12.9 iPad pro in split window with a youtube video on the other side) so I thought that a 15” inch could be a sweet spot but I suppose that 17” would be too much for me. :D

Reactions: tothemoonsands

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think a bigger iPad is coming just a matter of when

There’s a big rumour going around that the 11 inch will be going to 12 so question is what would the 12.9 go to?

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
I'd rather just have my 12.9 Pro with aspect ratio matching for an external monitor. I have no interest in an iPad that size, having once had a 17" laptop.

Thats a relatable problem right there,

Currently there are no high resolution displays in my household with the aspect ratio of the iPad

Whenever i mirror to a tv or to any of my 5k displays, the black bars on the sides are present, this is not ideal

As a single screen device i think the aspect ratio is perfect, but as soon as you need to multi task or project screens, this aspect ratio is not ideal

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
17” is too big in my opinion, but 15” would be a sweet spot and would open the door for a bigger Magic Keyboard trackpad and top row of function keys.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Upping the two sizes slightly to 12.0" and 14.0" I could see, particularly as they are pushing these as laptop replacement devices with the new keyboard. I think beyond 14" would start to become difficult on a structural integrity front, at least without making it thicker and even more cumbersome as a tablet (i.e. at that point you're almost at the stage where it makes little sense to have a detachable design). While the Surface Book 15" does exist a lot of reviews suggest the tablet by itself isn't really practical, the benefit is being able to turn the screen round and reattach it in a sort of drafting mode for drawing and design work. Even though I really enjoy my 12.9", in this scenario I think I'd be more likely to drop down to the 12.0" than go up to the 14".

Virgilinsanity

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
UK
So here i am on my 12.9 inch iPad enjoying the heck out of this new magic keyboard, and i am thinking

I want a huge iPad. How great would it be to have a 17 inch iPad pro with a magic keyboard

A true large screen where multi window is usable as there is more real estate on the screen..

I could care less of the weight, as a large iPad like that would need to be handled carefully, but boy how great would it be to have a large immersive screen like this.

I am just a regular power user, but do a lot and need a large screen, The 12.9 iPad pro is my preferred device out of my arsenal of MacBook pro’s, lenovo Thinkpads, and IOS devices.

Please apple, make a gigantic iPad pro with magic keyboard for the few that would want this.

Are you saying you are concerned about the weight? I mean, it would be huge. And relatively heavy.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
And it would have to be correspondingly thicker for structural integrity. I doubt many people are truly interested in a 15 inch iPad that’s twice as thick (before adding cases, etc.)

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I agree with the OP. An over-sized iPad would be a blast, and I suspect it would appeal to a niche group of professionals such as animators, scientists and others. And I don't think a 17" iPad (at least seriously considering it and doing market research) is outside of Apple's mission--after all, they make the professional iMac (starting at $5000) and the Mac Pro. For the "average" customer it is hard to see a use scenario, but niche professionals are a different matter.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

How would you even be able to hold that? It is an iPad.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I don’t think you would like it if you actually had one in the hand. The form factor would require a lot of compromises.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
We all ready had a 17” laptop call the MacBook Pro way back in the early days

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think a bigger iPad is coming just a matter of when

There’s a big rumour going around that the 11 inch will be going to 12 so question is what would the 12.9 go to?
15.6" seems likely, but Apple needs more control surface integration to create a market outside
of art. Expect to pay for the privilege!

Fat.tofu

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2020
If apple ever gonna make one it better comes with a detachable iMac sunflower hinge.. ?

photo: iMac G4 17”

2BA8F7FA-D237-44CA-99E2-1CA6EC451B20.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
A 17” pro would be The ultimate flex, imagine walking into a meeting or taking pictures at a concert with one?

it would have to be made of a really dense material like steel or magnesium.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I'd rather they made a 27" iPad Pro with 3:2 aspect ratio that would magnetically attach to a stand like the one Apple XDR pro display has :p

Reactions: Wackery

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Why do people think a 17 inch iPad (or 27) would have the same use case as a phone or the smaller iPad?. 17-27 inch iPad would be "desktop" iPads. The new keyboard case with trackpad essentially ties the iPad to the desk when you use it anyway. However, drawing and note taking with the pencil is completely worthless when the iPad i docked to such a keyboard case.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Why do people think a 17 inch iPad (or 27) would have the same use case as a phone or the smaller iPad?. 17-27 inch iPad would be "desktop" iPads. The new keyboard case with trackpad essentially ties the iPad to the desk when you use it anyway. However, drawing and note taking with the pencil is completely worthless when the iPad i docked to such a keyboard case.

Exactly my point

Different use case, would be super useful on a desk or at starbucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.