17 inch portability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rajux, Aug 6, 2009.

1. rajux macrumors newbie

rajux

Hey people

ok heres the story, ive been seriously contemplating on buying a new macbook pro for the last year or so.

Ive narrowed my selection down to 2 models:

1) 15 inch Macbook Pro, 2.8Ghz, 500Gb HDD, standard spec yada yada yada
    2) 17 inch Macbook Pro, 2.8Ghz, 500Gb HDD, standard spec yada yada yada

anyway as you probably know they are expensive models

i would prefer to have a 17 inch deep down for the higher resolution and slightly bigger screen size however i will be intending to travel couple times a week to college, so i wanted to know if anyone had an issue carrying their own as i feel portability may be an issue.

Also the 17 inch is £150 or $200 more expensive which makes it a deeper blow to my pockets.

Am i committing suicide by traveling with a 17 Macbook Pro quite frequently?

I'd like to thank anyone in advance that takes their time to help out :cool:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean sure, it's not the funnest thing to do. But if it was a problem I wouldn't be getting another one, and I'm not sure if the 15" solves the overall problem. I'd say go for it.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have a 17-inch uMBP, the one you want to get, and I take it with me with a backpack, and sometimes I have to look again, if it's really there.
    I had a 15-inch uMBP before, and it is no big difference at all.

4. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

so your saying uve carried the 17inch?

and wouldnt mind doing it again if you were in my shoes?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've owned a 17" Computer for 5 years now, about to get a new one next week for college. No problems, just find a decent backpack.

6. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Yea i do see what you mean, i have the same problem distinguishing the difference even after numerous visits to the Apple store.

But I might jus be a little light headed because it is tech heven there :)

Apple store and real life is a bit different.

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I'll be getting the 17" MBP too in a few weeks (before the iPod promotion stops) but I will be moving from a 13" Macbook to the 17"

It's going to be a goood day =D

8. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Thanks man :D, you getting a 17 MBP aswell then?

9. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Yea thats what im doing, just stacking up money for it

oh btw goldenmackid love ur gold finder avatar :)

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yepp. Sign up for the ADC if you are a student.

Thanks for the avatar comments, nothing else good be more fitting.

11. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Yes i was thinking of that but after serious digging around it would only work out maybe about £20 cheeper, but if i dont do ADC i can have a 3 year warranty which is what id rather have.

12. vintagemacsrule macrumors newbie

i have a 17 inch and i carry it back and forth to school every other week and i got used to it. i say its worth it to get the 17

edit: its not a mac

13. Macbimmer macrumors newbie

I've had 2-17" MBPs over the last 3 years. I carry one everyday in my backpack no matter where I go, and I travel all over the world. I want nothing else for screen size, resolution, multiply windows open and watching movies. If you can tell a one pound more in your backpack, you're pretty sensitive. But I can assure you you'll be able to tell a 17" screen vs. a 15" with the amount of data you can view at one time. I'll buy another 17" when I buy again.

And, my wife has a 13" Macbook and I use her laptop, I only get about 75% of the same sized window on her screen as I'd have on mine, and it drives me nuts having to scroll up & down - left & right all the time.

Buy the 17" you'll be happiest knowing you got the best.

14. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

Thumbs up for the 17"

I have both the 13" uMBP and the 17" MBP. I like them both. However, if I could only keep one of them, I would not hesitate in keeping the 17".

15. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Thanks for the input man

16. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

I LOL'D

Yes but at a very expensive price, o-well

17. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Fair enough, thanks for the input

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can multi-quote via the [​IMG] button on the right of the [​IMG] button.

You click on that [​IMG] on the posts you want to quote and then press [​IMG].

I just give you a heads up, as posting several posts in short order, is considered spam on most message boards.

On topic: If you have the cash, get the 17-inch MBP if you need the screen real estate, it has not to be at an Apple store, as there will be quite some stores that offer them cheaper.

19. djemyoudjel macrumors newbie

djemyoudjel

well I bought my 17'' uMBP on April just because of the battery life.

I have used many 17'' laptops though out my campus life and I must say 15'' is always a better choice. I also bought a MBA to use when I am travelling around or if only I have a class that I am just supposed to use Pages to take notes.

Otherwise I am still carrying the uMBP.

Don't ever intend to buy a postman style laptop bag if you are going for the 17''. I am quite happy with my bag choices, but after a while carrying a 17'' hurts your shoulders and neck. Go for a decent Incase BackPack. They have room for many things and the design is pretty sleek.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah ADC in the UK is not as good as the U.S.; you have found an answer though.

21. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I had a powerbook G4 17" for about 4 years and bought my unibody Macbook Pro 17" in may. I never considered to get a smaller screen. I take my laptop home from work every day 6 times a week. I ordered a hardshell axio backpack to carry my things along with my powerbook 4 years ago. The thing is full of scratches but it still fits my needs.

22. rajux thread starter macrumors newbie

rajux

Thanks for the heads up, erm as far as ordering from another source doubt it as some have offered only £50 off which is the same as $83.50

In pounds sterling money compared to us dollars the 17 mbp costs $3,084

LOL i was thinking but after consideration i would be scared of bashing the bag with my leggs while walking which already happens with heavy textbooks

Well i heard its 20% off as opposed to a 15% education discount.

But as i am in a software development course i would actually like the benefits of the tools given.

Im dead scared of scrating the mbp, its like setting fire to money but minor things are going to appear no matter how much your trying to protect it.

im planning to also by a colasac and then put it in my backpack
    as for proctection

23. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I was referring to the shell of my backpack, not to my old powerbook or my new MacBook Pro.

24. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I would like to know how a 3KG laptop can hurt your neck. I am a Postman and carry upto 6 bags of mail each weighing around 16KG. Now THAT can but a burn on the shoulders.

However, if you were referring more to having the laptop 'bang around', just get a case

25. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're worried about scratches, apply an invisible shield to your MBP (best skins ever doesn't make a version for the 17").
    If you need protection against drops, get a well padded case. Tom Bihn's brain cell is a good example of that.