Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I'll try to be as direct as possible

2011 MacBook Pro

Started it up, noticed that when the lid was closed the screen stayed on (wouldn't sleep)

For some reason the laptop wouldn't stay powered on unless it was connected to MagSafe, although the battery is acknowledged by the system, charged, and is in normal condition.

Now the laptop shut down randomly and can't even make it past the boot up before shutting itself off.

Any ideas what's going on?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Could be the ol' GPU failure, if that hasn't ever been repaired.
It has been repaired. Sigh

It seems like it might be overheating? I put a fan directly on it and now it boots.. I take it away, shuts down. But istats is reporting its only 30 degrees Celsius. Doesn't seem to be overheating..

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
It has been repaired. Sigh

It seems like it might be overheating? I put a fan directly on it and now it boots.. I take it away, shuts down. But istats is reporting its only 30 degrees Celsius. Doesn't seem to be overheating..

Does sound suspicious. Is that 30 deg C really the highest temp of all the measurement points? Are the fans running hard?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Does sound suspicious. Is that 30 deg C really the highest temp of all the measurement points? Are the fans running hard?
Fans don't really run hard at all normally. I don't think it even has time to run hard. If the reason this is shutting down IS because of overheating, it must be some sudden spike in which turns the laptop off. But it still won't go to sleep, so I'm thinking there's a bigger issue at hand.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
It does seem that any machine would be hard-pressed to get warm enough to overheat while booting. Your putting a fan directly on it could be a coincidence, or affecting it in some other way. I'd suggest trying it a few more times.

Also, when it's running, check the console for error messages (might be trying to tell you something).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.