17" MBPU: 1 yr anniversary rapport

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pagga, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    17" Macbook pro 1 year old!

January 2009 saw the first 17" Macbook pro "unibodies", sporting a maximum of 2.93 ghz processor, 4 or 8 GB ram and solid state HDs (optional). They were the first unibodies with firewire 800 and backlit keyboard. The screen was "gorgeous" and had better colour rendition than any previous notebook. Some said the anti-glare option (unique to the 17") was preferable, other not ...

How is your one year old faring?

As for mine, I couldn't be more satisfied. I´ve no incidents to report and the machine has been used several hours each day.
    I spilled some coffe on the keyboard, but it had no negative effect - in fact the computer was just a little more snappier the next couple of hours.
    I'm considering switching to SSD, but at the time there's no real need. Battery is good (see snapshot).
    I got my wife a 13" with low specs, and it has had a few issues, including a HD break down which had us reinstall everything.
    We're currently running snow leopard on both machines and are backing up to a 2 TB time capsule.

Suma sumarum: The 17" feels almost brand new. Happy birthday, sweetie!

Attached Files:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

My 2.66GHz is almost a year old (bought it at the end of February).

It stays at home, mostly, so I only have 12 (yes, twelve) cycles on the battery (pretty much just the monthly exercise).

I upgraded the HD to a WD Scorpio Black 7200 RPM 320GB almost immediately. Last month, it got the 8GB RAM upgrade (Crucial).

All and all, I'll have to say it's Apple's best portable design yet. I still marvel at the unibody case. :)

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

If I did a one-year anniversary "rapport" for my uMBP, it'd be pretty much the same as yours.

Except I'd end it with "I'm so content that I have no desire to upgrade to another Mac at the moment", which is something I haven't said in many, many years of having owned Apple notebooks. :eek::D

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Really? My Late 2008 15" definitely has a backlit keyboard and FireWire 800...

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I am pretty sure there are and have been notebooks with 8 bit color and wide viewing angles which are much better than the 6 bit TN LCDs Apple uses. Apples displays are superior to most notebooks, but I know of a couple notebooks which use PVA and IPS displays, and I am sure there are others.

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I got my 13" MBP in June, when they came out, and my battery has a 96% charge. I love it!

Habitus :apple:

7. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I can't wait in a couple of years when I upgrade. The one thing I miss on my computer is the awesome battery life these new unibody s have.

8. Pagga thread starter macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I will probably get the 8GB ram update as well.
    That combined with a SSD will keep it pushing
    for several years to come.

In fact, if I get a new one, I´ll probably keep this one as a combined home- and backup machine

9. mesq macrumors member

^^ Sorry do you mean report or rapport?

In this case I guess both are a possibility...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I own a unibody 15" MBP and it turned one year old last October. I've been incredibly pleased with how its been holding up. Both performance wise and looks/case durability wise.