17" Unibody Macbook Pro graphics issue widespread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 16, 2009.

1. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Seems like there are two different issues - The one I've experienced is a flash (black out) or flicker of full or partial (like lower 1/2 or 1/3) of the screen seemingly randomly. This is different than a "green lines" or other distortion type of artifact. For me, it's also only when on the 9600 (the discrete GPU). From my monitoring of temps and activity, I can't correlate it with anything in particular.

Many people report booting into Windows (bootcamp), and not experiencing any problems with flash/flicker - which says it's most likely an OS-X driver issue. Actually, tonight, I went through an install of XP, and didn't see any signs of the flash/flicker (during the install - haven't run much on XP, yet).

This is the only problem I have with my 17" UB MBP (bought it on 2/26), so I'm very hopeful this does turn out to be a software problem. This is the best design, IMO, Apple has come up with yet - runs noticeably cooler than my 2.33 C2D did, and the glass trackpad is great.

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

While I get there are some people with graphic issues, the thread title cracks me up :)

It's like people find two threads on the same topic and the fact that probably less then 5% of the MBP owners even bother visiting forums and it's "widespread" sounds like chicken little and the sky is falling!!:eek:

Enjoyed the laugh, thanks ;)

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I tend to agree it's not "widespread". For one thing, there's no feel for how many owners have bothered to switch to the 9600 (or paid attention to which one they're on).

I know Apple's aware of this issue (the one I'm seeing, anyway), but there's nothing "widespread", that I'm aware of.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

If Apple saids that they are aware of this issue.. doesnt that already mean a good number of people have complained about this graphics issues and its a big deal?

In the past when it was a minor issue Apple never acknowledged the issues unless it was a big deal. Also dont forget, Apple sure loves to erase threads that may make them look bad. So it could have had more official threads just cut down significantly.

5. stepheneleven macrumors member

stepheneleven

Well judging by the fact that these forums dont have more one or two threads about the issue makes me think that it isnt widespread. I thought it was more widespread at first when my machine got the problem and then i went into my local apple store and got it to show up on there display unit in a matter of minutes. But apple is replacing my unit so hopefully i get a good one this time and never have to visit these kind of threads again.

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Hopefully the new units from recent batches have these issues fixed. I hate to see the 17" models being affected with any issues for that matter.

The 17" mbp/powerbooks have almost always been without issues until now...

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

My point being I've seen two threads on the topic in the past week or so about the 17" and one person has an issue, asks everyone to run certain stress tests, which I gladly did and the thread develops that the person starting the thread ends up the only one with the issue. Forums are filled with people with issues typically, the happy customers are busy using their machine for productive things lol. I have a perfectly working UMBP but come to the site to learn more about the machines as I've only been using Mac's for about 7 or 8 months now. I've had the white MB, MBA Rev B and 15 UMBP and now the 17 UBMP and all 4 machines when I had them ran perfectly. Zero issues with anything, and when I sold or exchanged them I had no issues with the Apple store going beyond their 14 day limit to make me happy. I've been very happy with the overall Apple experience and see why they have a loyal following.

As for Apple removing threads on the Apple forums no clue, hell I'd be happy if they did, at least they know they are interested in the problem! The forums become very entertaining if you watch them on a regular basis, each day similar threads pop up with a new title, I honestly found your title to be a good one, it sounds like a major announcement, I was like holy S@#$ what's happened now!! lol Anyhow hopefully those with issues get em swapped out and it gets sorted out by Apple quickly.

Cheers! :D

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have neither. Even when my GPU diode reached a high temperature of 95 deg C. Does that mean I'm an exception?

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I had one of the first 17" Unibody's and no issues whatsoever, and im probably the most intensive graphics user you'll ever meet.

10. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

It's not widespread enough to have affected mine. No such problems to report here.

11. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

12. xilni macrumors member

xilni

I also got my 17MBP pretty early and I've had no problems whatsoever.

The area above the screen brightness controls gets hot whenever I start gaming on high settings but otherwise great frame rates and no flickering.

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm curious as to whats causing the flickering of the screens in the first place.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It can be as simple as a bad display connection to the logic board or firmware or something more complicated like bad drivers/bad hardware.

15. Deelron macrumors regular

I had an early 17" and got the green lines on pretty quickly in both OSX and Windows (only on the 9600M). I got it replaced and my replacement machine (which I've run in a similar manner) has been absolutely a dream, and is notably cooler to the touch.

16. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

What production week is your replacement machine?