Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsiiist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Im sick of of all those random reboots, crashes, lagg and the slowness on my 7.0.6 5S. It's been nearly a month since beta 5 (2/4/2014) what gives, when do you guys think the GM will be released? And b4 you imply, I am not paying the 5$ on a udid register.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I confess I've reloaded Macrumors around 1PM a few times hoping the GM is released.

Although I'm on beta, I want to get OFF beta already.

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
In my opinion apple should release a beta 6 before the GM. There are still some annoying bugs in there. If they release a beta 6 tomorrow, they are still good in time with the 15th March.

Apparently only apple knows...You will have to wait :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Well if it were to come out at 1PM it would be PST

Apple tends to release stuff around 1PM Eastern (10AM Pacific). I happen to be in the Eastern time zone. :)

It makes sense; 10AM is an hour into the workday for them, enough time for everyone to get coffee and catch up on E-mail before Pushing The Button. Then they have the rest of the day to be around in case something horrible happens.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Apple tends to release stuff around 1PM Eastern (10AM Pacific). I happen to be in the Eastern time zone. :)

It makes sense; 10AM is an hour into the workday for them, enough time for everyone to get coffee and catch up on E-mail before Pushing The Button. Then they have the rest of the day to be around in case something horrible happens.

Yes, but the betas sometimes have come out at 1PM in the past.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Judging by previous iOS versions release table, iOS 7.1 beta 5 is the last beta before GM. iOS 6 last beta before GM took 37days, 6.1 40days, 7.0 26 days. Now we have beta 5 for 25 days so mostly next release will be GM and it could be tomorrow or next week

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Im sick of of all those random reboots, crashes, lagg and the slowness on my 7.0.6 5S. It's been nearly a month since beta 5 (2/4/2014) what gives, when do you guys think the GM will be released? And b4 you imply, I am not paying the 5$ on a udid register.

Not another thread regarding when Apple's next update will be released. We all know the issues within iOS 7 are VERY annoying but you know that iOS 7.1 isn't far away.

GM will be out on Monday or Tuesday at 1800 GMT.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
There doesn't seem to be any launch event or major announcement pending, something that iOS 7.1 might be tied to. I know that iWatch and iOS in the car are expected, but speculation and leaks haven't risen to a creamy froth that would indicate a pending announcement.

So for all our breathless anticipation, I don't see anything that will push (or drag) 7.1 out the door. I expect Apple to take their own sweet time on this. Just because they can.

... and to be fair, software should ship when it's ready. Not before.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I say let these threads keep on coming until they release a damn update. I've had more springboard crashes on 7.0.6 on a 5s and iPad air in a week than I get in a month on 7.0.4. My iPad now crashes doing the most random things whereas before it was very seldom.

This is total BS and Apple should have had this as a top priority months ago and release a small update.

This is considered a show stopping bug. Instead 6 months later and it's still an issue not to mention worse.

3 weeks ago they finally admit it and here we are with an update that doesn't fix the issue.

I love these products but the more people complain the more they see. And yes I'm gonna say this with full confidence, it's a different Apple now and there's no way in hell Steve would let this go for 6 months. By the second springboard crash he would have been in there throwing his iPad against a wall saying " fix this it sucks". This is an issue that affects millions and millions of devices. It's definitely 64 bit related.

Not sure how all the executives at apple are ok with having shiny new devices with the new apple screen of death.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I wasn't talking about devices, I was talking about Androids fragmentation and yes Androids fragmentation has a huge impact on the end user. Read up a little, sounds like you can use it.

Repeating what you've heard somewhere doesn't make it true. But you are free to continue to believe so.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Yeah they do and I like how you know it will be 10am pacific it brings order to it but I would rather have them push the button the second they are done with it or if they don't want to be releasing stuff at some random time the next O clock.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011

Actually I am not sure why but after 7.0.6 my Air become much more stable, it is still crashing Safari but not as often and no random reboots anymore. Is it possible that apple did something we don't know and watching results?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hate to burst your bubble but stock Android is rock solid and has been for quite sometime. The key is not to buy an Android tablet with bloatware. Stick to vanilla Android and it's all good.

You're leaving out a few important things:

1. You can't buy a Nexus branded phone from a wireless carrier store (where the average consumer shops)

2. The average consumer doesn't even know what AOSP is and think Samsung IS Android.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
iOS 7 is way buggier than any Android version I've ever used.

Safari crashes constantly and I get a black Apple screen about once a week.
Strange. I had never a iOS crash (not a single one aince I bought my first Phone, a 3G).

My colleague with his Galaxy S4 and native Android (Marshmallow, Mars, Snickers or whatever it is called :D ) has regularly issues.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Strange. I had never a iOS crash (not a single one aince I bought my first Phone, a 3G).

My colleague with his Galaxy S4 and native Android (Marshmallow, Mars, Snickers or whatever it is called :D ) has regularly issues.

Not having a single crash is very unusual. If you have a look around these forums the safari crashes are often reported.

iOS 6 and previous versions were very stable but iOS 7, not so much.

There are some pages that crash safari every time I visit. Other times it just craps out randomly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets get back on track and discuss iOS7.1 and not android. We have an alternatives forum if you wish to discuss the merits of android, this thread is not the correct place for such discussions.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Actually I am not sure why but after 7.0.6 my Air become much more stable, it is still crashing Safari but not as often and no random reboots anymore. Is it possible that apple did something we don't know and watching results?

No it's not fixed. Some users are reporting it's better but other like myself are saying it's worse. My devices are crashing to the apple logo a lot no during even more random things like being in the middle of playing a game. Or surfing the web.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Go to settings -> about -> usage -> diagnostics and crash logs (I'm doing this from memory, but it's something like that) and you'll see a list of all of the recent crashes on your iPhone.

dsiiist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Go to settings -> about -> usage -> diagnostics and crash logs (I'm doing this from memory, but it's something like that) and you'll see a list of all of the recent crashes on your iPhone.

Correction: settings ==> general ==> about ==> usage & diagnostics

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In my opinion apple should release a beta 6 before the GM. There are still some annoying bugs in there. If they release a beta 6 tomorrow, they are still good in time with the 15th March.

Apparently only apple knows...You will have to wait :)

March 15th doesn't make any sense.....its a Saturday.

More likely the 17th - we see a Beta 6 on the 3rd, GM on the 10th then official release on the 17th.

Or Beta 6 on the 3rd, GM on the 17th and official release on the 24th.

Either way - we're still a few weeks off at least. I don't mind them taking their time. They have that luxury right now whereas when the 5S was coming out, iOS 7 HAD to be ready (it wasn't - at least not in the way I imagine Apple preferred it to be).

Relax - crashes are annoying, but they are minor inconveniences. 7.1 will come (soon) and when it does, we'll get to enjoy iOS 7 the way Apple intended from the start.

In all honesty, I think I might be going back on my thought its better for Apple to keep up with the annual release even if it means a less than stellar OS. Don't get me wrong - I'd still MUCH rather be on 7 than iOS 6, even with the bugs, but part of me just would like for Apple to take its time.

But alas, the market doesn't work that way. Release on schedule, but with some bugs, and you're crucified. Don't release on schedule and you're crucified. Ahh well.

Wonder how much they could help themselves if they released stock app updates via the App Store independent of OS updates (ala Android)....they should move this way.

----------

I say let these threads keep on coming until they release a damn update. I've had more springboard crashes on 7.0.6 on a 5s and iPad air in a week than I get in a month on 7.0.4. My iPad now crashes doing the most random things whereas before it was very seldom.

This is total BS and Apple should have had this as a top priority months ago and release a small update.

This is considered a show stopping bug. Instead 6 months later and it's still an issue not to mention worse.

3 weeks ago they finally admit it and here we are with an update that doesn't fix the issue.

I love these products but the more people complain the more they see. And yes I'm gonna say this with full confidence, it's a different Apple now and there's no way in hell Steve would let this go for 6 months. By the second springboard crash he would have been in there throwing his iPad against a wall saying " fix this it sucks". This is an issue that affects millions and millions of devices. It's definitely 64 bit related.

Not sure how all the executives at apple are ok with having shiny new devices with the new apple screen of death.

You're mistake is thinking this happens to everyone.

I've had ONE springboard crash on my 5S and a handful of app crashes over the course of ownership (release day 5S).

Truth is, some are experiencing lots of crashes, and some of us aren't experiencing many at all.

Just relax - the fix is coming. You act as if Apple is purposefully sitting around saying "HAHA look at jonnyb098 - he's so pissed!!! *Tim picks up phone* Hey Ive, Federighi - hold off for a little longer on that 7.1 update. We want to see these guys squirm."

They'll release it when its ready. Or would you rather them release two major updates in a row that aren't ready for primetime?

Truth is - they were forced to released iOS 7, and right now they can take their time (no unofficial "deadline"). Let them get everything right and release a rock solid 7.1. Honestly, after the redesign, 7.1 will likely be what the next few years of iOS are built on.

To a certain degree, its like we're back at iOS 1.0 - with some HUGE fundamental changes having happened. It won't be like this forever. Only a few more weeks at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.