Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
there are three possibilities. beta 5 > beta 6, beta 5 > gm, beta 5 > public release. i'm thinking the later.

Last edited:

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
The next beta/gm could come at any time. I have a feeling it might be like how 6.1 was last year when it was seeded as a beta, but ended up being the GM which saw a Saturday evening release for developers and then was out to the public the following Monday. Not saying it will be this weekend though, but that a new developer build can drop any time and is not regulated to the same time schedule as the public releases.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/26/apple-seeds-ios-6-1-beta-5-to-developers/

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/2...w-lte-carriers-and-fandango-siri-integration/

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
The next beta/gm could come at any time. I have a feeling it might be like how 6.1 was last year when it was seeded as a beta, but ended up being the GM which saw a Saturday evening release for developers and then was out to the public the following Monday. Not saying it will be this weekend though, but that a new developer build can drop any time and is not regulated to the same time schedule as the public releases.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/26/apple-seeds-ios-6-1-beta-5-to-developers/

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/2...w-lte-carriers-and-fandango-siri-integration/

if we went with this, beta 6 would be march 1st and final release march 3rd. i doubt that is going to happen but we will see.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
However you want to categorize that, "truth" is not one of them.

If they hadn't released iOS 7 last year, they would've been crucified. Whether by an "official" deadline, or not, the market has forced these companies into annual updates. The jump from 6 to 7 was larger than any update previously, yet they still had the same amount of time to work with.

But if it's easier for you to just be irrationally upset, please - don't let me stop you.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
if we went with this, beta 6 would be march 1st and final release march 3rd. i doubt that is going to happen but we will see.

I wasn't necessarily trying to pinpoint an exact date, but just saying that those who think because a beta wasn't released at 10:00 a.m. PST doesn't mean that there could be no beta today or any day for that matter. That time is typically only on public releases.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In a way, he's right. They don't do .2 updates and they already released 6.1. They had no choice but release 7! :p

Has nothing to do with whether or not they do X.2 updates....if they hadn't released an iOS 7 last year people would've gone nuts.

He'll just look at the worthless vitriol that's spewed at supposed "lackluster" annual iPhone updates.

Consumers are fickle and idiotic as a group. They also dictate how quickly these companies introduce new stuff. Oases have become an annual thing and that's the expectation. Deviation means negative response.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wasn't necessarily trying to pinpoint an exact date, but just saying that those who think because a beta wasn't released at 10:00 a.m. PST doesn't mean that there could be no beta today or any day for that matter. That time is typically only on public releases.
That time is typical for betas as well, but perhaps not as much for GMs. That said, all kinds of releases (beta, GM, public, etc.) have come out at other random times or other random days as well, so there's really nothing that could specifically expected, even if something (like 10 AM Pacific on various early/mid-week days) might be more likely than something else.

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
Still debating whether or not to go back to 7.1 beta 5.. im on 7.0.6 currently. :p
Only downside is that the SSL patch is not available for 7.1 beta 5.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Wondering now if its pushed back even further due to the 5s finger print issues and reports that Apple is working on a fix for it. Would make since to add that to 7.1 and just take care of it all at once. It would be nice however to release 7.1 then maybe followup with 7.1.1 to address any remaining issues like touch ID or whatever.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wondering now if its pushed back even further due to the 5s finger print issues and reports that Apple is working on a fix for it. Would make since to add that to 7.1 and just take care of it all at once. It would be nice however to release 7.1 then maybe followup with 7.1.1 to address any remaining issues like touch ID or whatever.
Or the news of that just came out, but they've been working on that fix for 7.1 since beta 5 was released and already have it in place (similar to the SSL fix that they hopefully added in as well).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If they hadn't released iOS 7 last year, they would've been crucified. Whether by an "official" deadline, or not, the market has forced these companies into annual updates. The jump from 6 to 7 was larger than any update previously, yet they still had the same amount of time to work with.
The crucifying of Apple for not releasing iOS7 also is not fact, but speculation. Apple was in complete control as to what they chose to include in iOS7. They are experts on what they are capable of doing. Well experienced project managers know what their teams are capable of and plan accordingly. Even in the event of the unexpected, they have have contingency plans to ensure that a target date is made with a particular level of quality assurance.

But if it's easier for you to just be irrationally upset, please - don't let me stop you.
...and when one cannot defend Apple by rational thought... go personal. :rolleyes:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Or the news of that just came out, but they've been working on that fix for 7.1 since beta 5 was released and already have it in place (similar to the SSL fix that they hopefully added in as well).

Good point maybe that's part of the long delay. Maybe next week, or the next or the next or the next or......

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The crucifying of Apple for not releasing iOS7 also is not fact, but speculation. Apple was in complete control as to what they chose to include in iOS7. They are experts on what they are capable of doing. Well experienced project managers know what their teams are capable of and plan accordingly. Even in the event of the unexpected, they have have contingency plans to ensure that a target date is made with a particular level of quality assurance.

...and when one cannot defend Apple by rational thought... go personal. :rolleyes:

Lol - I'm actually the one thinking rationally here.

I have X amount of work to do to make OS1 in Y amount of time.

The next year, that amount of work increases a bit because technology advances and more is required of the devices - my work is now 1.5X but I still only have Y time.

Fast forward - for the last 6 years, I've been building on the same platform, but this year I decide to change the architecture and completely redesign my OS. Not to mention the same feature updates and release of any normal year. My amount of work skyrockets to 3X, yet the expectation is that I still release the update in Y time.

Do I say, "Well I have 3 times the amount of work, so it will take me more than Y time" meaning I shun expectations and just release when I'm ready? Or do I decide "These components are critical to achieve a decent experience. If I only do this, my work drops down to 2X which can be accomplished in Y time".

Essentially, you made my point and I agree with you. Apple made the choice to release a somewhat rough iOS 7 because they decided internally it was better than shirking consumer expectations by not releasing any updates at all. So why complain about this? For most people iOS 7 works fine - occasional crashes, a springboard reload here or there, but nothing that causes the phone to be unbearable - and the iOS 7 features are great and add functionality that wasn't there in iOS 7.

Every 6-7 years we'll deal with this (provided the annual timeline continues). Where instead of building on prior years, a redesign and architectural jump must happen but in the same amount of time usually reserved for keeping the same OS up to date.

Do you really think the level of quality should be exactly the same when doing 2X the amount of work in the same timeframe? I can't imagine. Your argument then is that they should've waited. You may say I'm speculating - and I am. I obviously can't know FOR SURE, what would've happened. But I can say that each year we have an "S" iPhone update, people go apesh** about how its not a real update and about how Apple needs to update more. So I have a hard time believing the general consumer base would have a blase attitude to NO new release.

Apple weighed the options, and released iOS 7. That's good enough for me - especially since I seem to have some magical powers that cause this worthless OS to work on all my devices quite well.....not saying I don't experience some crashes, but its nothing like the complaining that happens here.

Anyhow - I'm just sick of hearing about it. The sooner we all get it through our heads that Apple can't do anything right, and we should just accept it or buy something else, the happier we'll all be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.