Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
This thread is to have a centralized place to discuss the validity of the rumors that say Apple will release a 5.5" iPhone this fall/winter.

I will start up the conversation.

We have seen countless 3D printed mockups suggesting a 4.7" as well as a 5.5" iPhone 6 is on the way.

But there is no hard evidence that a 5.5" iPhone 6 is in the pipeline.

Let's talk mockups. Anyone can make a mockup. You could print one with a 3D printer or mill one out of a slab of aluminum. All you need are the dimensions of all of the external features, CAD program to render it in 3D, a CAM program to convert the 3D model into USABLE G-Code for a CNC machine.

So... where do these dimensions come from? Allegedly from someone who has access to specs, design drawings or blueprints... who leaked them out... for either money, notoriety or both.

Ok... so the design is leaked. That is evidence right? Not really. They could be spot on. They could be from an earlier design that Apple has since tweaked. They could be a rough estimate from hearsay or from a brief amount of time spent with a prototype or prints.

Also... there is what I believe... that the 4.7" mockups are accurate, and 5.5" are "best guesses" as to what a 5.5" model would look like. It is pretty easy to extrapolate what a 5.5" model would be like based on a 4.7" design.

So what would be "hard evidence? In my book, "hard evidence" would be an unmistakable, undeniable part leak. A leaked back housing. A leaked glass/sapphire front panel.

Things like leaked logic boards are intriguing. They give proof that SOME KIND of new hardware is coming. You know... THAT particular board isn't used in any of Apple's current hardware. But you don't know what new hardware it is intended for.

For example:

MacRumors recently posted THIS ARTICLE that "compares a 4.7" iPhone logic board to a 5.5" iPhone 6 logic board." I argue that the larger logic board could be coming from an updated iPad mini.

These logic boards aren't enough proof.

So the hard stuff? There have been 4.7" model back shells leaked. There is a 4.7" sapphire/glass panel obtained by tech Youtuber MKBHD that he demonstrated in a video about a month ago.

But there has NOT been a SINGLE PART LEAK for a 5.5" iPhone 6. We would surely have seen SOMETHING by now if it was coming.

I would like to point out some history:

In 2011, people were convinced that we were getting a "large iPhone 5 with a tapered aluminum back shell."
iphone_5_mockup_back.jpg

Many of the same media outlets and sources were reporting it up until a few days before the keynote. But... ALL WE HAD SEEN OF THIS 'iPHONE 5' WERE MOCKUPS. There were NO LEAKED PARTS. But... a few weeks before there were leaked parts of "something."

Then, just days before the keynote, there were mixed reports that Apple was releasing the iPhone 5 and a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 that would be called iPhone 4S. Some outlets reported that there was no iPhone 5 and only a "4S." Some even reported that the new "tapered iPhone" would be called 4S and not iPhone 5.

On October 4th, 2011 Apple revealed ONLY an iPhone 4S. NOTHING ELSE.

The very next day, Steve Jobs passed away.

So yes. Based upon all of this... I DECLARE. There WILL NOT be a 5.5" iPhone in the foreseeable future. Come September 9th 2014, if I am wrong, I expect to see this thread bumped with "I told you so!."

But if I'm correct, I will be the one bumping it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This thread is to have a centralized place to discuss the validity of the rumors that say Apple will release a 5.5" iPhone this fall/winter.

I will start up the conversation.

We have seen countless 3D printed mockups suggesting a 4.7" as well as a 5.5" iPhone 6 is on the way.

Let's talk mockups. Anyone can make a mockup. You could print one with a 3D printer or mill one out of a slab of aluminum. All you need are the dimensions of all of the external features, CAD program to render it in 3D, a CAM program to convert the 3D model into USABLE G-Code for a CNC machine.

So... where do these dimensions come from? Allegedly from someone who has access to specs, design drawings or blueprints... who leaked them out... for either money, notoriety or both.

Ok... so the design is leaked. That is evidence right? Not really. They could be spot on. They could be from an earlier design that Apple has since tweaked. They could be a rough estimate from hearsay or from a brief amount of time spent with a prototype or prints.

Also... there is what I believe... that the 4.7" mockups are accurate, and 5.5" are "best guesses" as to what a 5.5" model would look like. It is pretty easy to extrapolate what a 5.5" model would be like based on a 4.7" design.

So what would be "hard evidence? In my book, "hard evidence" would be an unmistakable, undeniable part leak. A leaked back housing. A leaked glass/sapphire front panel.

Things like leaked logic boards are intriguing. They give proof that SOME KIND of new hardware is coming. You know... THAT particular board isn't used in any of Apple's current hardware. But you don't know what new hardware it is intended for.

For example:

MacRumors recently posted THIS ARTICLE that "compares a 4.7" iPhone logic board to a 5.5" iPhone 6 logic board." I argue that the larger logic board could be coming from an updated iPad mini.

These logic boards aren't enough proof.

So the hard stuff? There have been 4.7" model back shells leaked. There is a 4.7" sapphire/glass panel obtained by tech Youtuber MKBHD that he demonstrated in a video about a month ago.

But there has NOT been a SINGLE PART LEAK for a 5.5" iPhone 6. We would surely have seen SOMETHING by now if it was coming.

I would like to point out some history:

In 2011, people were convinced that we were getting a "large iPhone 5 with a tapered aluminum back shell."
Many of the same media outlets and sources were reporting it up until a few days before the keynote. But... ALL WE HAD SEEN OF THIS 'iPHONE 5' WERE MOCKUPS. There were NO LEAKED PARTS. But... a few weeks before there were leaked parts of "something."

Then, just days before the keynote, there were mixed reports that Apple was releasing the iPhone 5 and a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 that would be called iPhone 4S. Some outlets reported that there was no iPhone 5 and only a "4S." Some even reported that the new "tapered iPhone" would be called 4S and not iPhone 5.

On October 4th, 2011 Apple revealed ONLY an iPhone 4S. NOTHING ELSE.

The very next day, Steve Jobs passed away.

So yes. Based upon all of this... I DECLARE. There WILL NOT be a 5.5" iPhone in the foreseeable future. Come September 9th 2014, if I am wrong, I expect to see this thread bumped with "I told you so!."

But if I'm correct, I will be the one bumping it. ;)

WSJ, Bloomberg, and Re/Code (headed by Walt Mossberg) all have confirmed the 4.7 and 5.5 inch phones. All three are very reputable, and have a great track record of having controlled leaks from Apple.

I'd say it's pretty much confirmed.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have to agree as well. There's plenty of rumors with the hot words "may" or "might" in regards to the 5.5 inch screen.

Although, I'll be on board with getting the 5.5 inch model. I just don't see the justification of releasing a 5.5 inch model. I understand the Note argument, but what sets that apart is the stylus. I had a Note 3, and having a stylus along with it... It's definitely neat.

And the rumors pointing to releasing the 4.7 inch model first and waiting a month or so for the 5.5 inch model is pointless as well. Granted millions will be buying the 4.7 inch model, but I'll wait to compare the two (in hands) before making my decisions. And I would assume that thousands if not millions will be in the same boat.

We will all know in about a month, but the rumors surrounding the mystery of the 5.5 inch model seems like a dream. I'm sure Apple thought about it, but I doubt it would actually make the event.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
For OP: I commend your letting it all hang out. You will either reap great rewards or astonishing humiliation.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
Welp. I think I'll just put a place holder here, but I think there will be a 5.5" iPhone with a later release date.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303544604576429292482910586.html

Oh wow... here is the WSJ in 2011 reporting on "upcoming iPhone that is thinner and lighter in design." :rolleyes:

Easy to do when you pick a generic article.

They have quite a few more detailed and informative articles as well correctly confirming upcoming Apple releases, both hardware and software, including correct confirmation of Touch ID, as well as the changes coming in iOS 7.

Say what you want, but they are very credible, and have a track record of being correct. Also, when it is substantiated by Bloomberg, and Re/Code (again, headed by Walt Mossberg, who Apple has leaked much information to in the past), it's pretty solid information. Whether you choose to buy into it or not, that's your choice, and is perfectly reasonable. All I'm saying is that those three sources alone is enough to convince me.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
If there is a 5.5 phone it will not arrive at the same time as the 4.7. My guess would be 2 months later. It may be announced but won't be available.

If for no other reason than marketing for the Christmas Season and sales of the bread and butter model at launch.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Lol, putting a place holder here is a great idea. There will be lots of edits come September release.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm not sure if we will see a 5.5" iPhone 6, but then again i wasn't sure we would see a iPhone 5C last year. Personally i would like the option between a 4.7" and the 5.5" even tho i'm not 100% which i would buy, having the choice is a good thing. But this is Apple and they rarely give in to what people want.

Personally i think :apple: have been testing bigger screen iPhones for a couple of years now. I remember an interview with Tim Cook where he said Apple wasn't interested in bigger screen iPhone's while trade off's existed, such as battery life. So in this time, they must have been playing around and found a way to produce a bigger screen while still keeping the excellent quality :apple: are known for :cool:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I guess the closer we get to the event we should see a 5.5 leak if there is one. So far there's really been nothing.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I want a 5.5" more than anything, if they end up releasing one i will end up buying 6 of them for myself and family members, yes all 6 want the 5.5" if released..They all know the size of the Note 3 and do not care, the Iphone 6 5.5" will most likely be smaller than that i would imagine.

Anyway....Its looking kind of bleak IMO...There are really no leaks at all if you think about it for the 5.5" other than those internal parts from a couple days ago..but who knows if those are legit. I remember this same thing happening last year or when the Iphone 5 came out...We knew there was a 4.0" coming out but everyone was also thinking a 4.7" was coming out with that one also...never happened.

It would be way out of the ordinary for Apple to do it, but I am hoping that is the direction they are moving in and do it.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014

Let's talk mockups. Anyone can make a mockup. You could print one with a 3D printer or mill one out of a slab of aluminum. All you need are the dimensions of all of the external features, CAD program to render it in 3D, a CAM program to convert the 3D model into USABLE G-Code for a CNC machine........

Ok... so the design is leaked. That is evidence right? Not really. They could be spot on. They could be from an earlier design that Apple has since tweaked. They could be a rough estimate from hearsay or from a brief amount of time spent with a prototype or prints..........

So what would be "hard evidence? In my book, "hard evidence" would be an unmistakable, undeniable part leak. A leaked back housing. A leaked glass/sapphire front panel...........

So the hard stuff? There have been 4.7" model back shells leaked. There is a 4.7" sapphire/glass panel obtained by tech Youtuber MKBHD that he demonstrated in a video about a month ago...........

Do you see what you did there? You are saying the 4.7 rear chassis is hard evidence, when the fact of the matter is anyone could have come up with that (Goophone, Wico). I haven't seen any hard evidence of a 4.7 either. Of course that's my opinion.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
There's been a lot more evidence of a 4.7. A rear chassis alone is way more than we've seen from a 5.5. It's just very unlike apple to introduce two new sizes at the same time. I can see the 4.7 being the 6 then the 5s becoming the 6c.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
WSJ, Bloomberg, and Re/Code (headed by Walt Mossberg) all have confirmed the 4.7 and 5.5 inch phones. All three are very reputable, and have a great track record of having controlled leaks from Apple.

LMAO, wsj having a great track record? They were saying Verizion was getting an iPhone since 2007, when it did come in 2011 (4 straight years of them being wrong) they weren't even the ones who guessed when it did happen.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012

WSJ and Bloomberg are only very accurate on dates, like event dates and release dates of devices; nothing more. So September 9th event date I can be assured of ;)

I still think the 5.5" is coming, but probably on a later date closer to Christmas. They'll show the 4.7" iPhone with a weekend release, and have the 5.5" iPhone as a "sneak-peak" preview with closer to late November or December launch. Or they could just go aggressively and release both in the same day and get people crazy :D

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I find it extremely hard to believe Apple will increase screen size more than 30% in one year. Apple is AVERY slow compared to competitors on most things, it took pulling teeth to get a half inch increase. 4.7", yes, 5.5", doubtful this year.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Agree with the OP.

Apple won't cannibilize iPhone sales by releasing two new models sizes.

They are probably testing the 5.5 size. Just like there were reports in 2013 (before iPhone 5s launch) apple was testing 4.8 inch screen size.

Apple development cycle is always 18 months ahead of official launch (with iPhones).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I find it extremely hard to believe Apple will increase screen size more than 30% in one year. Apple is AVERY slow compared to competitors on most things, it took pulling teeth to get a half inch increase. 4.7", yes, 5.5", doubtful this year.

That's how I feel. 5.5 could be iPhone 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.