Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in early July, Samsung launched a new Galaxy S5 ad calling iPhone users "Wall Huggers" and mocking the iPhone for having a short battery life while touting the battery-saving capabilities of its own newest flagship phone.

Samsung has now expanded its "Wall Huggers" advertising campaign to select airports, according to CNET, displaying Galaxy S5 ads alongside power outlets.

In addition to highlighting the Galaxy S5's Ultra Power Saving Mode, the ads include the words "So you have the power to be anywhere but here," possibly poking fun at Apple's own recent line of app-focused advertising, which revolves around the tagline "You're more powerful than you think."

samsunggalaxys5ad.jpg
First introduced in February, Samsung's 5.1-inch Galaxy S5 includes a fingerprint sensor, a water resistant casing, and a heart rate sensor, along with one of its most highly touted features, the Ultra Power Saving Mode. This mode activates a black and white display with limited app access when the phone's battery is low, cutting off LTE and disabling WiFi/Bluetooth to provide up to an additional 24 hours of standby time with less than 10 percent of battery left.

While Apple does not have a similar power saving feature on the iPhone, it does provide users with quick access to settings like WiFi and Bluetooth, plus options to disable battery draining features like background app usage and location services. Apple's newest operating system, iOS 8, also includes battery saving functions like Battery Usage, which lets users keep an eye on apps that are draining too much power.

Many people are hoping Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 will introduce better battery life, but signs have pointed towards only modest battery gains thus far. Various rumors suggest the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 could get a battery between 1,800 and 2,100 mAh, a moderate improvement over 1,560 mAh battery in the iPhone 5s.

Samsung's Galaxy S5 ads can be found at the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, at the Newark Liberty International airport in New Jersey, and at the O'Hare and Midway airports in Chicago. The advertisements may also expand to other airports in the future.

Update: MacRumors reader Harrison Weinerman has sent in a much clearer image of Samsung's new outlet ad taken in Terminal C at the Newark airport in New Jersey on August 10.

samsunggalaxywallhuggers.jpg

Article Link: Samsung Expands Anti-Apple 'Wall Huggers' Advertisement to Airports

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Not that I like these samsung adverts one bit, but thats actually pretty clever.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Still find it pretty funny how Samsung take to attacking Apple's users, their potential customers, rather than Apple themselves. So smooth.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If they are truly confident that their users don't need wall outlets, then they should turn words into action and remove all of these:

samsung-mobile-charging-station.jpg

Why pay for something that only your competitor needs?

johnfrombeyond

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
So ironic

Only Samsung could take their biggest overall weakness -- power hungry huge screen phones with short battery life -- and try to make it seem like a strength. Their marketing people are bold!

Just got back from a trip and did an informal wall-hugger poll: I noticed 4 people with Samsung phones, and 0 iPhones. One Samsung user had his phone plugged into the wall, but he was happily typing away on his iPad.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Samsung continue to cater to what they believe are their biggest supporters: Apple haters. I don't think it's much of a generalisation to say that most people I know with a Samsung phone have pre-branded Apple users as being ignorant and stupid. I think that Samsung believe what will win them this war are the users preaching which side to pick.

However in the long run, I sincerely believe that Samsung will fall. Despite their revenue for advertising and manufacturing, there's now not much that puts them ahead of other Android OEMs, and they're not awfully cheaper than Apple phones either.

I really do think that when the larger screen iPhone comes out, there will be very, very few reasons for people to go Android. It will be Apple's turning point. Samsung are terrified, and I think this is reflected with their recent advertising.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
i won't deny apple iPhone users are wall huggers....sitting there and not sharing the cord at LAX airport.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Everyone I know with a galaxy, is always complaining about poor battery life. So I don't know what this is supposed to prove.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Still find it pretty funny how Samsung take to attacking Apple's users, their potential customers, rather than Apple themselves. So smooth.

You didn't hear? They're spending 10 billion dollars to get the fence sitters not trying to make people switch.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

LOL yep...
My other laugh is that I'm the guy at work who gets by on one charge.

All the Samsung users have huge screens and quad-core CPUs so HAVE to recharge 1/2 way through the day or leave their phones constantly plugged in while at work.

If Samsung's phones had amazing battery life then it might at least be an accurate portrayal. Yes I know their phones have bigger batteries BUT... the curve for bigger screen/battery isn't linear.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I love watching all you get your panties in a bunch over this stuff. I hope I'm never so narrow minded that I cling to one brand. Samsung and pretty much every Android phone has the iPhone beat in battery life, maybe not in battery efficiency, but definitely in overall battery life.
Yes if Apple were to put a 3,000mah battery in an iPhone with the same current optimizations it would likely beat an Android phone, but they don't and that's the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.