Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has introduced a new ad for its upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 4, talking about how the company first introduced the Galaxy Note series in 2011 and popularized the "phablet" form factor while calling out Apple for making the similarly sized iPhone 6 Plus three years later.

The ad begins recounting the history of the Galaxy Note before talking about some of the features of the device, like multi-window multitasking and its S-Pen stylus. The ad then shows articles from online publications criticizing Samsung for releasing the original Galaxy Note due to the device's large size before showing articles praising Apple for releasing the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus.

Finally, the ad shows select tweets from users criticizing Apple for releasing the iPhone 6 Plus three years after Samsung started the Galaxy Note line of devices. The commercial ends with the release date for the new device.

Samsung has continually created advertising going after Apple, its products and its fan base, famously depicting people ogling the Samsung Galaxy S2 while waiting in line outside an Apple Store for the newest iPhone mode. More recently, Samsung published a series of web ads poking fun at Apple's September 9 special events and rolled out a "Wall Huggers" ad campaign that pokes fun at the iPhone's battery life.

Article Link: New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Commercial Attacks Apple for iPhone 6 Plus

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Free advertising for Apple. People may not have known about a larger iPhone... until this ad.

Thanks Samsung!

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Well this is just playing to their base. I heard this commercial playing during a game today and a buddy was brandishing his Android phone while all of us sighed in disappointment. It's propaganda...

P.S. 4 Retweets, really? How can they be proud of that.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I've seen this ad all over today, such an immature attitude. in 2 years, especially in technology, a market can change dramatically. and 4 years ago the focus wasn't on screen size.

sweatshop

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I dislike when a company has to resort to making others look bad to sell product.... I'd rather they emphasize their own strengths than others weaknesses

*edit- Yes I am aware of the "Im a Mac" ads that ended 5 years ago

Last edited:

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Why does MacRumors post these stories? They're just giving them free advertising at this point. I understand the stories about the actual products of Apple's competition, but why post the attack ads? What kind of good discussion is going to come from this article? Who seriously thinks that this article is a valuable contribution to this site?

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
When you're the gold standard, you don't mention your competitor. Hence, why Apple rarely, if ever, mentions Samsung.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
It isn't a bad ad, its just not one that makes me want a galaxy note. They make it look good and all but (to me) they make themselves come across as more attacking others rather than playfully poking fun that apple copied them this time.

Spamail

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Ya, it's called product-market fit

Their lameness aside, I relish in the fact that :apple:Pay isn't something Samsung will ever be able to copycat -- it's such a precise and deliberate blend of hardware, software (OS), patents, business deals, existing assets (credit cards via iTunes), etc.

Peace, Samsung.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Why does MacRumors post these stories? They're just giving them free advertising at this point. I understand the stories about the actual products of Apple's competition, but why post the attack ads? What kind of good discussion is going to come from this article? Who seriously thinks that this article is a valuable contribution to this site?

There is going to be a multi hundred post thread about this ad on this site. That is why macrumors posted it.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
S-Pen

Is it me, or is writing with the S-Pen (while floating your hand in the air, apparently) actually slower than typing?

Oh, and Android Central had a "Look at Apple copying Samsung" article? GASP!!!!

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
How nice of them to give Apple FREE advertisement

Free unapproved advertisement for the iPhone. How nice of Shamesung!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.