Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
The article is not debunking anything. As a matter of fact it confirms that before the 5, they couldn't find any picture of bent iPhones. And the 6 Plus is pushing the 5 design even further.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
The article is not debunking anything. As a matter of fact it confirms that before the 5, iPhones were not bent. And the 6 Plus is pushing the 5 ensign even further.

I know this is mind blowing but here's a tip: Stop wearing tight hipster pants and use a normal fit or using back pockets where the pocket curves due to the butt.
And no I don't have a physics degree just plain old common sense.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I know this is mind blowing but here's a tip: Stop wearing tight hipster pants and use a normal fit or using back pockets where the pocket curves due to the butt.
And no I don't have a physics degree just plain old common sense.

I'm doing all that, but I am also realistic and I know that with a device like a phone which you are carrying with you all the time, once in a while there will be a situation where pressured is applied anyway without you realising or controlling it. Until the 4S I was confident my phones could take a good bit if pressure in case this was to happen ... with the 5 and even more so the 5 and 6 Plus, not so much. Luckily my 5 has been fine, but my brother who I know is very careful with his phone did get some damage on his 5s and has no clue how it happened.

Last edited:

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm doing all that, but I am also realistic and I know that with a device like a phone which you are carrying with you all the time, once in a while there will be a situation where pressured is applied anyway without you realising or controlling it. I was confident my phones could take a good bit if pressure in case this was to happen ... with the 5 and even more so the 5 and 6 Plus, not so much. Luckily my 5 has been fine, but my brother who I know is very careful with his phone did get some damage on his 5s and has no clue how it happened.

Anytime a sibling claims being careful, they usually aren't lol. You should know that by now

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Article that explains it: http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

As you can see its blown out of proportions and your own Plus will be fine day to day with how you've been using phones.

Just be slightly more careful with the new size.

YES you can keep it in your pockets if they are normal sized, the phone will not bend within reason. (Aka don't bend it)

So those people with bent phones made it up and were lying? Those jerks.

----------

No its real, here is proof...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1788223/

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Silly me I was unaware that aluminum contracts cancer. But then again I'm not a doctor. I'd guess Apple uses cancer free materials.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
It's not what he is claiming, it is me knowing him and having seen him handling his electronics for the past 3 decades. But thanks for the advice ;-)

Previous handlings doesn't negate the random bouts of lack of common sense in even the most careful.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Oh, we all feel so much better you cleared this up for us...:rolleyes:

Well people are acting like the new phones bend like pop tarts.

Im just trying to put it in perspective.

1) It still takes a lot to bend even the Plus.

2) Any phone can bend.

3) No one should have or was expecting that it is or should be unbendable and invincible. That should not be an expectation or criticism.

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
More new threads keeping the topic alive. lol

If it was only a few phones, then it'd die down if not for the fact some of you can't help yourselves to defend your precious. I find that a little amusing. :D

I'm sure it'll continue to be investigated and tested over the coming weeks.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Previous handlings doesn't negate the random bouts of lack of common sense in even the most careful.

So even someone careful will once in a while expose their phone?

I am confused, I though you said earlier that someone who is wearing the right cloth and with basic common sense will not have any issue ...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Article that explains it: http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

As you can see its blown out of proportions and your own Plus will be fine day to day with how you've been using phones.

Just be slightly more careful with the new size.

YES you can keep it in your pockets if they are normal sized, the phone will not bend within reason. (Aka don't bend it)

Multiple errors in that pathetic article, amongst many calling the Galaxy S4 'new' when its over a year old and even has a successor, and calling the S4 metal friendly, it isn't, it is plastic. Not a single 2014 competitor is named either, lol, oh no wonder...its Cult of Mac.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
*scratching head*
Do you not realize that you are creating MORE attention to the bend issue?

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Multiple errors in that pathetic article, amongst many calling the Galaxy S4 'new' when its over a year old and even has a successor, and calling the S4 metal friendly, it isn't, it is plastic. Not a single 2014 competitor is named either, lol, oh no wonder...its Cult of Mac.

And look at their picture of a bent "iPhone 4S" is is more like a 5 ...

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
The article is not debunking anything. As a matter of fact it confirms that before the 5, they couldn't find any picture of bent iPhones. And the 6 Plus is pushing the 5 design even further.

So the picture of the bent 4S at the bottom of the article doesn't qualify?

Metal bends. Aluminium more easily so than steel. Physics, bitch.

----------

And look at their picture of a bent "iPhone 4S" is is more like a 5 ...

After careful consideration, you may be right. The 4S has black antenna bands.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Personally I would rather deal with the potential for bending then having a heavier phone.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Bend gate isn't a good name...how about we call it "physics"?
Whatever the deniers want to call it doesn't fool intelligent people who don't promote Apple products as though they get Apples profits.

If it was Androids people here would pounce like crazed lions.

Common sense is what Apple is supposed to apply via skilled engineers. We are the paying customer... Oh wait! Apples perfect and operates consequence free. Yeah that's it.

Stupid customers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.