Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
It's been addressed, and questioned, in other threads, but many of us are receiving messages, when dialing *639# that say the $18 upgrade fee is waived, yet others are receiving message saying they must pay the $18 fee.

In both cases, they are people who qualify for upgrade.

Does anybody know why?

The $18 doesn't mean a lot to me...but I'm happy I'm able to save it...but don't know how they are making these decisions.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
I know it's only $18, but I was told by a ATT rep over the phone that you could call and get that waived.. but then again, they don't always know what they're talking about.

Cash Regime

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
I've read a lot of people calling to get their upgrade fee waived last year when they got the 3GS. I tried it myself and the best they could do is take off about $10 of the $18.

Worth calling though.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My guess is that its based on your monthly bill. I have the "cheap skate" rate. ATT probably hates me which is why they are making me pay the fee. It's kinda like when you go to Vegas. The more money you spend the more perks and nicer room the hotel will lavish you with to make you feel "appreciated."

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
call the AT&T customer service department and tell them that the at&t store you have just been too told you that they will waive that fee for you, but you will have to call AT&T customer service, works every time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Fail. :rolleyes:

Of course...they CAN.

But they must have a reason. I'm not complaining...because mine is waived anyway.

Why must they have a reason? Corporations add fees all the time, for no other reason then they can. That's not a fail, that's life.

The same question was asked about the tethering charge especially given the fact that the tethering charge does not alter the bandwidth allowance beyond 3gb. They're charging that fee because they can. They're charging the 18 dollar fee because they can.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
call the AT&T customer service department and tell them that the at&t store you have just been too told you that they will waive that fee for you, but you will have to call AT&T customer service, works every time.

Mine was waived from the beginning :)...but this is good advice as I have found to be AT&T relatively customer-friendly (unlike my old carrier, Sprint.)

thornguy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
700 family plan for my 2 3G phones. Both are over 2 years. But I have the $18 fee.

Just wonder why. No point in asking AT&T, the could probably waive the fee, but just as easily accidentally delete my account!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Mine was waived from the beginning :)...but this is good advice as I have found to be AT&T relatively customer-friendly (unlike my old carrier, Sprint.)

Uh. Yes, Sprint is the worst @ CSR. I can only imagine the posts here if the iPhone was on Sprint.

Just curious -- what iPhone plan are you on?

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Why must they have a reason? Corporations add fees all the time, for no other reason then they can. That's not a fail, that's life.

There is ALWAYS a reason. You may not ACCEPT the reason...or you may THINK the reason is bogus. The "reason" may simply be, "That's our policy."

...but there is still ALWAYS a reason. :rolleyes:

The "fail" was in response to the lack of original, rational thought in your response.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
I've read a lot of people calling to get their upgrade fee waived last year when they got the 3GS. I tried it myself and the best they could do is take off about $10 of the $18.

Worth calling though.

haha, wow they must need the money to "add more cell towers"

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Uh. Yes, Sprint is the worst @ CSR. I can only imagine the posts here if the iPhone was on Sprint.

Just curious -- what iPhone plan are you on?

I can tell you some stories about Sprint! They make AT&T reps look like choirgirls.

I had Sprint from 1999 until the iPhone roll out in 2007. CONSTANT billing problems with auto-pay. I had to actually bring a Sprint supervisor on the line with American Exprsss twice, and in the second conversation, the American Express rep told Sprint, "I'm sorry, Sprint...but you just don't know what you are talking about."

OK...enough about Sprint.

I am on the 59.99 plan with AT&T...plus 1500 text messages and data plan. I also get a 25 percent national volume discount through my employer.

I don't need more than 900 minutes, and, in fact, have something like 5000 rollover minutes currently.

So, as you can see, I am not a "high-revenue" customer.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Is there anyway to call AT&T and ask to have the upgrade fee waived?

Will it work?

I'm wondering if they're waiving the fee for the people who legitimately qualify for the upgrade but are not waivign for people who wouldn't have qualified until 11/2010 but got bumped up by AT&T.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
My fee is waived :D. That's probably because our bill is over $100 a month and there's 4 lines on our plan.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Is there anyway to call AT&T and ask to have the upgrade fee waived?

Will it work?

I'm wondering if they're waiving the fee for the people who legitimately qualify for the upgrade but are not waivign for people who wouldn't have qualified until 11/2010 but got bumped up by AT&T.

That makes sense because I qualified for upgrade (18 months) in May 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.