$18 upgrade fee...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Built, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Built macrumors 68020

It's been addressed, and questioned, in other threads, but many of us are receiving messages, when dialing *639# that say the $18 upgrade fee is waived, yet others are receiving message saying they must pay the $18 fee.

In both cases, they are people who qualify for upgrade.

Does anybody know why?

The $18 doesn't mean a lot to me...but I'm happy I'm able to save it...but don't know how they are making these decisions.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because they can

3. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Fail. :rolleyes:

Of course...they CAN.

But they must have a reason. I'm not complaining...because mine is waived anyway.

4. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I know it's only $18, but I was told by a ATT rep over the phone that you could call and get that waived.. but then again, they don't always know what they're talking about.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it's for the sim card and costs involved(bandwidth and staff) with activating your iPhone.

6. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Ain't THAT the truth, saccento!

7. Cash Regime macrumors member

Cash Regime

I've read a lot of people calling to get their upgrade fee waived last year when they got the 3GS. I tried it myself and the best they could do is take off about $10 of the $18.

Worth calling though.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My guess is that its based on your monthly bill. I have the "cheap skate" rate. ATT probably hates me which is why they are making me pay the fee. It's kinda like when you go to Vegas. The more money you spend the more perks and nicer room the hotel will lavish you with to make you feel "appreciated."

9. moka macrumors 6502a

call the AT&T customer service department and tell them that the at&t store you have just been too told you that they will waive that fee for you, but you will have to call AT&T customer service, works every time.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why must they have a reason? Corporations add fees all the time, for no other reason then they can. That's not a fail, that's life.

The same question was asked about the tethering charge especially given the fact that the tethering charge does not alter the bandwidth allowance beyond 3gb. They're charging that fee because they can. They're charging the 18 dollar fee because they can.

11. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Mine was waived from the beginning :)...but this is good advice as I have found to be AT&T relatively customer-friendly (unlike my old carrier, Sprint.)

12. thornguy macrumors regular

700 family plan for my 2 3G phones. Both are over 2 years. But I have the $18 fee.

Just wonder why. No point in asking AT&T, the could probably waive the fee, but just as easily accidentally delete my account!

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Uh. Yes, Sprint is the worst @ CSR. I can only imagine the posts here if the iPhone was on Sprint.

Just curious -- what iPhone plan are you on?

14. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

There is ALWAYS a reason. You may not ACCEPT the reason...or you may THINK the reason is bogus. The "reason" may simply be, "That's our policy."

...but there is still ALWAYS a reason. :rolleyes:

The "fail" was in response to the lack of original, rational thought in your response.

15. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

haha, wow they must need the money to "add more cell towers"

16. truciet macrumors 6502

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok they wanted too. Seriously, you're reading too much into the fee. They wanted to, and they did.

18. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

I can tell you some stories about Sprint! They make AT&T reps look like choirgirls.

I had Sprint from 1999 until the iPhone roll out in 2007. CONSTANT billing problems with auto-pay. I had to actually bring a Sprint supervisor on the line with American Exprsss twice, and in the second conversation, the American Express rep told Sprint, "I'm sorry, Sprint...but you just don't know what you are talking about."

OK...enough about Sprint.

I am on the 59.99 plan with AT&T...plus 1500 text messages and data plan. I also get a 25 percent national volume discount through my employer.

I don't need more than 900 minutes, and, in fact, have something like 5000 rollover minutes currently.

So, as you can see, I am not a "high-revenue" customer.

19. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

20. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

You might try reading for detail, rather than simply responding to your own aggression triggers.

21. Cash Regime macrumors member

Cash Regime

bitch, that's like 13 muchachos from Taco Bueno

22. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Good one! :p

23. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Is there anyway to call AT&T and ask to have the upgrade fee waived?

Will it work?

I'm wondering if they're waiving the fee for the people who legitimately qualify for the upgrade but are not waivign for people who wouldn't have qualified until 11/2010 but got bumped up by AT&T.

24. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

My fee is waived :D. That's probably because our bill is over $100 a month and there's 4 lines on our plan.

25. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

That makes sense because I qualified for upgrade (18 months) in May 2010.