Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your 3 most desired hardware improvements?

• Increase in RAM

Votes: 108 69.2%
  • Increased in Battery Life/Removable Battery

Votes: 89 57.1%
  • Sapphire/More durable glass

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Water Resistance

Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Decreased bezel (either sides or top & bottom)

Votes: 66 42.3%
  • LED Notification Light (front-facing)

Votes: 28 17.9%
  • Dual Speakers

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • Wireless/Inductive Charging

Votes: 41 26.3%
  • Thinner/Lighter Design

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Different Materials (polycarbonate, etc.)

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • A Smaller Form Factor Screen (E.g. iPhone 5[S]

Votes: 16 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As we all get accustomed to our iPhone 6's, and our minds start, naturally, wondering/wandering of things to come, I'm curious as to what tops others' lists for hardware improvements on the next generation of iPhones. I know what I would like, but I'd like to know if others feel the same way.

I'm limiting the options to reasonably doable hardware improvements (no holographic keyboards or OS tweaks).

Please choose 3 & leave details in comments below.

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'd like to see Apple build some kind of haptic feedback into the phone. Something that builds on the Apple Watch's system for this. There's potential there.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
I guess I'll get in first with 2GB RAM then.

Smaller bezels for me. Although I have a 6 plus, a slightly smaller phone would be ideal for me.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
My number 1 request is to go back to the 4" size. I love everything about my iPhone 6, except for its size. In the future I would love for Apple to have a phone with the current year's innards but the smaller form factor. They can produce 3 different screen sizes every year - 4", 4.7", and 5.5". The iPhone 6 in a case (very much needed for protection in my profession) no longer fits in the breast pocket of my scrub tops. The iphone 5S fit perfectly.

ArtVandelay29

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2014
DFW
Smaller bezels for me. Although I have a 6 plus, a slightly smaller phone would be ideal for me.

Same. The actual screen on the 6 Plus isn't really any larger than my old device, but the phone itself is way taller/longer because of those bezels.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
My number 1 request is to go back to the 4" size. I love everything about my iPhone 6, except for its size. In the future I would love for Apple to have a phone with the current year's innards but the smaller form factor. They can produce 3 different screen sizes every year - 4", 4.7", and 5.5". The iPhone 6 in a case (very much needed for protection in my profession) no longer fits in the breast pocket of my scrub tops. The iphone 5S fit perfectly.

Wow, you must be tiny.

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Bezels, batteries, and RAM all the way. I do think an upgrade in the glass would be great so I could tote my iPhone in the nude worry-free... But practically speaking the battery and RAM are musts and the bezels won't last much longer. They can't.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I only care about battery life. Everything else is great. I want to be able to go a week without a charge (with light use) or at least a 24 hours with heavy use.

When traveling coast to coast, I usually end up having to charge before the end of the day (i.e. I land at my destination with no power).

The other thing that is not mentioned is the camera. I want the 6 Plus camera in the 6.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
More RAM
Better battery life
Less bezel

These are the obvious choices. Better antenna integration should be an option aka no random lines on the back.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
You need to add a few more options.

1. 1080p screen
2. 5" screen option
3. Micro SD slot
4. Replaceable battery.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You need to add a few more options.

1. 1080p screen
2. 5" screen option
3. Micro SD slot
4. Replaceable battery.

I thought about screen but think that will happen anyway.

SD card will never happen, so that's moot.

I mentioned replaceable battery.

shiibbyy

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
VA--->FL
1: at least 2GB or RAM
2: Faster processor speed (clocked at more than 2 Ghz)
3: At least 1440p screen resolution
4: better battery life, but that's hard to do if you want to keep the device thin

That's my main things that should implemented in the iPhone 7. I know for a fact none of this stuff will be in the new iPhones next year, but you never know what apple has up its sleeve

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'd like to see Apple build some kind of haptic feedback into the phone. Something that builds on the Apple Watch's system for this. There's potential there.

Haptic feedback would be nice but it would be nuisance as it would vibrate each time and wear out the battery. I've had it on my S5 before and I ended up turning it off. It was annoying.

Anyways what I want to see on the next generation:

1. Definitely QHD screen
2. Faster CPU (Quad Core would be awesome)
3. Definitely Qi inductive charging.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Haptic feedback would be nice but it would be nuisance as it would vibrate each time and wear out the battery. I've had it on my S5 before and I ended up turning it off. It was annoying.

One assumes it would be nothing like what you had on your S5. I'm thinking something more like what they're doing with the watch (as I said) or like what Amazon did with the Kindle Voyage.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
As we all get accustomed to our iPhone 6's, and our minds start, naturally, wondering/wandering of things to come, I'm curious as to what tops others' lists for hardware improvements on the next generation of iPhones. I know what I would like, but I'd like to know if others feel the same way.

I'm limiting the options to reasonably doable hardware improvements (no holographic keyboards or OS tweaks).

Please choose 3 & leave details in comments below.

I wish you added a more forward design.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

Jailbreak and install HapticPro. Does exactly this... Phones feel weird when they don't have this.

----------

Haptic feedback on iPhones barely affects the battery. I would know, I've used it on iPhones since 2009!

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
More ram, longer lasting battery, more durable materials. And a better camera is always welcome. So far I think they kinda dropped the ball there. For one we need IOS on the 6.

And I've always wanted an SD card slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.