Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your 3 most desired hardware improvements?

• Increase in RAM

Votes: 108 69.2%
  • Increased in Battery Life/Removable Battery

Votes: 89 57.1%
  • Sapphire/More durable glass

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Water Resistance

Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Decreased bezel (either sides or top & bottom)

Votes: 66 42.3%
  • LED Notification Light (front-facing)

Votes: 28 17.9%
  • Dual Speakers

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • Wireless/Inductive Charging

Votes: 41 26.3%
  • Thinner/Lighter Design

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Different Materials (polycarbonate, etc.)

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • A Smaller Form Factor Screen (E.g. iPhone 5[S]

Votes: 16 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Pretty sure that's what all of the options comprise. To simply say "more forward design" is too vague, IMHO.

True, all you listed may to a degree change the look of the phone, but what I meant was the entire look of the phone itself other than polling parts of it, internal/external, and enhancing it. I would really like the phone itself to have a "WOW" factor. The kind of wow factor where you want to go to the store to look at it over and over again.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
True, all you listed may to a degree change the look of the phone, but what I meant was the entire look of the phone itself other than polling parts of it, internal/external, and enhancing it. I would really like the phone itself to have a "WOW" factor. The kind of wow factor where you want to go to the store to look at it over and over again.

That's all well and good, and I understand what you mean, but since this was a poll dealing with the concrete and quantifiable, and not the subjective whims of what is/is not "Wow!", I didn't really feel that "wow" factor or "new look" was something that appropriate as a poll option.

Thanks for the input though.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
It was easy to pick 3 from this list but I wanted to check more.

Top 3: RAM, Less Bezel, Battery Life.

• Wireless Charging sure would be nice as well.
  • Though I currently love the 6plus screen I wouldn't mind if the resolution got a bump.
  • I know I'm dreaming here but I would like to see Apple make a phone that is made to be durable/stylish enough to be used without a case. Yes, they would be shooting themselves in the foot with case sales and probably throw the case makers into a tizzy.

fxbeta

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
The two things I was disappointed were not in this year's model: more RAM, and a higher resolution camera. So they're obvious choices for the next one. And part of me wonders if that's part of their thinking. If they'd had those features in the 6/6+, what would make the 6S more compelling? They may intentionally be leaving themselves some easy upgrades to be presented in next year's same-design-but-minor-spec-bump release.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The two things I was disappointed were not in this year's model: more RAM, and a higher resolution camera. So they're obvious choices for the next one. And part of me wonders if that's part of their thinking. If they'd had those features in the 6/6+, what would make the 6S more compelling? They may intentionally be leaving themselves some easy upgrades to be presented in next year's same-design-but-minor-spec-bump release.

I've thought the same thing.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Only 1 thing I want for future Apple products: Evenly tinted White screens. No more yellow tints, bookspines, uneven tints, etc.

Also allow us to program the soft taps for the home button. Ex: single soft tap to go home. Double for app switcher. Single hard press for something else. Double hard press for something else.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Only 1 thing I want for future Apple products: Evenly tinted White screens. No more yellow tints, bookspines, uneven tints, etc.

Also allow us to program the soft taps for the home button. Ex: single soft tap to go home. Double for app switcher. Single hard press for something else. Double hard press for something else.

I like that idea of programmable/customizable taps.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Single soft tap for Home would be disastrous during a game or something.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
people prefer ram to battery life, that's something i'd never expect..

to be honest the only thing missing from a perfect phone for me is: 2gb ram, water-resistant, improved scratch resistance, less bezels and a more efficient battery life (=> the day that the "up to" advertised numbers become standard numbers (meaning 10h = 10h, not 10h = 4h.)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
people prefer ram to battery life, that's something i'd never expect..

to be honest the only thing missing from a perfect phone for me is: 2gb ram, water-resistant, improved scratch resistance, less bezels and a more efficient battery life (=> the day that the "up to" advertised numbers become standard numbers (meaning 10h = 10h, not 10h = 4h.)

For me, RAM, battery life and screen are all about equal.

I'm actually SHOCKED that a more scratch/shatter resistant glass is losing out to bezel and only 3 votes more than water resistance. I never think about the bezel being an issue and water resistance is a non-issue, but I constantly worry about scratches/breaking the screen (but can't stand the idea of an ugly protective case).

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
My top 2 is the same as most - RAM, battery life. And for a 3rd I picked inductive charging.

Bezels don't bother me much. Its almost all gone by the side and the top/bottom isn't bad. Personally I'd like to see the thickness return to that of the 5/5s and a squarer design like the 5/5s - that will boost the battery life no doubt too, decrease the likelihood of bending, etc.

But looking at the list now - I think you'd have to say there's really nothing truly significant left that the 6/6+ is missing. Bigger screens, Touch ID, NFC, all done and delivered now. RAM and battery life are more quality of life changes and not earth shaking ones, and a lot of the other things OP has listed is all skin deep stuff.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
RAM
Sapphire Glass + Waterproofing
Battery + wireless charging

----------

For me, RAM, battery life and screen are all about equal.

I'm actually SHOCKED that a more scratch/shatter resistant glass is losing out to bezel and only 3 votes more than water resistance. I never think about the bezel being an issue and water resistance is a non-issue, but I constantly worry about scratches/breaking the screen (but can't stand the idea of an ugly protective case).

Drop your phone in a toilet sometime, then you'll think about waterproofing. ;)

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
4.7" 1080p screen (for the lulz)
>8MP camera with OIS (I get the current camera is decent, but still...)
>2500mAh battery (two day battery life needs to be the norm!)
IR blaster (lol, what?)
Waterproof

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I'd like to see Apple build some kind of haptic feedback into the phone. Something that builds on the Apple Watch's system for this. There's potential there.

As long as it doesn't turn into the annoying buttons on my Note 8 where everytime you grip the thing you hit three different buttons. One reason I can't stand my tablet :p

zOne31

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Battery life is the most important for me. Indifferent about whether it's removable or not.

More RAM would be nice as well for future proofing.

Lastly, water resistance would be a cool addition.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Isn't haptic feedback a software issue, though? I know there are jailbreak tweaks that allow haptic feedback on the keyboard.

Not sure. I know within the Android phone it was in settings, probably the keyboard setting?

I would love deeper colors. I know on the Samsung phones and tablets the colors are more saturated. But I'm a girl, I love colorful stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.