Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
BB, Slovakia
Hey guys, I just realized looking trough some sites created in i-Web and realized how most of them are look-alike and that I'm getting fed up with the i-web look of webpages allround!

So here's the competition:
Post links of website made in iWeb not looking like they're made in iWeb. The best one wins a great applause from me....;)

So for me to start here's my contribution:
http://www.martin_somora.szm.sk {I know it looks like it was made in iWeb!:( }

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Your first page doesn't look very iWeb but the photo pages do. That will be the real test for everyone. :)

I also was curious to in find out what language it was written in. After some googling, I realised Slovakian.... had I looked at your "location" in your post I could have saved myself some time! ;)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Why does some of the pictures look like this?

Attachments

• Bilde-2.jpg
    Bilde-2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,014

somo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
BB, Slovakia
mad jew said:
Yeah, that's weird. The thumbnails are fine. :confused:

Is there an advertisement meant to be popping up in the bottom right corner? Is that intentional? :)

The pictures came out weird in the slideshow, that's right. I assume it's because some errors while uploading it {I used golive for that}.

The advertisment is there because it's on a free webhosting site szm.sk

If You know of any good free webhosting sites please let me know!

Anyway any links with Your design? {apparently non-iWeb looking, but made in iWeb???} :rolleyes:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
somo said:
The pictures came out weird in the slideshow, that's right. I assume it's because some errors while uploading it {I used golive for that}.

The advertisment is there because it's on a free webhosting site szm.sk

If You know of any good free webhosting sites please let me know!

Anyway any links with Your design? {apparently non-iWeb looking, but made in iWeb???} :rolleyes:
AmbitiousLemon offers free hosting (check out his sig)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm trying to make a website for my church and would like to use iWeb, but I don't want it to look like I used iWeb. How do you guys do it, and did you run into problems later (like iWeb not recognizing something)?

I would just use GoLive or something but I really like the slideshow and blogging capabilities in iWeb (and the ease of use) - I just want to customize it.

Any suggestions that may help me?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
EricNau said:
I'm trying to make a website for my church and would like to use iWeb, but I don't want it to look like I used iWeb. How do you guys do it, and did you run into problems later (like iWeb not recognizing something)?

I would just use GoLive or something but I really like the slideshow and blogging capabilities in iWeb (and the ease of use) - I just want to customize it.

Any suggestions that may help me?

It really depends on how much not like iWeb you want it to look like. If your goal is to get away from the default look of the templates that are provided with iWeb, this isn't that hard to do. If your goal is to change the way that navigation works (having the navigation at the side, for example, instead of at the top), then this is substantially more difficult and, at this point, I'd recommend using GoLive instead.

If you are looking for the former, however, all you really need to do is be creative. You can adjust the page width, the header and footer heights, and so on. The level of customizability that is built into iWeb is not insubstantial, and you can make some pretty non-iWeb looking sites just by playing around. Give it a try.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I am going to go right ahead and submit my best friends website and you can tell me if it is made in iWeb or not. Looks can be deceiving as the site has a "clean" look and feel to it. :)

link

Any comments are welcomed and I will pass them along. :)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
maya said:
I am going to go right ahead and submit my best friends website and you can tell me if it is made in iWeb or not. Looks can be deceiving as the site has a "clean" look and feel to it. :)

link

I don't get it...is this suppose to be ironic like Zombocom? Because without the music it's just not as funny ;)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
maya said:

link

Made in iWeb. This is a good example of a clean non-iWeb looking site that was made in iWeb.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
dornoforpyros said:
I don't get it...is this suppose to be ironic like Zombocom? Because without the music it's just not as funny ;)

Zombocom!=iWeb. Funny though.

I'd say that the other site is not meant to be ironic, it's just in the process of getting set up.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Snowy_River said:
It really depends on how much not like iWeb you want it to look like. If your goal is to get away from the default look of the templates that are provided with iWeb, this isn't that hard to do. If your goal is to change the way that navigation works (having the navigation at the side, for example, instead of at the top), then this is substantially more difficult and, at this point, I'd recommend using GoLive instead.

If you are looking for the former, however, all you really need to do is be creative. You can adjust the page width, the header and footer heights, and so on. The level of customizability that is built into iWeb is not insubstantial, and you can make some pretty non-iWeb looking sites just by playing around. Give it a try.
Thanks. I can probably pull it off, just move a few things around, etc.

I mainly want to know if I add elements in by hand (html) will that screw it up when I open it in iWeb? (for example; I might want to add google ads into it)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
EricNau said:
Thanks. I can probably pull it off, just move a few things around, etc.

I mainly want to know if I add elements in by hand (html) will that screw it up when I open it in iWeb? (for example; I might want to add google ads into it)

After you publish a site, you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT reopen a page in iWeb. When you open iWeb you are opening the stored .xml file, not the html files. So, once you publish, then you modify the html to make a form, then you send it up to your host. You can't see the form inside iWeb.

So, if you want to customize a page with a form, or something else (i.e. adds) it has to be on one page that you're not going to change in iWeb again. If you do, you'll have to edit the code again after you publish it. Also, keep a copy of your modified html file separate from your site, as every time you publish from iWeb it will get overwritten with the unedited page the iWeb puts out.

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
one thing i have noticed from the get go all iWeb sites seem to have size 14 or larger fonts and really nasty css. give your type some lovin and that will help a ton to set it off as not so iWeb. they feel like tonka toys on the web, but they arent as much fun...

dazza

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2006
Non looking Iweb site.

Yup ive just started mine.

All the iweb sites have navigation menus at the top that you can tell a mile off are iweb. Ive tryed to stay away from that.

Here it is : boardaddict.com

Atleast i think ive tryed to make it look different.

daz

thevessels

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
dazza said:
Yup ive just started mine.

All the iweb sites have navigation menus at the top that you can tell a mile off are iweb. Ive tryed to stay away from that.

Here it is : boardaddict.com

Atleast i think ive tryed to make it look different.

daz

dude real nice . real clean yet totally diff . good job
i think you just got me to open up iweb and give it a shot

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The Black Frog said:
:)
Ok, here's my try at making it look different than the given templates.
The site is done with Iweb, the forum isn't.

http://www.dynamografika.com

tell me what you think, I m curious to know if everything works properly for you guys.

:)
I like it, but it's too wide for my browser. I use a browser window that is 1042 pixels wide including the scroll bar.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
gabrielnaylor said:
I was in the middle of learning GoLive when iWeb came out. I must admit, I put the books down as fast as possible and got on iWeb. Let me know what you think!

http://gabrielnaylor.com

Some of your links are a bit screwed up. Like if you click on the word email next to the the email button it links to your resume PDF. The "See the projects" and "see how it was made" on the left side main page don't do anything either. Overall it's a very nice site though. Makes me really want to redo mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.