Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple has yet to publicly announce a specific launch date for the Apple Watch beyond "Early 2015", sources speaking to 9to5Mac say the company is currently planning for a March debut in the initial wave of countries. Sources in the retail segment indicate that select store employees will undergo centralized Apple Watch training the week of February 9, with those employees in turn training others at their individual stores in the days leading up to the device's launch.

applewatchemojis.jpg
One or two representatives from many Apple Stores in the United States, depending on store and market size, will be sent to Apple offices in either Cupertino, California or Austin, Texas to learn first-hand about the Watch. These training programs will take place between February 9th and February 16th.
The report indicates Apple has been continuing to refine various aspects of the Apple Watch since its September unveiling, focusing mostly on software but also tweaking such components as the inductive charging mechanism.

Developers are currently working with Apple's WatchKit tools and iOS 8.2 betas to build apps for Apple Watch, starting with lightweight Glances, actionable notifications, and iPhone-based apps that project portions of their interfaces to the watch. More powerful apps running directly on the Apple Watch will be possible later this year.

Article Link: Apple Targeting March for Apple Watch Launch, Retail Training Begins Next Month

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
March would be very good for a launch. Wonder if they'll have a Keynote, seeing as this is a major new category for Apple.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
But, they already did

I think they'll have to have to have a more specific one for it. They may also announce a new Apple TV, iPad Air Plus, iPod Touch or MacBook Air at the event.

----------

I just hope the initial wave includes the UK.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
But, they already did

They will for sure, they just won't randomly release these puppies to the public.

Besides, there is still a lot of mystery hovering around this device, especially when it comes to raw specs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
In the months following the device’s introduction in September, Apple has been polishing up the Watch OS and putting the device’s battery through more extensive testing. Apple has also been working overtime to improve the inductive charging mechanism necessary for charging up the device each night.

I'm curious how long it will take the device to charge. It would be sweet if Apple could get charging time under 2 hours.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I'm thinking 6th or 9th March just before or after daylight saving

If you go to the 9to5mac report which this post is based upon, it says END of March. So going by that, I predict March 27th.

"Apple is finishing up work on the Apple Watch’s software, and sources familiar with the product’s development say that the device is currently on track to ship in the United States by the end of March. "

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/06/apple-watch-launch/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.