Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the Apple Watch set to launch in April, Apple has decided to stop selling many competing fitness products in its retail stores. Re/code checked several popular Apple Stores in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Los Angeles, and New York, and found that Apple had ceased carrying the Jawbone UP and the Nike+ Fuelband.

The two fitness bands are also unavailable through the company's online store, and it appears the only remaining fitness band available for purchase is the MIO Alpha Heart Rate Monitor Watch. Apple is still selling non-wrist worn fitness tracking devices, like the Jawbone UP Move and the Wahoo TICKR X Heart Rate Monitor, both online and in stores.

jawboneup24.jpg
The Jawbone UP 24​
Apple began removing wrist-worn fitness tracking devices from its stores back in November, when it stopped selling Fitbit's line of activity tracking devices. Fitbit's devices, along with the Jawbone UP and the Nike+ Fuelband all offer functionality that's similar to what can be found in the Apple Watch, including the tracking of metrics like steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, and stairs climbed.

According to Re/code, Apple told Mio founder Liz Dickinson that her company's activity trackers would be removed from the Apple Store due to an effort to re-work branding, which may be at new retail chief Angela Ahrendts' behest.
"They said they brought in a new executive in the marketing area who wanted to re-work branding for the stores, and to make the Apple brand more front and center and clean up and minimize the number of accessories," Dickinson said.
The Apple Watch is set to be displayed in Apple's retail stores beginning on April 10, in an effort to allow customers to try on and experience the watches ahead of their April 24 launch. Prices on the Apple Watch range from $349 to $17,000, and pre-orders will also begin on April 10.

Update: The MIO Alpha has now been removed from the online store as well.

Article Link: Apple Ceases Selling Jawbone UP, Nike Fuelband as Apple Watch Launch Approaches

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
No surprise here. They need the floor and shelf space for Apple watch and Apple watch accessories.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
It's simple fear..

It's simple fear of open and honest competition. Apple knows that their watch is grossly overpriced compared to competing products and so cannot allow customers to easily compare functionality and prices.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Well, you know...those items are a threat. Some one looking to by an :apple: Edition may just get the last minute jitters, and decide to buy 500 of any other kind of wearable.....;)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple deprecates its own products (floppies, CD's, hard drives, iPods, Thunderbolt, Lightning), and also retail partner's products (fit bit, etc.)

Apple does that. They are moving to a distant future with both advanced and narrow products. Those plans are private but clear. Hang on!

Rocketman

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
I have 3 friends who are purchasing the Edition.

The cheaper option: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/758219280/24k-gold-plated-apple-watch/description

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
confident

Seriously! Is anyone really surprised by this move.

Nope! but Apple should be confident that there product is superior.

Personally, everyone bitching about the price of the apple watch should wait a year when they reduce the price. Their new products always come at a premium. I think apple made a mistake because the glory of the apple watch is greatly enhanced by the more people who have it, not just a couple of early adopters.

imessages was suppose to be opened source, or was that facetime... i forget

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
And all other companies crave competition. Typical Apple, right? :rolleyes:

The point is, Apple should feel secure that their product is the absolute best.

The fact that they're removing any other product from their store that might compete says quite a lot about their confidence in their new product.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Apple deprecates its own products (floppies, CD's, hard drives, iPods, Thunderbolt, Lightning), and also retail partner's products (fit bit, etc.)

Apple does that. They are moving to a distant future with both advanced and narrow products. Those plans are private but clear. Hang on!

Rocketman

I think the "old way" reflected when Apple was a niche player and the Apple Store was the only way to even see specific Apple -related accessories. The only problem I see is that the Apple Store is becoming a "parts department" of just plain Apple boxes, with little else on the shelves... But I guess people are already beating down the doors.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
It's simple fear of open and honest competition. Apple knows that their watch is grossly overpriced compared to competing products and so cannot allow customers to easily compare functionality and prices.
Right. I also don't understand why they don't offer Samsung phones in the Apple Store. Must be a fear of competition...

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Apple never really did like competition.

What company does like competition? I am out to sell my product and the rest can go bankrupt for all I care. Everyone seems to think Apple is supposed to be this charitable organization that donates all their money and prices their products to lose money.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
The point is, Apple should feel secure that their product is the absolute best.

The fact that they're removing any other product from their store that might compete says quite a lot about their confidence in their new product.

My reply to you would be similar to the ones you've already received, so I'll just address your next post.

That's not quite the same thing as what is going on here, but nice try.

How is it not the same thing? You seem to think that a company that is confident in their products will sell competing products beside their own.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple needs room in its stores for Watch, Watch bands and accessories. I never did understand why people think Apple should have to sell non-Apple products in their stores. It's the Apple store not Best Buy.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
So you have three friends who are purchasing a $10,000 watch that will become obsolete in two years?

Doesn't sound like they make the best purchasing decisions.

You can't infer anything about their purchasing decisions from what we wrote. $10,000 may be a lot to you, and nothing to others.

----------

Can you to to Nike.com and purchase Reebok shoes? Why not?

Does the Microsoft store sell iPads? Why not?

Does the Toyota dealership sell new Hondas? Why not?

Apple sells their products and accompanying product accessories. Jawbone and Fueldband were tech accessories before Apple created an item in that product space.

This is no different than Apple not selling Sony computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.