Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming ultra thin 12-inch MacBook with a Retina display has been overshadowed by all of the Apple Watch news that's been surfacing over the course of the last week, but the super slim device is set to launch online and in-stores on Friday, April 10, alongside the Apple Watch.

Ahead of the MacBook's launch, Apple has given select sites MacBook review units to test out, and those early MacBook reviews are coming out today. We're gathering up tidbits from some of the best reviews below, which give us our first look at how the MacBook performs with its low power Core M processor and a look at how users feel about the new keyboard and the new trackpad.

retinamacbookyosemite-800x469.jpg
Many of the reviewers loved the extremely thin size of the MacBook, its impressive Retina display, and its Force Touch Trackpad, but were unhappy with some of the compromises that are made with the machine -- lack of ports, the keyboard, the processing speed, and the high price. Almost all of the reviews pointed out some of the shortcomings in the Core M processor, noting that it's much slower than Apple's other notebook offerings and suitable for lighter use, much like a Chromebook. It was, however, able to run Photoshop and Logic Pro, just slower.

Several of the reviewers disliked the new keyboard when first trying it due to its thin keys with little travel, but most were able to adjust to the different feel of typing on it after a short period of time. The increased size of the keys was also hard to adjust to for touch typists. Battery life in general ranged from seven hours up, but most of the reviews saw shorter battery life than the promised nine hours of web browsing. Overall, the consensus between reviewers seemed to be that while this is a great MacBook, it's not a solution for everyone and is going to appeal to a niche set of people due to its high price and the performance compromises.

Dieter Bohn, The Verge:
Basically, if you do anything that's going to really tax the processor, this laptop probably isn't going to cut it for you. In that sense it's actually kind of like a Chromebook. It's fast enough for 70 percent of what I do, but a little slower than what I'm used to. For about 20 percent of what I do -- mostly photo editing -- it works but requires patience. But it's the last 10 percent that's hard: video editing, really big iPhoto libraries, basically anything processor-intensive can get rough.
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica:
The port situation is the biggest problem. The question isn't whether people can live with only one port, but whether they'll want to put up with it when there are so many other options available. Using the MacBook as a primary computer requires you to subscribe to a mostly wireless lifestyle that not everyone is going to be ready for, and even if you already use Macs switching to a MacBook means throwing your dongle and cable arsenal out and starting over. [...]

Ultimately the new MacBook feels like a first-generation product--a very good first-generation product, but a first-generation product nevertheless. It's got some promise and a couple of major shortcomings and you don't need to be the first person who takes the leap into the Brave New Future it represents.
Jason Snell, Macworld:
The MacBook keyboard's better than I expected it to be--I was able to score 118 words per minute on TypeRacer using it--but it never felt particularly comfortable. If you're not a keyboard snob, you may not even notice the difference, but if there's any single feature that would make me reluctant to buy a MacBook, it would be the keyboard. [...]

geekbenchmacworld.jpg
I never found using the MacBook sluggish. Then again, I didn't try to play games on it. But again, if you're trying to play games on the MacBook, you may be missing the point. The integrated Intel HD Graphics 5300 processor is more than enough to drive the Retina display with no lag, and I found Apple's various interface animations ran smoothly.
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch:
I came to the MacBook with certain expectations; specifically, that it would not be able to meet my more "pro" level needs, in terms of Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. Luckily, the MacBook defied those expectations and performed well with each of the above applications.

Which isn't to say performance is on par with, say, the brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro -- it isn't. But pre-launch concerns of this machine being seriously hampered by its low-power Intel M processor were, in my experience, very premature. The new MacBook handled the tasks I threw at it so well that I am no seriously considering whether or not I can adopt one full-time, as a replacement to my original 2012 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro road warrior.
Dana Wollman, Engadget:
That's the thing, though: While USB Type-C ports will one day become industry standard, they're still uncommon enough that you will need a dongle to plug in any of your peripherals that use a full-sized USB Type-A connector. In my case, that meant I couldn't charge my phone off my laptop. I also couldn't use the USB headset I normally wear while podcasting and making voice recordings. If I did want to use my USB gadgets, I would have had to plug in a $79 adapter -- that's right, it's not even included in the box. Again, I expect USB Type-C will one day be the norm, and it's possible that your needs are simple enough that you can already live without the full-sized USB ports.
Joanna Stern, The Wall Street Journal:
I expect the new MacBook to follow the same path as the Air. Over the next few years, it will improve, and become an affordable, indispensable tool for life in the future. But here, now, in the present day, there are more practical slim, everyday laptop choices. The MacBook Air is the best option all around, the MacBook Pro Retina 13 is a great step up, and PC users can do no better than Dell's latest XPS 13.
macbookwsj.jpg
Christina Warren, Mashable:
The MacBook's Retina screen is joy to behold. As someone who has grown addicted to high-res displays, having such crisp visuals on a notebook this small is fantastic. In fact, I'm not sure how I'm going to return to my 13-inch MacBook Air.

Colors pop, text is crisp, and everything is visible from all angles. Using it outdoors or in low light was no problem -- the screen is great.
Other reviews: CNET, Wired, Slashgear, USA Today, The Loop, Bloomberg, and Six Colors.

The Retina MacBook will be available for purchase online and in stores on Friday, April 10. Prices start at $1,299 for the entry-level model with a 1.1GHz processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. A 1.2GHz model with 8GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD is also available for purchase, and both models can be upgraded with a 1.3GHz processor.

Article Link: MacBook Review Roundup: Major Design Appeal, but Too Many Key Compromises

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprising given the specs, this is not a 1,500 dollar laptop even if it is priced that way.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I now have more faith in the Apple Watch. The reviewers were negative about that, and they've been negative about this, too, which I actually think is a really great product.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't have ports any more than the iPad suffers for a lack of ports. Some use cases don't require them. If this laptop isn't for you, you can pretend it doesn't exist and get a MacBook Air or Pro.

Obviously though you get idiots saying "How will I plug in my 15 USB accessories while also charging and using an ethernet cable?" but I genuinely believe this laptop is no more radical than the MacBook Air's lack of optical drive.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
So... similar to the MacBook Air on release. Hopefully in a few years the performance will be at a level where for the complete average user (no games, no big apps like Photoshop, just email, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) it becomes one of the default recommendations.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
If you aren't willing to pay the difference and go with a MacBook Air or Macbook Pro, Apple will make you pay for it through non-sense compromises.

xante

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Not available for walk in purchase in Swedish Apple Store tomorrow. (Only online)

So I called my local Apple store here in Sweden (Täby Centrum) and apparently the new MacBook won't be available at the store tomorrow. You can only order it online tomorrow.. Anyone else heard about this?

Could the Apple rep have told me a lie just so people won't stand in line outside?

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Well, I said I would wait until the reviews came out. I've read many of them, and I've decided I will not be buying a new Macbook Retina. Sucks, because going from my MBPr to my non-retina Macbook Air strains my eyes. I wanted to like this so badly, but the processor is utter junk.

When you take out the automatic enthusiasm they have to put in there to keep on Apple's good side, the reviews are poor.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
As expected. Pricing and the lack of ports are problematic. The compromise is way to big. But some people around here will find an excuse (you are not the target audience, great machine, future of macbooks etc.) and spend happily their money for it.

thatsfinebut

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Chicago
I am typically extremely pro-Apple, but the prices of the dongles for this MacBook (in addition to the price of the MacBook) are indefensible.

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
No thanks. It amazes me that for $400 less you can get a MBA that is nearly as thin, nearly as light, has a better keyboard, better battery life, actually has ports that are more than handy, and is substantially more powerful and faster. (I like being able to edit video and photos with little problems)

The only thing it has going for it is its looks and screen.

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Same people who were writing and bitching about MBP losing CDROM are now bitching that this thing isn't convenient when editing movies? Really? What's next, you can't play latest call of duty?
Obviously "picking the right tool for the job" isn't something these braniacs are familiar with.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This product confuses me as a whole. It basically seems to be an iPad with a desktop interface. It's confusing also that this product is separate to the MacBook Air when I'm pretty sure the MacBook Air was invented as a light weight, portable and ultimately not-very-powerful notebook solution. Because all of the MacBook Airs are more powerful than this, it makes it an odd product category. I can't wait to see one in real life, but can't see how much use it would be aside from web browsing...in which case that £1,000 price tag is outrageously unrealistic. But hey, this is Apple we're talking about. :rolleyes:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
No go for me either. Too expensive, sub-par performance, and not being able to charge my phone are all deal breakers for me. I wish they just added a retina screen to the Air, but I will continue waiting (unless they make those large bezels go away) on the 13" Pro version sometime soon.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is the first time in at least 4 or 5 years that I've seen Apple miss their own battery life promises. Usually they exceed them, often by a lot. It's a shame.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
This product confuses me as a whole. It basically seems to be an iPad with a desktop interface. It's confusing also that this product is separate to the MacBook Air when I'm pretty sure the MacBook Air was invented as a light weight, portable and ultimately not-very-powerful notebook solution. Because all of the MacBook Airs are more powerful than this, it makes it an odd product category. I can't wait to see one in real life, but can't see how much use it would be aside from web browsing...in which case that £1,000 price tag is outrageously unrealistic. But hey, this is Apple we're talking about. :rolleyes:

Its going to be one of those products that you walk into the Apple store, walk right to this computer, show your friends, and you all say "wow". Then you walk away with $1,500 in your pocket and go on with your lives.

D28Z98

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
"I'd totally sacrifice all of the power of a modern laptop, and use something with the speed of a 2011 MacBook in order to just have it a TINY bit thinner!" - said no one, ever.

To me these just seem like Apple showing off what they CAN accomplish now, and nothing more.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's confusing also that this product is separate to the MacBook Air when I'm pretty sure the MacBook Air was invented as a light weight, portable and ultimately not-very-powerful notebook solution. Because all of the MacBook Airs are more powerful than this, it makes it an odd product category. I can't wait to see one in real life, but can't see how much use it would be aside from web browsing...in which case that £1,000 price tag is outrageously unrealistic. But hey, this is Apple we're talking about. :rolleyes:

I’m pretty sure it’s just a transitional thing. Once the MacBook has established itself, become better and the price has come down, it will replace the Air. Rebranding the MacBook Air now would be confusing. It’s not at all unlike Apple to make some key changes to new products after a while.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm a power user, and the compromises are PERFECT for me.

If only my current Air (which is slower than this) didn't still feel fast, I'd jump on it. But it's still fine, so I'll wait another year or two.

That's the point of having different models to choose from—one person's "compromise" is another person's "perfect balance."

For me, a heavier machine where I can plug in tons of cords at once is an unacceptable "compromise." (Seriously. When have I last plugged in more than one thing at once? A year or more? Wireless is the future. If you want the past, pick a different Mac.)

Right. If you take out the sugar coating, this is a downgrade to their current line up in every sense of the word.

(Boldface mine.)

How easily people forget.... Retina display. And Force Touch trackpad. All in something that's still as thin and light as an Air (better, even). Not possible last month... available this month! Progress.

"I'd totally sacrifice all of the power of a modern laptop, and use something with the speed of a 2011 MacBook in order to just have it a TINY bit thinner!" - said no one, ever.

I certainly would say that, since I'm using a 2011 MacBook Air right now. Make it thinner and lighter, yes please! (Yet with a bigger screen and longer battery life.)

Your needs are not everyone's.

And throw in a retina display :)

Plus I'd rather have the next USB port than the old style--since I'm looking ahead.

I do not judge those whose needs are different from mine. Just know that needs vary.

(I'd recommend this machine hands-down to 99% of non-techie people too.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.