Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-owned headphone company Beats by Dre today announced the launch of several new Solo2 Wireless headphones, in colors that match Apple's iPhone, iPad, and new MacBook. Available in Gold, Silver, and Space Gray, the headphones are otherwise identical to the company's existing Solo2 Wireless headphones.

The Solo2 Wireless on-ear headphones were released in November, and were the first product released by Beats since Apple's acquisition of the company officially closed. The Solo2 Wireless are a wireless version of the wired Solo2 headphones that are a staple in the Beats headphone lineup.

beatssolo2wireless-800x400.jpg
Both the Gold and Silver varieties of the new Solo2 Wireless headphones feature white accents and ear cups, while the Space Gray version includes black accents and black ear cups, for an accurate match to Apple's line of Gold, Silver, and Space Gray devices.
Solo2 Wireless offers the same dynamic sound and streamlined design as Solo2, but with the added benefit of wireless capabilities. With its Bluetooth technology, Solo2 Wireless can move freely for up to 30 feet from your audio device. Take phone calls, skip songs, and change the volume using the "b" button and volume buttons on the ear cup. Its rechargeable battery allows you to enjoy up to 12 hours of wireless playback. Not charged? Not a problem. Just plug in the provided RemoteTalkTM cable and enjoy your music.
Apple has largely taken over the Beats business, with the headphones being sold in Apple Stores rather than on the Beats website and all Beats support being handled by Apple support representatives, both online and in retail locations. Despite this, products being sold today are still those that have been designed without Apple's guidance, and it remains unclear when we might see new headphone lines created with Apple's technology and design influence.

The new Solo2 Wireless headphones can be purchased from the online Apple Store for $299.95 and will ship out in one business day. They aren't available in retail stores yet, but should be popping up at Apple Stores over the next few days.

Article Link: Beats Launches New Solo2 Wireless Headphones in iPhone Colors

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Different colors then white, space gray and gold would be nice:cool:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Different colors then white, space gray and gold would be nice:cool:

I have a navy/royal pair. They also come in black, white, and red. What color are you looking for?

And before everyone chimes in to say how "crap" Beats headphones sound, you need to read some reviews of the newer headphones. They don't sound like crap anymore. They are a perfect mirror of any Apple branded product: they still may be expensive for what you get, but they look great. And now they sound great, too.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
How does Apple improved their overpriced crappy headphones? They add a few more colors. Yea, that's the ticket.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I have a navy/royal pair. They also come in black, white, and red. What color are you looking for?

And before everyone chimes in to say how "crap" Beats headphones sound, you need to read some reviews of the newer headphones. They don't sound like crap anymore. They are a perfect mirror of any Apple branded product: they still may be expensive for what you get, but they look great. And now they sound great, too.

Hopefully they're not a perfect mirror of the Apple branded earbuds. Because :eek:.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Since Apple's acquired Beats, has their quality gotten any better?

I've never used them, but a common complaint I've heard is that they over do the bass in most situations.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013

I've never used them, but a common complaint I've heard is that they over do the bass in most situations.

NO. They are not hi-fi headphones. They are not designed for actual audio quality. They are a fashion piece.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010

They haven't done anything with the headphones themselves at all, as far as I'm aware.

Maybe around the time of the next iPhone launch?

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas

I am not what anyone would call a hardcore audiophile and am not a sonic expert, but I will say that my Beats studio that I had several years ago sounded way better than other smaller models and many other headphones I have tried.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe the over ear model was the good one, but I really did not like the sound from the smaller models at all.

Hopefully, the entire lineup sounds better now...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tbh, just different selection. Apple seems hung up on those three colors. I'd like to see vibrant selections :D

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Plastic in metallic colors looks worse than 'unapologetic' plastic IMO.

Headphones made out of anodized unibody aluminium on the other hand, that may be interesting.

Imagine something like the Beats Executive, but with the Solos's minimalistic shape and even the outer part of the head band being made out of aluminum. Would be the best-looking Beats IMO.

BeatsExecutive_35544557_07.jpg

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I was a naysayer on Beats headphones due to the first generation being overly bassy and lacking highs.

Then the Solo2's came out and they reduced the Bass and increased the clarity on the highs and they are actually fairly decent headphones now.

Now would I pay $300 for the wireless ones? Not at all. I got my black and Red ones for $150 on Black Friday and for that, they were a good deal.

Edit: And many 3rd party reviewers are saying the exact same thing.... Solo2 remedied a lot of the deficiencies of the original Solos.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I saw a blue set on the train yesterday. Looked really sharp. I'd consider these if I were looking for over the head ones for my commute.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
... And before everyone chimes in to say how "crap" Beats headphones sound, you need to read some reviews of the newer headphones. They don't sound like crap anymore. They are a perfect mirror of any Apple branded product: they still may be expensive for what you get, but they look great. And now they sound great, too.

... Edit: And many 3rd party reviewers are saying the exact same thing.... Solo2 remedied a lot of the deficiencies of the original Solos.

Guys, don't waste your time. If the naysayers actually read the reviews it would destroy the Beats Sucks narrative. I mean seriously, why would anyone actually read a review or listen to the product when it's soooooo much easier to regurgitate the same old crap based on old reviews of old products.:rolleyes:

You two obviously don't know how this is supposed to work.;)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So these are still plastic, right? They look nice otherwise. I'd buy these under three conditions:

• They sound better
  • They replace the Beats logo with an Apple logo
  • They use aluminum instead of plastic where possible

Basically I hope that Jony Ive works to design the next version.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010

Omg did you really post that? Are you part of that company? If not, you maybe better get a life!

----------

And now you want to rely on other people's opinion rather than thinking and deciding for yourself??

Anyway, nice design, the new line makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.