Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we reported this morning, astute iPod owners with iTunes 12.2 have discovered an image that depicts the iPod touch, nano, and shuffle in new colors, suggesting an update could be in the works. A bit more digging around in iTunes 12.2 has unearthed additional iPod images, giving us a look at each of the new color options we might see should Apple be planning to release new models.

The images depict six different color options for the iPod nano, shuffle, and touch, showing each model in silver, space gray, red, bright pink, deep blue, and light gold. The latter three colors, pink, blue, and gold, are new shades that are not currently available. The space gray model may be slightly darker than the existing color, but it's difficult to determine from images alone.

ipod_2015_colors.jpg

Aside from new color options, the devices appear to be largely the same, except perhaps for an external change for the iPod touch that does away with the attachment for the wrist loop. It is not clear if Apple plans to update the internals of the devices or if the company is simply going to introduce new color options, but the images make it clear that a potential update is not going to feature a major external redesign.

Apple's iPod lineup has not seen new color additions since 2013, due to a sharp decline in sales over the past several years. The last update saw Apple change the "slate" color to "space gray" in September of 2013, and no major color changes have been made since that date.

The Calendar app on the iPod touch in the images reads "Tuesday 14," leading some of our readers to speculate that Apple might plan to introduce new models on Tuesday, July 14, which is two weeks from now.

Article Link: Full Lineup of Colors for Upcoming iPod Refresh Includes New Blue, Gold, and Pink Options

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
What's interesting, is that the Space Gray and Gold match the current iPhone 6/iPad Air 2 Gold.

There were also rumors of the 6s coming in a "pink" option.

Is it possible that we'll see the iPhone 6s in the shown pink and blue? (and possibly red)

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Sigh, that's a color lineup? The first thought that came to mind was, "Ew, fugly, ew."

Remember this? Those were the days. It'd put you in a dilemma as to which one to pick. This lineup makes me wanna count which ones not to choose.

ipod-nanochromatic.jpg

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
No red background on the red iPod touch, just like the current one...but the iPod Nano does?

Also, they probably didn't include yellow or green ones because they're the ones that sell the least.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Fingers crossed for some internal updates for the Touch. A5 doesn't cope with 2015's software very well.
My guess is that it will be an A7, although I have no idea why they didn't just introduce these models back in September 2014 to take advantage of the holidays. Also, if you look closely at the back of the new iPod touch, there doesn't seem to be a different camera (check the size of the aperture) nor a true-tone flash, so they probably stuck to the same ones :(

I have a feeling that this iPod touch will be like an iPad Mini 2 in specs, just like the current one is like an iPad Mini 1. They're holding off on adding Touch ID, just like the iPad Mini 2 and iPad Air 1.

Reactions: Jsameds

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Actually like the new colour lineup. Hopefully the internals are going to get some upgrades. I still like using my Classic in the car for long road trips over my iPhone. Would like to get a touch but they really need an upgrade internally otherwise this upgrade is useless. I really do not believe a colour change alone will increase sales.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like to walk to work or take public transportation. In doing so I see a lot of people carrying lots of devices. I have to say that on ocasion I have seen a jogger with a shuffle (maybe twice this year). No Nano, no Touch. I think they will need to do a little more than update the color if they want these devices to be relevant again, because in my on-the-street experience, they are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.