19" MacBook Pro

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Any chance of Apple releasing a 19" MBP? I'm just finding the 17" a bit too small for my liking. I feel that the extra screen space would offset the slight loss in mobility. I'd happily pay slightly more for this. Anyone else feel the same way?

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
why would you on gods earth want a 19" laptop? really limits the mobility, and in that case, why not just buy an iMac?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Any chance of Apple releasing a 19" MBP? I'm just finding the 17" a bit too small for my liking. I feel that the extra screen space would offset the slight loss in mobility. I'd happily pay slightly more for this. Anyone else feel the same way?
Zero chance. Many people think a 17" is too big and unwieldy. If you need more screen real estate buy a larger monitor to hook up the laptop, or buy an iMac.

a 19" laptop would be too big/heavy to be considered a mobile computer.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I need a really small, mobile notebook and a very large one.

I would probably buy a MacBook Air 19" and a MacBook Air 9".

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I want a holo-cube. A device the size of a zippo, that can project a 27'' screen into thin air and an infrared keyboard and touchpad on the table in front of me. Of course with quad core power and GPU and all the other fancy stuff. Then I can finally ditch my heavy laptop bag.

ghostworld

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
why would you on gods earth want a 19" laptop? really limits the mobility, and in that case, why not just buy an iMac?
This is my thought exactly. If you want a larger screen, go for the iMac. Laptops are meant for portability.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Be thankful they still even make the 17" really.

If you want a bigger display, buy a 27" display to plug it into.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This has basically already been tried by Dell. It was the XPS M2010 and it was an epic fail.
True! What really made it an epic fail was that it didn't offer much over the top end 17" machines other than that huge display. They tried marketing it to nerds that loved LAN parties and professionals in multimedia/engineering, but nerds at LAN parties don't have money, and pros in the field don't want to carry a 20 lbs. machine.

Yeah and it was a total pig of a boat anchor as well, which didn't help it's cause!
It was mostly that monitor and the space needed to cool it. They had 19" laptops here and there, but they just sucked compared to the 17" and 15" versions. The price would shoot up another $500-$700 just because of the display, and you didn't get any special hardware benefit.

The real questions is: Will Apple put the full keyboard on the 19" MBP?

New_19_inch_macbook_pro_by_carmo92.jpeg

Now, I would never use anything other than a 17" MBP for my line of work, but I don't think a 19" would be any real benefit. And I don't like off-center keyboard layouts so I'll just take that immaculate 17" MBP as is.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
No. Way. Then again, I also think 27" is too big for a desktop display as well.
Have to agree with both counts here. The iMac screen size was the reason why I switched over to the MBP...27" was just too big for my needs.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My 17" MBP near enough tears my arms off lugging it.....A 19" not going to happen....Let's face it that's low end desktop territory anyway. I have a 13" MBA would like to see a 15" model, but that's being covered in another thread.