Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced a new offer as part of its iPhone Forever program, where customers can get the new 16GB version of the iPhone 6s for $1 per month and the iPhone 6s Plus for $5 per month, with the trade-in of an iPhone 6. The carrier noted that the new offer is a "limited time" deal for those users visiting Sprint's retail locations, with the official launch of the program coinciding with the new iPhone debut on Friday morning.

iPhone-6s-Front-800x451.jpg

Just like T-Mobile's offering, the price required to pay each month will vary depending on the exact type of iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus model you purchase, and the quality of the iPhone 6 that is traded in. With that in mind, customers can expect to pay around $5.77/month (64GB) or $10.53 (128GB) when purchasing an iPhone 6s, and $9.77/month (64GB) or $14.53 (128GB) when buying an iPhone 6s Plus.
"Once again it is clear that the best place to get the new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus is Sprint," said Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure. "New and existing customers who trade in their current iPhone 6 can now get a device for only $1/month, making it the best way to get the iPhone - and a yearly upgrade is included in this charge. We are certain that more people will continue to switch to Sprint because of the great service and value we offer."
Those who trade in an iPhone 5s will also be able to participate in the offer, but can expect slightly higher monthly rates due to the older model of the iPhone. Preparations have begun for the launch of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. The smartphones will officially go on sale tomorrow, September 25 in first-wave launch countries including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK, and the United States.

Article Link: Sprint Undercuts T-Mobile With $1/Month iPhone 6s Lease on iPhone 6 Trade-In

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
That is a great deal provided one can get decent reception.

Sprint works well for me in the Atlanta area. If I wasn't already in one of their older lease to own or return programs, I would take advantage of this deal.

I would like to remind those on the forum who love to bash Sprint etc., Sprint has coverage issues just like any other carrier. None of them are perfect. If some of you want to pay top dollar for top speed, ( you know this because you spend a lot of your time doing speed test so you can brag) go ahead. For many of us, Sprint works well for our needs and location.

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
That is a great deal provided one can get decent reception.

Sprint works well for me in the Atlanta area. If I wasn't already in one of their older lease to own or return programs, I would take advantage of this deal.

I would like to remind those on the forum who love to bash Sprint etc., Sprint has coverage issues just like any other carrier. None of them are perfect. If some of you want to pay top dollar for top speed, ( you know this because you spend a lot of your time doing speed test so you can brag) go ahead. For many of us, Sprint works well for our needs and location.

I agree every carrier has network issues to one extent or another.

As a former Sprint customer, my problem with them was their customer service. Other than SiriusXM, it's been easily the worst I've ever experienced.

Pfunstuff

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Oviedo, FL
It's hard to believe anyone else is going to try and one up this deal, but it will be interesting to see if someone does.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree every carrier has network issues to one extent or another.

As a former Sprint customer, my problem with them was their customer service. Other than SiriusXM, it's been easily the worst I've ever experienced.
There is no denying that customer service for many with Sprint hasn't been what it should be. I have read horror stories about AT&T and Verizon etc as well.

I don't know if Maurice will be able to get Sprint to where it needs to be long term. I think he is doing what he can. It is going to take a lot of commitment and capital. I do like how he is helping to keep pressure of the other companies. Increased competition is good for us consumers.

Reactions: brendu

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
So basically the cost of the network service is now just to assume and include the cost of the phone every year? In other words if I had my own phone fully paid off I would not be able to find a cheaper service then someone needing a carrier subsidized phone?

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Shows that everyone's profit margins and life (when it comes to carrier's) revolves around the iPhone.

But its funny its the bottom 3 battling it out as Verizon just sitting quietly and serving people with their superior coverage nationwide.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
They'd probably have a few takers if you could do simultaneous voice and data when not connected to WiFi :-(

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wow, Sprint is getting desperate! Even T-Mobile, long considered the worst of the big 4 looks worlds better than Sprint. I just can't imagine ever going to Sprint or recommending them to anyone. Everyone I know who had them in the past dumped them because they were terrible. Quite frankly I'm amazed they are still in business. I'm a KC native, which is where they are headquartered. We would always joke about how horrible Sprint service was, even down near their headquarters! It was utterly pathetic. Competition is good and all, but Sprint doesn't do anything to push the industry forward. Remember WiMAX? HAHA.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I've never really cared about the whole "customer service" concept for any company except Sprint. It is SO HORRIBLE I would rather drown in the ocean than ever have anything at all to do with Sprint ever again. STAY AWAY.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I'm glad to see all this hatred for Sprint, because it's well-deserved.

The abysmal service I've received nationwide is inexcusable in late 2015. Literally useless 3G, extremely slow LTE, non-existent "Spark"... All while living smack dab in the middle of one of their best coverage zones.

"You get what you pay for" isn't true with Sprint. You don't even get THAT.

gower2352

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Just switched to Sprint from AT&T. Couldn't be happier. I thought no simultaneous voice and data would be bothersome but it hasn't affected me in the least. I have seen over 50 megabytes at times with Sprint.

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
This is interesting. I have a pretty sweet deal with att right now. 4 lines unlimited text/calling and 20g for $140. I'm in KC and have several friends with sprint and they all say the coverage is great here. Anyone do the "cut bill in half" promotion? If that would lower my bill even further and I get a 6S for a buck, not a bad deal. Plus I would get wifi calling and could use my phone in my house.

woody686

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
I wish we could some cheap contracts like that in the UK. I'm looking at £130 up front and £39/month (for 24 montsh) for a 64Gb 6S.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Difference is that T-Mobile's network is better with 700 MHz support now, their pricing is still competitive, and the customer service isn't garbage. The only thing Sprint has going for it is that it's cheap. AT&T is pretty good at getting deals for new phones ahead of everyone else, but that's about it (and if you just want the iPhone anyway, who cares?). They charge a premium for their services when their network is really no better than T-Mobile's. And Verizon does have a good network... They'll just charge you an arm and a leg for it, and in my experience, treat you like dirt.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
If i am not mistaken Sprint is the only provider now that does not offer simultaneous data and voice on iphones including 6 and 6+. I am not sure if anything is changing with the "s" models but this is defenitelly something to keep in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.