$199 and $299? Maybe not for you! Read on...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrazEtooN, Jun 9, 2008.

1. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The price was announced.

$199 and $299 for an upgrade iPhone.

The applause was wild, but the details were left out.

A quick visit to Apple's site tells you the same info. $199 and $299 for the 8 and 16 gigabyte iPhones, respectively. Look closely and you will notice the small asterisk (the * symbol...). Follow it to the bottom of the page and you will see the following:

"Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately"

Ok, but what does that mean? There are no other prices listed, and it is widely known that you can't activate a 3G iPhone without renewing your existing contract or starting a new one. That means that everyone gets this price, right? One would think, but read on...

The plot thickens as the one and only BoyGenius fields an At&t email. The email can be read in its entirety at the following link:

BoyGenius Report: At&t Email about new iPhone

I will post the important part that you may not want to see, but need to be aware of.

The email says, and I quote:

Upgrade Eligibility and Qualified Upgrade Pricing

Upgrade eligibility will be determined based on standard upgrade eligibility rules. Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades.

All customers will be required to sign a 2-year agreement. There will not be a “no commitment” price for the iPhone 3G.

No, don't rub your eyes, don't check your glasses or contacts, you read it correctly. Not all of us are eligible for the $199/$299 pricing. If you are a current iPhone user, you are set. If you are a new customer, you are set. If you are a current At&t customer and are upgrade eligible, you are set.

What if you are a "middle of your contract" customer and your phone isn't an iPhone, like myself and many others? You are not set. We are the ones being talked about as "non-qualified" for upgrade. We are the ones that the prices haven't been determined for.

What does this mean? Will we have to pay $400 and $500, the existing 8 and 16 gigabyte prices, for our iPhones? Will our iPhones still be cheaper?

Only time will tell, but I think it would be a good idea to cross your fingers and say a little prayer. It also begs to question, would it be worth it to find a cheap, used iPhone on Craigslist to activate and use until the 3G is dropped, just to be certain that you are eligible for upgrade pricing? Until we know what the "non-qualified" pricing will be, that is just another question that will go unanswered.

This day is not turning out as well as I would have liked. First, no release until July 11th. Second, no mention of cut and paste, universal landscape keyboard, or MMS. Third, the only real upgrades are 3G and GPS, the one thing we never thought Apple would do (not having other upgrades that is)... I am still highly interested in the new iPhone, and I still have every intention of buying one depending on the "real" price, but today has seriously been very lackluster when compared to the previous hype. Especially after reading this At&t email...

2. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

what if you sold your iphone but still have the SIM.

3. automatickyle macrumors regular

I think we all need to shut our mouth and wait until we see how this thing pans out. Give the thing a few days to see how all of this will work. People will jump to conclusion and act like they are an AT&T or Apple representative the day the thing was released. Chill. Check the front page of macrumors as well with the update about the 2 year contract being replaced, not extended.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

This is so true, and I agree entirely. I am current iPhone user, but I feel for you and hope it works out okay... It appears that both Apple and AT&T were VERY unprepared for this - extremely sloppy and unprofessional.

5. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

Forgive me for trying to be helpful and give pertinent information to the community. I didn't see anything that clearly stated what I posted on the front page...

Would you have preferred if I posted a new poll on disappointment? Perhaps I should have added another wonderful topic on how Apple bombed?

6. automatickyle macrumors regular

No being helpful is good, but I have seen (not talking about yours) some stupid comments on here today about this whole thing. I am suggesting that everyone should let more information be released before jumping around and making assumptions about this and that. After all, it was only announced today, right? Most of these people will end up buying the new phone and enjoy it. I trust that Apple knows what they are doing.

7. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

You do have a good point about assumptions. I am also fairly confident that Apple will make good pricing decisions. I will, most likely, also end up buying the new iPhone, I am just a bit nervous at this point.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I see where automatickyle is coming from, as well as CrazEtooN - Like I said earlier. It's not like Apple to be like this. We have been left hanging on the edge of a cliff, without the whole story and catches etc... I think all that we can do is wait at this point because it is causing way too much unnecessary craziness.

9. automatickyle macrumors regular

I was planning too, but like you I am waiting it out before this release to exactly get all the details. I have my contract with them already on my iPhone, but don't want anything sneaky going down.

10. HoverPizza macrumors newbie

Sorry if I'm ignorant on this subject matter, but...

I don't believe they made any mention of a subsidy on the iphone. Didn't they just say that the price is 199 and 299 with a two-year contract? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

11. automatickyle macrumors regular

As far as I know, it is those prices period; however, I am waiting to see what they do with the plans exactly.

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Mr. Jobs said the best thing was the new pricing. But we get no information about it. I agree with it being somewhat sloppy...seems as though they haven't decided on anything yet but I'm guessing it is going to end up being whoever is willing to pay for the monthly data plan for 2 years is going to get these prices.

We know they want existing customers upgrading. Now that I think about it..we may even get a discount because they will definitely want us off those cheaper data plans and will likely take a hit (maybe not though).

I can't wait to check one out.

13. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

The bolded parts are essentially At&t saying that certain customers may have to pay more. If you follow the link and read the entire email, you will be clued in a bit more.

EDIT: The email also has a passage that says all pre-existing iPhone customers are eligible for the discounted pricing, regardless of the length of their contract. If you currently have an active iPhone, you have nothing to worry about and this means nothing to you.

14. heyp macrumors 6502

this was my concern... i'm in the category that is not eligible for an upgrade, so i'm preparing to pay $500 for the 16 GB

15. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

How can AT&T charge MORE than what Apple is going to charge? Steve Jobs himself stated the new, lower, prices for the 3G iPhone this morning. What that tells me is that, as long as you can still go to the Apple store and pick one up, you would be stupid to go to an AT&T store for your purchase. The $400 and $500 prices will not be charged to anyone, because everyone is smarter than to pay that price.

I, myself, am not eligible for an equipment upgrade until 12 August. Maybe AT&T will give me some sort of discount on or after that day if I buy the 3G iPhone. If I pick it up before then, I would expect to pay the full price, either $300 or $400, and not one cent more than that. If AT&T tries to charge me any more than that, I'll take my happy butt down to the Apple Store!

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

16. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

It's all up in the air at this point. I am certain we will have more definitive answers before the week is out, but it will be an uneasy time for some of us. The majority on the board seem very upset with the new iPhone, but I am not. Yes, as I said in my original post, I am left feeling slightly disappointed, but that is the fault of my own over-hyping, not Apple. The upgrades really are good enough for me, and I want to get one pretty badly. I just don't want to be gouged for it...

Much like I let myself get over-hyped during the days and weeks prior to WWDC, I am now letting myself get over-worried about this info. I personally need to just chill out about it and see how it plays out...

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's the reward for someone who got an iPhone that was originally ineligible for a subsidy. You were able to still buy the iPhone for $399 and just make a new contract for 2 years from the date of that purchase.

Now, they're giving all iPhone users an automatic subsidy if you currently own an iPhone.

Sell the old one to an unlocker for at least the price of a new subsidized one - both buyer and seller win!

18. cjmal macrumors 6502

What I don't understand is what category I fall into. I used to have an active iphone on a gophone plan, but stopped using it months ago. I will obviously be considered a new customer, but the reason I was on the gophone plan was because I wasn't eligible for the 2 year contract. What will the price be for me? Will I just be told "you aren't eligible for a 2 year contract, thus no iPhone for you, move along"?

19. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know, but it is a good question. Man, I really, really hope they give us more info before the week is out. If I need to buy an EDGE iPhone off of Craigslist, I need to know before all the sellers learn of the new rules, and start charing ridiculous amounts for their used 1st gens...

20. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Wait even longer....

Like on the 1st iPhone, why not wait for 3-4 months after they are out to see how the prices and plans do. I know that AT&T kept the 1st round at the same plan prices, but what if a lot of people don't bite on their new higher 3G plans?

21. saxamoophone macrumors regular

This is something I've been trying to figure out too =/

This is just a guess, but I'm guessing it would probably end up costing $200 or so more, putting the iphone back at 399/499, which wouldn't be too bad.

Hopefully Apple & AT&T will get the details out asap!

22. CrazEtooN thread starter macrumors regular

The data plan doesn't bother me in the least. I currently have a BlackBerry Curve with At&t, and I currently pay $30 a month for EDGE data and email. Moving to the $30 iPhone data plan is a lateral change for me.

I am just concerned about the device itself.

23. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well I am in the UK and there is no commitment option - pay as you go! The prices are probably gonna be higher than the contract iPhones (although no prices have been officially been announced yet for pay as you go) but you aint gonna be stuck with a 2 year contract! You gotta love flexibility!

Plus, unlimited data for O2 pay as you go is £7.50 a month, MUCH CHEAPER!

24. rfong06 macrumors member

If my family plan contract is ending in a month and I plan to extend my contract and get the new 3g iphone will I be paying for the data and voice price for the iphone or just the voice for family plan and the extra 30 a month for data?:confused: