Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors have suggested Apple is exploring wireless charging as a feature to be included in the 2017 iPhone, and a new report from Taiwanese site Economic Daily News [Google Translate] suggests Apple has begun seeking suppliers for wireless charging components. Apple is said to have asked semiconductor company MediaTek to send chip samples for inclusion in a "dedicated wireless charging back cover."

Based on the wording of the report, it's unclear if Apple is working on wireless charging built into the next-generation iPhone or a wireless charging case that would be used alongside the next-generation iPhone for wireless charging purposes, but DigiTimes says the report refers to "peripherals" like iPhone cases to "try out" wireless charging.

An example of extended-range wireless charging from Energous, a company Apple could potentially be working with

Previous rumors have suggested Apple is exploring long-range wireless charging as a feature that could potentially be included in iPhones as soon as 2017. Long-range wireless charging is superior to many existing wireless charging methods because it does not require devices to be as close to a charging source or mat.

Apple has also been hiring engineers with expertise in wireless charging in recent months, confirming a definite interest in wireless charging technology.

Wireless charging, whether implemented through a case or built directly into the iPhone, is just one of the many impressive features rumored for the 2017 iPhone, which is the 10th anniversary iPhone. The device is expected to feature a complete design overhaul with a glass body and an edge-to-edge display, along with advanced biometric features like iris scanning and an enhanced Taptic engine to make up for the elimination of the Home button.

Article Link: Apple Seeking Supplier for Wireless Charging Chips

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Looks like the artist responsible for this video is a BMW fan.

BMW-Active-Hybrid-5-Armaturenbrett.jpg

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Darn, so that more or less confirms that there won't be any wireless charging option this year. I guess if they can make it truly wireless then it's for sure worth another year wait. Just please bring fast charging

I wasn't expecting it. You'll get faster charging however.

Reactions: Avieshek

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Two developments on the horizon that eliminate battery life concerns on smartphones: ubiquitous wireless charging, and very fast charging batteries.

Reactions: jhwalker and Agit21

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Yeah, seems to hint that we won't be getting wireless charging in the iPhone 7, although if I'm honest I wasn't really expecting it. Wireless charging even at the 'basic' level should have been included at least since the iPhone 6. It's such a shame that we have to wait (if it's even planned) to get a feature thats been well proven and reliable to be included in a premium handset. I'd much rather have the 'basic'/close-range wireless charging now than having to wait so long for a truly wireless charging technology to be developed.

I'm no longer bothered about the lack of innovation at Apple since we're not even fully benefitting from existing technologies that have been around for a while on other handsets.

Last edited:

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Only a few years late... On par for Apple I guess, given the Mac line.

If the case is metal on iPhone 7, you will not get wireless charging... Maybe if the logo cutout were bigger, but it is not, so...

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Darn, so that more or less confirms that there won't be any wireless charging option this year. I guess if they can make it truly wireless then it's for sure worth another year wait. Just please bring fast charging

It's not going to be nearly as fast as a cable, but it really won't need to be, considering your phone will be constantly charging at range in your home, office, car, public transit, cafes, etc. without you having to do anything. There will probably even eventually be battery accessories you can keep in a bag which utilizes this wireless tech that will charge your phone effortlessly throughout the day.

I'm sure a cable/port for faster charging will be an option for at least a couple years while this tech makes its way around.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Next year would be too early anyway.
People don' t realize, how much research there has to be done for long term effect on health, etc.
It can' t be that there is electricity in the air without some radiation or other effects, magnetic fields, etc.
I , for one, don' t have a good feeling about it.
If it checks out, and it is good, it will be world changing though, and will shake up the entire tech industry.

In the long run, and tech improves, no more power cable at all. Wireless charging systems along the roads , so you won' t have to charge your Tessa/apple car, etc. Just drive , and it is charging while you drive, etc.

Apple putting it in a case in 2 years is plausible, they won' t put it in the iphone itself, it is expensive tech, that will eat too much into margins. They will let the buyer decide and pay more, if they want it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Could this work both ways? Could the phone receive power when near one of these chargers as well as send power to a device like the Apple Watch? If the watch could charge this way, as long as you keep your phone topped off you would never have to remove and charge your watch again. The watch and phone would WattUp at the coffee shop and the watch would WattUp when away from a standard charger.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Extended range wireless charging will be the biggest thing since the internet if it works as seamlessly as demonstrated in that video.

Yes this is the other shoe and I others have been expecting to drop, and totally explains why they are dropping the headphone jack.

In not the next phone 2018 will definitely see the Lightning port go away entirely. No opening on the phone whatsoever.

I'd rather have a year without the 3.5mm jack to work out the audio thing before they try to sort out this.

But there's the road map folks!

Reactions: ghost187

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Could this work both ways? Could the phone receive power when near one of these chargers as well as send power to a device like the Apple Watch? If the watch could charge this way, as long as you keep your phone topped off you would never have to remove and charge your watch again. The watch and phone would WattUp at the coffee shop and the watch would WattUp when away from a standard charger.

Can you say always on display?
[doublepost=1473191219][/doublepost]
You won't all be so happy when you find out it's because they're doing away with the Lightning port to make the iPhone 7 37 microns thinner :confused:

Who the hell needs the Lightning port on a mobile device anyway? Or USB-C for that matter?

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
I'd love some charging chips built into the dash or console of new cars. Put them near where mounts go.

I'd love to be able to travel totally wireless, still have a charged phone after my commute, and not have to change the design of the phone or car with after market cases or dangling wires.

Reactions: AirunJae
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.