1G vs. 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rbf1138, Sep 6, 2010.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I've had my first gen touch since 2007, and haven't really seen either of the revisions to it. I still think the 1g is incredibly thin, so is the 4g going to be noticeably thinner than the first gen? My new one is supposed to arrive Thursday, but I'm just wondering how shocking it will be.

Also, what was the battery duration estimated initially for the first gen? Obviously my battery life is significantly diminished 3 years later, but was it rated at something like 12 hours, or more like 20 when they first came out?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yeah uhh.. the 4G iPod touch kills the 1G. Especially in battery life, performance, speed, and features.

3. SoraLimit macrumors regular

4. Alkyrian macrumors newbie

If i remember well the 1G ipod (the one i have currently too) was 22h audio and 5 video for the battery life.

In term of additions between the 1g and the 4g i think there are many :

from 2nd and 3rd touch

- Volume button
    - Built-in speaker
    - Bluetooth
    - Nike+

+ all the bell and whistle from the 4th ipod touch in terms of hardware

5. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

I'd say go for the upgrade. The 4G will be significantly thinner than the iPt1G because it has the same flat back, instead of the curved like the 2G and 3G.

But the biggest reason I'd do it is speed and battery life (along with a longer life support for apps.)

6. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see that the audio chip changed between 1g and 2/3g. Was there a discernible upgrade or change in audio quality, or just a change in the hardware used?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've always preferred listening to music on my 1G iPod Touch rather then my 2G iPT or my 3Gs.

8. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I'm definitely upgrading, delivery is Thursday morning! Looking at the wiki, the first gen is thinner than the 2/3g, but yeah, the 4g will be even thinner than 1g.

PEople also haven't mentioned that 1g had the black border, 2/3g had the silver, now it's back to looking more like the front of the 1g (border-wise).

9. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Care to elaborate? Do you use a headphone amp, and what kind of headphones are you using?

10. headset macrumors member

I see the 4th gen as the first real upgrade worth considering since the original ipod touch. The first gen was SO solid. The second and third never felt as solid and the curved back was annoying.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The songs just sound more real to me on the 1G. I use the Apple earbuds that come with the iPhone/iPod.

12. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to be a dick, but using the stock earbuds, you might as well be listening to a cassette player. You can't honestly make a sound quality comparison using those earbuds. I'm afraid to even ask what quality your music is in. If it isn't at least 192kbps (which just cuts it for decent headphones), your ability tell the difference in sound quality is even worse.

13. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I agree, not too much changed with prior gens. I will be upgrading from a refurbished 1st gen touch that works great. I may sell it to a friend.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's in 320Kpbs, in the car where my 1G lives it's plugged into the AUX in port.

15. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

And what headphones would you recommend to make the music sound as good as it possibly could?

16. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

headfi.org ;)

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Depends on how much you want to spend. At home I use Audio-technica AD-700. they're not very expensive (~$120 when I bought them) and sound very good compared to other headphones in that price range. On the go I'm using Apple's dual driver in-ear headphones. They sound infinitely better than the stock ear buds. I'm sure there are better sounding earphones, but I like having the integrate mix and remote.

18. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Well... uhhhh...
    • Better graphics (OpenGL ES 2.0, PowerVR SGX)
    • Retina display w/ such a high pixel density you can't tell between each pixel
    • Voice Control
    • Volume buttons
    • Speaker
    • MUCH faster processor (Apple A4 @ around 1GHz compared to 400-something MHz)
    • 512MB RAM
    • Microphone
    • Full iOS 4! (multitasking, background wallpaper, folders, iBooks, etc.)
    • Gyroscope
    • HD-recording rear camera w/ stills
    • VGA front camera
    • FaceTime
    • 802.11n WiFi
    • Accessibility options
    • Bluetooth
    • Nearly twice the battery life!

Need I say more?

19. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Much better battery life :D

20. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I could swear I included that! :D
    Thanks, post has been edited.

21. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

This.

22. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Been using my G1 Touch since just after it was launched. I agree with everyone, it's been rock solid. Thanks to the new/much larger IOS versions and the fact that I've got an Iphone 4 to compare it to, it now seems painfully slow.

In addition to all the items posted above, persistent wifi is another top item for me. I think the thing that makes the G1 touch seem so slow to me- prob more than anything else, is the 20-30 seconds I have to wait for it to connect to my wifi network each time I pick it up. Prob spoiled by the phone.

I really wanted the G2 w/speaker when it came out- but now glad I held off. This one finally seems like a replacement that could last another 3 years.

btw- do we know whether or not this version of the Touch will be setup to run faster than the i4? I know that at least one earlier version of the touch (G2 perhaps?) had the CPU dialed up slightly over the then current iPhone.

23. kknott228 macrumors newbie

Really Worth It?

This is for those of you that already own the G1 version and have bought the G4.

I mainly use my ipod for checking email and web browsing. Im a college student so I have wifi pretty much everywhere I go. My question is this: does the faster processor really make that big of a difference for the web browsing? I am not concerned about the battery life because I always can charge it before it dies so thats a non-issue. I am right now just unsure of paying basically 300 bucks (I would want the 32 gb version because already have filled my 16 gb 1st Gen and want to add more music) for the 4g unless the performance actually makes a huge difference in using the device. Right now I am somewhat content with my 1G, yeah it can be kinda slow and it has a line of dead pixels, but it gets the basics done. So basically does the upgrade of processor / screen / addition of cameras worth $300?

Thanks for any feedback.

24. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It should be so much better than the 1g. I just got a 3G touch and it blows my old 1G touch away. Everything is so much faster, web,apps,videos are better on it. Literally everything.

25. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Yes, the difference is very noticeable. If you need a camcorder with some editing functionality the 4th gen certainly is worth it, but if you're strapped for cash and don't need the cam, look for the 32g 3rd generation iPod Touch which can be had for a fairly low price nowadays. Speed-wise the 3rd gen is much closer to the 4th generation than it is to the first gen. You'll miss the beautiful screen though.