Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brent

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2002
It seems to me that there are two camps in this debate:
The first - those who are in the notebook market, desperately hoping for significant updates.
The second - those who own a notebook and would get miffed at any significant upgrades.

Even though I'm in the first group, I'm trying to be as impartial as ever here. I think it is completely feasible for Apple to release a 1 ghz TiBook from a technical standpoint. BUT they don't want to alienate current Apple customers who already own a notebook. If they start pumping out updates only a couple of months apart, current owners will feel slighted and not want to buy from them in the future, especially if they have just dropped a large chunk of change on the latest, greatest machine. Therefore, no 1 ghz :(.

With that said, here are my (optimistic, first camp) predictions: 1) Dropping the 800mhz to replace the 667 mhz, 2) adding the 933 mhz G4 to supplant the 800 at the top of the line, 3) bluetooth (yawn), and 4) a 64 meg graphics card.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Brent

With that said, here are my (optimistic, first camp) predictions: 1) Dropping the 800mhz to replace the 667 mhz, 2) adding the 933 mhz G4 to supplant the 800 at the top of the line, 3) bluetooth (yawn), and 4) a 64 meg graphics card.

a 64 meg graphics card would be awesome and keep it neck and neck with the high end pc laptops on the market

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jefhatfield

a 64 meg graphics card would be awesome and keep it neck and neck with the high end pc laptops on the market
Which it needs to be! TiBooks are very expensive laptops and for the money you should be able to keep up with the wintel laptops, most of which are a fare bit cheaper than the Ti.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
and dell has a 2 ghz p4/1 gig ddr ram/60 gig hard drive/combo drive/64 meg graphics card by nvidia for five thousand dollars (with 3 yr. protection)

those are impressive specs indeed and i hope ti gets the ddr ram, too

i will go to apple and build a similar machine...except for same speed and same ram and graphics card...and see how much it costs

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
here's my results

800 mhz tibook, 1 gig ram, 60 gig hard drive, 32 meg graphics card (with ddr ram), combo drive, and three year protection plan

the dell has the faster processor at 2 ghz, and the 266 ddr standard 1 gig of ram, which are the advantages it has over tibook

but the tibook loaded with these features comes out to $4150 usd which is an over $800 dollar advantage

but give the tibook 1 gig ddr ram and a major speed boost...enough to match the 2 ghz pentium 4, and then the tibook will also be five thousand dollars

then it comes down to;

who has the better hardware
and who had the better software

the dell has a plastic case and the ti has a 100% titatnium exterior...ti is more durable

the dell has xp pro and the ti has os x...no contest in my book

right now, the dell has the killer specs, but i would still opt for the current 800 mhz tibook for reasons of software, hardware, and price ($4150 vs $5000+ dollars)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well in that case I stand corrected.
I guess the TiBooks are along the right price line with high-end wintel notebooks.
All they need now is that key 1Ghz CPU and DDR.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by verbose101
Well in that case I stand corrected.
I guess the TiBooks are along the right price line with high-end wintel notebooks.
All they need now is that key 1Ghz CPU and DDR.

i see the 1 ghz cpu and the ddr standard ram coming for ti, but will that happen by mwsf 2003?

and will tibook maxed out at those specs stay in the 3499-3799 price tag?

if all those criteria are met, then i don't think anybody will challenge the tibook's superiority

only the ignorant will only use processor clock speed as the only criteria for buying an almost four thousand dollar laptop

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
GHz TiBook

Well considering that Intel now has 2GHz P4-M's, it woule be nice to see a 1GHz Ti. Though it's a bit unrealistic, I'd also love to see DDR and 64MB Graphics.

Bill

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: GHz TiBook

Originally posted by billiam0878
Well considering that Intel now has 2GHz P4-M's, it woule be nice to see a 1GHz Ti. Though it's a bit unrealistic, I'd also love to see DDR and 64MB Graphics.

Bill
I know this is getting old and has been said in many other threads before...but...I really do hope that apple pull somthing special out of the bag and give us what we want, 1Ghz, DDR TiBooks & 1.4Ghz, DDR PowerMacs...is that too much to ask for?

wHo_tHe

macrumors regular
Durability!

I love the TiBook form factor, but I'd like to see Apple improve its durability and rigidity, much as they did with the G3 PowerBook. And, like the G3, it'd be nice if they did it while cutting the weight too. Nothing like competing engineering specifications to challenge the hardware team. :)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
you want more durability in the TiBook? what do you plan to use it for? what's wrong with the way it is now? why should Apple be spending money on durability when they could be getting the 1GHz TiBook finished?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by britboy

We're probably not going to see any manufacturer (read: moto, intel or amd) with a mobile processor running at, or near to, the desktop model.

winbook has desktop pentium 4s in laptops due to the fact that p4s with .13 micron processing is cool enough to run in laptops (usually plugged in)

when moto gets down thru the .13 and .11 micron process, then apple will be able to easily put a full speed processor in a laptop because the voltage, heat and battery issues will be solved

it won't hurt the desktop market if a laptop is just as fast since the desktop has the full expandability features a laptop can never provide

it would be nice to see a 1ghz laptop from apple but the 1 ghz mark was achieved in the g4 desktop without a lot of fanfare

at this point, features are key more than raw processor speed

could you imagine when moto hits 2 ghz when intel will be at 3 ghz? really...who will care about raw processor speed then...the superiority of os x and the ease of use of macs and stable hardware will be the key

...and thus apple can get back beyond five percent of the market share and (it will take that to help the share price)

apple cannot exist forever only making us 4.5 percent of the market, the mac faithful, happy...even though we will always be apple's core business

new users are apple's immediate future....thus the "switch" ads on tv and print

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
People really piss me off when they try to explain how Apple shouldn't upgrade their products just so they will feel better with their recent spending sprees...

Go suck a monkey's A$$ people!!!

You're saying that Apple should get FURTHER behind in the market than it already is JUST so you can feel good!!!

I think Apple is figuring out that they HAVE to upgrade products more than every 6 - 9 months as other companies do! That's why we've been getting "non event" upgrades recently.

Check out how often DELL upgrades their products.. every damn time I look over there, they've got the VERY latest P4 chips that are just announced that week on the website available for orders!

I HATE DELLS and MS but come on! We can't afford to have updates so spread apart anymore... we've got 2.4% market share!?! because we "seem" so behind! we don't even have DDR yet! and like it's been said.. 32MB graphics cards!!! in our TOP END laptops! That sucks!!!!!

I can't wait to get a new Powermac.. but I certainly hope it has DDR and at least 1.2ghz dual cpus. AND i hope it's not the last update of the year or that is VERY sad!

You have to realize that buyinga computer is buying OLD technology that has been out for years already!

THE LONGER YOU WAIT, THE CHEAPER AND BETTER THEY GET.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.