Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following two months of beta testing, AgileBits has announced that 1Password 7 for Mac will be released for all users at some point on Tuesday.

1password-7-macbook-pro-800x463.jpg

The latest version of the popular password manager is a major update with dozens of new features and improvements, including a new dark-themed, collapsible sidebar that makes it easier to use and manage password vaults.

Users can now access their vaults by clicking on "All Vaults" in the sidebar, with full drag-and-drop support to conveniently move or copy items from one vault to another, including between different accounts. Users can also drag items onto the "New Vault" menu item and one will be created automatically.

1password-7-vaults-800x541.jpg

1Password 7 for Mac integrates with Have I Been Pwned? to securely check a user's passwords against a database of passwords that have been compromised in known data breaches, such as when a popular service or website is hacked.

The app's security-focused Watchtower feature can also identify any login items that support two-factor authentication and help users enable it on those websites. Watchtower can now also keep track of expiring items so users know in advance if they need to renew their credit cards, passports, licenses, and more.

1Password now helps users sign in to their favorite apps by showing them suggested logins for the app they are currently using. If a user is signing into the App Store, for example, they can click the 1Password icon in the menu bar to see their Apple ID and simply drag and drop their username and password to log in.

agilebits-sidebar-2-800x541.jpg

The app's redesign extends to the lock screen, login icons, tags, pop-out windows for items, and more, while there is a new custom font Courier Prime Bits, by Alan Dague-Greene, that makes it easier to view passwords.

A quick list of other changes from AgileBits:Every pixel has been put under the microscope and polished for maximum upgradedness.
The new "pop-out" feature allows you to view an item in a window of its own and keep it handy.
Secure notes are now rendered using Markdown.
Quick Open allows you to quickly jump to your items or vaults (find it under the File menu).
A custom password font, all our own, courtesy of Alan Dague-Greene.
A new password strength meter.
Touch ID now leverages your computer's Secure Enclave, making it more secure than ever before.
Login items now have a gorgeous, custom rendered icon by default.
Remove duplicate items on a per-vault basis by clicking Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.
Integration with Spotlight allows you to find your items using Apple's built-in search engine.
Nested tags allow you to up your organization: add tags with / in them and 1Password will break
them down into groups.
Opt in to automatic updates and never be left behind again.1Password is a popular tool for storing usernames, passwords, credit cards, addresses, notes, bank accounts, driver's licenses, passports, and more behind one master password, with end-to-end encryption. A built-in password generator lets users create strong, unique passwords and memorizable pass-phrases.

1Password 7 for Mac is the first paid upgrade to the desktop version of the app in five years, meaning that users of previous versions will need to purchase a new license, or have a subscription, to use the new version.

1password-7-both-800x500.jpg

Users with an active 1Password subscription, which start at $2.99 per month for individuals, can simply install 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store or AgileBits website and be ready to go. Otherwise, after installing the latest version, there is a prompt to sign up for a 1Password membership.

For those who wish to purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac, instead of a subscription, the app must be downloaded directly from the AgileBits website. Licenses are $49.99 for a limited time, and $64.99 after that, and are per-person, per-platform. macOS Sierra or later is required.

The version of 1Password 7 rolling out on the Mac App Store later on Tuesday is a new, separate app listing from 1Password 6, which has been removed from the Mac App Store, and will only be available for users via subscription.

Article Link: 1Password 7 for Mac Launching Today With Redesigned Sidebar, Easier Access to Vaults, and Much More

I've been buying and loving 1password on Mac and iOS since 2009 (or maybe 2010). However, I'm afraid I might pass... Nothing against 1Password, but I've been using Apple's iCloud keychain in parallel in a while now and it's reached the point where it meets my needs a thus is difficult to justify continuing down the 1password path. Especially as I primarily use iOS and with the iOS limitations the iCloud keychain integration is much better...

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I do not see any version of 1 Password on the Mac App Store right now. I searched for it, looked for it under utilities, and nothing. I do not know what is going on, but nothing is on the MAS right now.

Also, I paid for my copy of 1 Password on the MAS...so does this mean I will not have to pay for this upgrade or I will? Thanks a lot!

:apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: biggest father1

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I've been buying and loving 1password on Mac and iOS since 2009 (or maybe 2010). However, I'm afraid I might pass... Nothing against 1Password, but I've been using Apple's iCloud keychain in parallel in a while now and it's reached the point where it meets my needs a thus is difficult to justify continuing down the 1password path. Especially as I primarily use iOS and with the iOS limitations the iCloud keychain integration is much better...

I feel the same. Love 1password, but it’s starting to feel redundant. Also, what’s really new here? I haven’t tried it, but the article’s new feature list was pretty long on new GUI/design features and short on feature features. An updated UI isn’t going to get me to upgrade.

I think they should bring the 1password GUI to iCloud Keychain. That would be worth an upgrade! Keychain Access is pretty barebones. I’d much rather interact with my iCloud Keychain via 1password.

Denpech

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
Russia, Saint Petersburg
Those subscription prices are pretty eye-watering. $2.99 for an individual plan, $36/year. $4.99 USD for a family plan, $60/year.
[doublepost=1526965070][/doublepost]

You can buy a $49.99 license in-app right now.
Where???, I see only one-year subscription with monthly payment, $2.99 for an individual plan, $36/year. $4.99 USD for a family plan, $60/year.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I have a license for v6, but I dont use it enough anymore to pay again. When I bought it Safari and Chrome weren't very good at syncing passwords between computers, now I barely even bother to unlock 1Password anymore

Reactions: Tim E

repomonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2009
Been using this product for many many years, but this is one subscription based product too many, I'm done with them. I want to own the software outright and if I can't then I will look elsewhere. It's a shame, but I won't be updating - particularly since there are some excellent alternatives such as Dashlane. So long and thanks for all the fish.

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
Hope it will auto fill my email. 6 versions and I have to type in my email every time I create a new login item.

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
From the way I understood it, the title of the article implies that it’s releasing today, not that it’s already out.

Following two months of beta testing, AgileBits has announced that 1Password 7 for Mac is being released for all users today.
1Password 7 from the Mac App Store will be subscription-only and those who wants to stray away from subscription will have to download 1Password 7 from their website (when it’s out presumably in the hours to come) and buy the license directly from them.

Relax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.