Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1password-250x250.jpg
Apple revealed during its WWDC keynote yesterday that among other features, iOS 12 will include a new Password Manager API that will be able to hook into third-party password manager apps installed on devices and offer up their stored passwords as suggestions to the user when they're prompted for login information.

Today, the makers of popular password manager service 1Password confirmed that it is already working on integrating its app with Apple's new API, and even offered its Twitter followers a teaser video of 1Password AutoFill in action.

The short clip shows a screen recording of a login prompt from the Apple ID website in Safari browser. As the user taps on the password field, the keyboard pops up and the password stored in 1Password appears in the QuickType suggestion bar, ready to select.

What a wonderful present for us at WWDC this year! Thank you to all our friends at Apple for this great new API. #1PasswordAutofill pic.twitter.com/jpvRVogslS - 1Password (@1Password) June 5, 2018

It's unclear at this time how soon 1Password will support the API integration after iOS 12 is publicly released in the fall, but users can rest assured the developers at AgileBits are "very excited about it" and will be "playing around with it very soon". Those looking to get a look in sooner can join the 1Password for iOS beta test program by following the steps outlined here.

In other security-related news, iOS 12 will also offer password suggestions within third-party apps, and will also keep track of passwords that have been reused, prompting users to create new ones.

In another welcome iOS 12 feature, one-time passcodes delivered via SMS text message will automatically appear as AutoFill suggestions on login screens, so users no longer have to concern themselves with reading the message, memorizing the code, and returning to the login screen to input them.

Article Link: 1Password Developers Tease Support for iOS 12 Password Manager API

Agneev

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
1 Infinite ∞
Yay! I still think iCloud Keychain is more powerful and it's free. I don't think 1Password will integrate with App Passwords, and of course iCloud Keychain takes care of that.
TBH, a subscription to 1Password is almost twice more costly than what I pay for Apple Music.

Reactions: sos47 and B60boy

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
@Kabeyun I currently use one 1Password 6 (syncing with Dropbox) without a subscription – one can also update to the new version 7 of 1Password for a one time cost. I don't understand why almost everyone seem to think a subscription is required to use 1Password?

medee88

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Yay! I still think iCloud Keychain is more powerful and it's free. I don't think 1Password will integrate with App Passwords, and of course iCloud Keychain takes care of that.
TBH, a subscription to 1Password is almost twice more costly than what I pay for Apple Music.

I agree with you on the free part, but 1password is definitely more powerful. Password generations, password security alerts for sites that have been compromised, cross-platform support, ability to store multiple kinds of data (like server passwords, etc) and a better search interface to name a few.

I felt the same way about iCloud keychain until it messed up, and realized really no one at Apple knows what to do when something goes wrong except signing out of iCloud and signing back in. After I lost many passwords through that fisaco, I realized something like 1Password was definitely worth it for me.

Zoddino

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010

It's written in the iOS 12 page, it's for both site and apps autofilling, just like Android Oreo and the newly coming P release. So good!

Reactions: haruhiko

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I agree with you on the free part, but 1password is definitely more powerful. Password generations, password security alerts for sites that have been compromised, cross-platform support, ability to store multiple kinds of data (like server passwords, etc) and a better search interface to name a few.

I felt the same way about iCloud keychain until it messed up, and realized really no one at Apple knows what to do when something goes wrong except signing out of iCloud and signing back in. After I lost many passwords through that fisaco, I realized something like 1Password was definitely worth it for me.
With all kinds of security systems there are two quite distinct risks:
1) Somebody else getting access to your data
2) You getting locked out from your own data

I have been using 1Password for several years now, but not necessarily as my primary repository but as a backup to mitigate against risk (2). Meaning I still let (iCloud) Keychain fill in all passwords on webpages (and with other things like Wifi passwords) but I also add every new password also to 1Password (which is pretty easy via 1Password Mini). iCloud Keychain has gotten better but there are still things like manually looking up a WiFi password on an iOS device that to my knowledge still isn't possible.

I almost cannot believe how long it took Apple to offer things like warn about re-used passwords. But Apple's tardiness was of course 1Password's opportunity. With iOS 12, Apple takes one advantage from 1Password away (re-used password warnings) but also one disadvantage (automatic fill-in gets much better). I still have a lot of old passwords that I have not yet added to 1Password, it's a one-by-one process, and there are still a lot of re-used passwords in there I suspect.

Reactions: haruhiko

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
@Kabeyun I currently use one 1Password 6 (syncing with Dropbox) without a subscription – one can also update to the new version 7 of 1Password for a one time cost. I don't understand why almost everyone seem to think a subscription is required to use 1Password?

That upgrade is a buried download on their website and is $49 to get it. The App Store version is subscription only. It’s also unclear that you won’t have to repurchase again when ver 8 comes out

Reactions: turbineseaplane

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
That upgrade is a buried download on their website and is $49 to get it. The App Store version is subscription only. It’s also unclear that you won’t have to repurchase again when ver 8 comes out
The last paid upgrade was several years ago.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
If they already have a teaser video out showing this in action, I wonder if Apple worked with AgileBits during the development phase?

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
As others have said, integration with third party apps and 1Password, will be the selling point for me.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
How will this API incorporate one time passwords managed by 1 password?
I’d bet 1Password provides the API with a list of stored websites. When there is a match the keyboard shows usernames for that site in the keyboard. When you tap one it authenticates Face ID, which decrypts the vault like usual, and grabs the requested password.

I am REALLY looking forward to this. The current way of doing things with share sheets always seemed so clunky.

Reactions: riverfreak

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Everybody knows that there is a tendency to bury the non-subscription options. Which also means that everybody should know that one shouldn't take the first impression at face value. That's all I'm asking. And every comment thread about such situations very quickly will bring out the correct answer. Thus just refrain from accusatory posts until you have done at least some due diligence.

Agneev

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
1 Infinite ∞
You pay $1.50/month for Apple Music?
Yeah, almost. It's cheap as hell where I live.
[doublepost=1528202505][/doublepost]

Personally, I like to remember every password I create on a website. I don't rely on a password manager (be it iCloud Keychain or 1Password) to remember my passwords, it's just easy to fill in, and that's one of the reasons it.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Personally, I like to remember every password I create on a website. I don't rely on a password manager (be it iCloud Keychain or 1Password) to remember my passwords, it's just easy to fill in, and that's one of the reasons it.
That almost certainly means that you either have an outstanding memory or you are re-using passwords.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Everybody knows that there is a tendency to bury the non-subscription options. Which also means that everybody should know that one shouldn't take the first impression at face value. That's all I'm asking. And every comment thread about such situations very quickjavascript:void(null);ly will bring out the correct answer. Thus just refrain from accusatory posts until you have done at least some due diligence.
Does everybody know that? Obviously not. I'm just saying, to me it's not surprising in the least "why almost everyone seem to think a subscription is required to use 1Password." Because, that's exactly the impression you come away with when you look at the info on AgileBits' website. But that's fine, I've heard them explain their reasoning behind that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
More powerful? Not even close. At all. Sorry, that’s not even an opinion, that is fact. I can easily share vaults with family members, save so much more in 1Password also (software licenses, network set ups and not just the password, and more). iCloud Keychain also is 100% useless on Windows, Linux, and android... so right there it’s not even powerful at all. And price? You pay $1.50 a month for Apple Music?

I wonder if they’ll charge a subscription fee to use it. That would be very AgileBits.
Really? AgileBits has added a lot since they launch the subscription model and has not raised the price at all. You have travel mode they added, connected it to haveibeenpawned, and more.
Where do you live where it’s “cheap as hell?”

No way you can remember every password unless they are very easy ones or you’re reusing them. As of now, I have 200 logins and no way I can remeber them all. Even if I reused passwords, I couldn’t remeber what password went to what account. If you’re going to issue iCloud Keychain, at least use it for what it was made for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.