Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In November, AgileBits announced 1Password for Teams, giving 1Password users a way to share passwords with friends, family, and coworkers. As of today, 1Password for Teams is expanding to 1Password for Families, introducing a special pricing plan designed to give all members of a family access to secure password options at an affordable price.

1passforfamilies.jpg

For $5 per month, a family of up to five people can have full access to the 1Password software, allowing them to keep individual secure vaults to store their private passwords and share household passwords using a family vault. 1Password for Families is available on all platforms, including Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.
It's never been easier to share 1Password with your whole family. There's no sync service to set up, vaults appear automatically, and there's an Admin Console where you can invite people and manage sharing with your family.

Every family member gets their own copy of 1Password, and their own personal space to store private information. With this, you can give them the tools they need to stay safe without taking away their independence.
Early adopters who subscribe to 1Password for Families before March 21 will receive a $10 credit equivalent to two months of free access, double the amount of secure storage for documents (2GB), and the ability to invite two extra family members for a total of 7 users per family account.

Customers interested in signing up for a 1Password for Families subscription plan can do so on the 1Password website.

Article Link: '1Password for Families' Gives Up to 5 Users 1Password Access for $5 Per Month

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
While I love and use 1P this doesn't make much sense to me, a father of 3. It's $60/year. For the long term I'd still be better served by each member having their own vault and app.
...and you can send passwords directly from the App, to family members.

I picked up a copy for the wife when it was on sale. If anything needs changing i just grab her phone and edit it when I edit mine. Sure syncing stuff would be nice, but not at that price.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
While I love and use 1P this doesn't make much sense to me, a father of 3. It's $60/year. For the long term I'd still be better served by each member having their own vault and app.

This is the dilemma I'm looking at as well. $60 a year in the grand scheme of things isn't really much, but it's way more than the $0 I'm paying right now (app costs are already sunk at this point).

Just trying to figure out if the yearly cost would be worth it to keep joint logins in sync between the two of us without having to send updated info to her and have her add it into her vault.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The App Store lets everyone in your family share the same paid apps. Why would I buy this aside from sharing some "family" passwords? I can't imagine family passwords would change very often, or that there would be very many of them. We have a garage door code, a router password…I mean what else do kids need? If my kid were old enough I probably wouldn't even give the router password and enter it myself so I can control it. It would be nice to share more passwords with my wife, but she usually just lets me manage most of our shared online things anyway, like financial accounts, bill payments for utilities and internet, etc. We each separately manage our own online presence, email, etc. It's not like it's difficult to update a few shared passwords.

What it comes down to is AgileBits is just trying to get around the fact that families already can share these apps, per Apple's terms of use. This might be useful for families who share everything and need to keep a ton of stuff in sync, but I doubt most users would find it worth the extra cost.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The App Store lets everyone in your family share the same paid apps. Why would I buy this aside from sharing some "family" passwords?
Right, it's not that big of a deal to setup a handful of "family" passwords a typical family shares.

But I strongly suspect 1Password for Family ($5/month for up to 5 members of the family) and Team ($4.99/month per user) are precursors to Agilebits moving toward a subscription model. I bet we will see $3/month individual plan by end of this year.

For now, it costs $49.99 for Mac or Windows client (although the app is occasionally on sale for $24.99) and $9.99 for iOS "Pro" In-App-Purchase (for features such as multiple values, OTP, Apple watch, additional categories).

I think it's unfortunate that existing customers get only a meager one-time discount of $10 to move to Family subscription. It should be free for 1-year for users that have both Mac/Windows and mobile clients.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Nope

If 1Password goes to a subscription model (this seems to be them testing the waters), I will simply never upgrade.

Everybody wants some of that sweet, subscription revenue. Most things don't deserve it - not that they're bad products, but that they don't warrant continuous payment and a 'rental' model for software. I think AgileBits are getting greedy.

I sync with Dropbox. I could create a shared Dropbox account and sync with that to create a family-wide vault.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Nope

If 1Password goes to a subscription model (this seems to be them testing the waters), I will simply never upgrade.

Everybody wants some of that sweet, subscription revenue. Most things don't deserve it - not that they're bad products, but that they don't warrant continuous payment and a 'rental' model for software. I think AgileBits are getting greedy.
I both agree and disagree.

Negative connotation surrounding subscription-based pricing aside, most of us are better off with subscription pricing for apps if it is used frequently with compelling features AND if it is provided fairly.

For me personally, 1Password isn't updated with enough compelling features to justify $60/year for family of 5.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
Still too expensive. I have been using LastPass for $12 a year for ages. And these $12 cover all my devices. I cannot fantom why would I want to switch to 1Password that offers the same functionality at 3 times the price.

rick987611

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I already have a family plan for no charge. Keep our file on Dropbox and share it. Everyone always has updated passwords. Been doing it like this for years. I don't really get the point of this. Am I missing something?

bwanapatto

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
The App Store lets everyone in your family share the same paid apps. Why would I buy this aside from sharing some "family" passwords?

What it comes down to is AgileBits is just trying to get around the fact that families already can share these apps, per Apple's terms of use.

In-app purchases can't be shared between family members. I'm not sure how the Mac App Store version works, but the iOS full version of 1password requires an in-app purchase and therefore isn't shareable.

A neat trick though is that the free iOS version will still display 'pro' fields created in the full Mac App Store version. There's still some limitation with the UI but it's passable.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
1password is excellent.

A subscription model would reverse my opinion on 1password.

I imagine agilesoftware are feeling the effects of the no upgrade price policy of the AppStore..

I'm not paying a subscription fee of say $60 to store my passwords, secure notes, software license numbers on some
Remote server.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
1password is excellent.
I'm not paying a subscription fee of say $60 to store my passwords, secure notes, software license numbers on some Remote server.

I have issues with the subscription pricing, but more importantly, I've been 'bitten' when remote services that are subscription-only have outages / issues and I can't access the service/product. Couple this with the mission-critical status of passwords and "Bad Things" (tm) can happen.

I've been a user and evangelist for 1Password since v3, sold all my extended family on it (with them buying their own licenses) but I don't want to loose sleep over their licensing server (not even the stored password server) going down and not being able to access my passwords.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Right, it's not that big of a deal to setup a handful of "family" passwords a typical family shares.

But I strongly suspect 1Password for Family ($5/month for up to 5 members of the family) and Team ($4.99/month per user) are precursors to Agilebits moving toward a subscription model. I bet we will see $3/month individual plan by end of this year.

For now, it costs $49.99 for Mac or Windows client (although the app is occasionally on sale for $24.99) and $9.99 for iOS "Pro" In-App-Purchase (for features such as multiple values, OTP, Apple watch, additional categories).

I think it's unfortunate that existing customers get only a meager one-time discount of $10 to move to Family subscription. It should be free for 1-year for users that have both Mac/Windows and mobile clients.

I agree. It will open some space for other players. In the long run password managers are doomed as we start moving to finger and face readers everywhere.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I both agree and disagree.

Negative connotation surrounding subscription-based pricing aside, most of us are better off with subscription pricing for apps if it is used frequently with compelling features AND if it is provided fairly.

For me personally, 1Password isn't updated with enough compelling features to justify $60/year for family of 5.

I agree. However, these guys are constantly working to improve their product, and I paid for it once. I get free upgrades through Apple on every Mac I own (4) and both of my iOS devices. Plus, I can give it to each of my family members (that's two more Macs, and 4 more iOS devices). I'm sure they're starting to struggle with the burden of supporting users who will never pay them again.

brenty

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016

Indeed, if you'd rather save a little bit of money over time, you can still always to purchase the standalone apps and manage syncing and sharing yourself.

With 1Password for Families, your encrypted data is stored on the server and available on all of your devices automatically, and server infrastructure isn't free. 1Password for Families makes it easier to share information between family members and devices, but if you'd prefer to do it yourself that's still an option. 1Password is great already, but with Families we've been able to make it even better in ways that aren't possible with a standalone app. :)

[doublepost=1455692067][/doublepost]
...and you can send passwords directly from the App, to family members.

I picked up a copy for the wife when it was on sale. If anything needs changing i just grab her phone and edit it when I edit mine. Sure syncing stuff would be nice, but not at that price.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference. I used to build all of my computers (and those of friends) too. You can save some money that way, and there's a lot to be said for customization. If you're happy managing sharing, syncing, and setup for each family member's devices, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with that setup. But personally, I find it to be a huge time saver, and a better overall experience to simply login with a 1Password for Families account and be done. :)

- brenty

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Indeed, if you'd rather save a little bit of money over time, you can still always to purchase the standalone apps and manage syncing and sharing yourself.

With 1Password for Families, your encrypted data is stored on the server and available on all of your devices automatically, and server infrastructure isn't free. 1Password for Families makes it easier to share information between family members and devices, but if you'd prefer to do it yourself that's still an option. 1Password is great already, but with Families we've been able to make it even better in ways that aren't possible with a standalone app. :)

[doublepost=1455692067][/doublepost]

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference. I used to build all of my computers (and those of friends) too. You can save some money that way, and there's a lot to be said for customization. If you're happy managing sharing, syncing, and setup for each family member's devices, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with that setup. But personally, I find it to be a huge time saver, and a better overall experience to simply login with a 1Password for Families account and be done. :)

- brenty

Unfortunately you are not just saving little bit of money, you're saving a lot of money by buying and not subscribing. Seriously, your subscription pricing is just too high for it to make sense. You're almost on par with MS Offfice and there is whole lot more services and software with Office 365.

Last edited by a moderator:

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I'm sure they're starting to struggle with the burden of supporting users who will never pay them again.

Every year that passes they get a new swathe of users.

The $5 a month is too high for what you get, as much as I love 1Password, the feature set does not change frequently enough. Perhaps getting greedy or too many staff to pay now. I pay twice that for Netflix but get so much more benefit. Over the years I have paid a lot less than $60 a year also to 1Password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.