Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I switched to Keeper a year ago and it works great on iOS and MacOS. It's much easier use in my opinion and the pricing structure is cheaper with a annual flat fee for unlimited service.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I bought the non-subscription versions for MacOS and iOS. A couple of weeks ago I added a scan of my passport* to the Passports section of 1Password in MacOS. After updating the iOS version today, I am happy to say that it can now also see the scan in my Passport record.

*having wasted an hour trying to hire a car in Europe without my passport to hand.

Reactions: Lioness~

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Ah, I didn’t realize that. I actually don’t want them hosting anything for me. I’m looking to switch from LastPass and want to just have a local solution on Mac/iPhone. So in that case I’d just buy the Mac app and the iPhone part would work without subscribing? Maybe I’ll give it a try then!

I don't know if the free version of 1Password for iPhone is enough to sync; there's an in-app purchase to a pro version. You'll have to check.

However, I know for a fact I don't subscribe to their services; I only have the pay-up-front versions. And it works fine and syncs across Mac, iPhone, Windows.
[doublepost=1532118183][/doublepost]
Some of them are valid such as Office 365 which offer me cloud storage but some of them were just bizarre due to fact that they had no rapid software updates or any online component that could have justified subscription model.

Given the nature of 1Password, security updates are quite relevant.

In today's Internet age, not maintaining a piece of software isn't feasible for almost all categories, and maintenance costs money. I understand the frustration, but it's not like people want to go offline…

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
I understand they can't make software and sell it 1 time and get infinite updates for 20 years. But here are some problems with the subscription model:

1. If I fail to pay, for whatever reason, the software stops working. Making you always in the risk of losing the service, on the opposite of purchasing the software. Even if its the older version, it works none the less.
  2. Subscription requires an internet connection-AFAIK-no internet no work.
  3. I believe 1password subscription model stores your passwords in the cloud. Life taught me not to store anything sensitive in the cloud. Its just a matter of time. Its always safer to store locally.
  4. Subscription adds up. Netflix, Apple Music, Office 365, Adobe Cloud, 1Password, PSN, Cable TV, Dropbox, iCloud, Amazon Prime, Gmail Pro. It gets tiring. People want to pay one time and feel safe they got what they want, not worrying having to pay for it next month like rent.

I totally agree with some of your sentiments, such as Adobe Cloud or Office where I do not need a cloud based service and simply need to work locally, and if needed can sync files with any of the other cloud based services I use. But something such as as password manager, with its watchtower tools and security updates I would much rather pay.

But 1Password do offer users to buy the app and Sync it how they choose, if they wish to rather than paying for one of their subscriptions.

Some services do work without internet connection, albeit not completely, such as offline sync, downloading songs to any of your devices, downloading files. But yes, this would not work an initial internet connection, but similarly, some of these services, even as single-purchases would not work without an internet connection. Take music for example. Instead of using Apple Music or Spotify, you could buy Songs/Albums, but that would require either copying of a CD, or downloading the purchase (again requiring internet though).

Subscriptions add up, but so do individual purchases every year or two years. The biggest difference is how often you would end up upgrading if you bought it outright rather than using the subscription. 1Password, if you use the subscription, you always have the latest update available to you, including major upgrades. With 1Password major upgrades, I believe the user has to buy if they are not on a subscription model and wish to have the latest, but they don't release major paid versions every year, rather several years I believe. BUT if it were Adobe Suite, they were yearly updates if I'm remember correctly, and quite pricey ones too.

Ultimately, I guess there are usually options for either subscription or not. If you don't want Netflix, you can buy movies and shows, and own them. If you don't want Apple Music or Spotify, you can buy Songs and Albums. If you don't want Office 365, well there's Google docs and Apple Pages... both of which are free. Pixelmator, Sketch, Invision App instead of Adobe CC.

But it seems, having a subscription model is becoming the norm, especially if it's some sort of a cloud service.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

brian_ag

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Hey there, everyone! Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. I'm Brian — one of the folks on the support team over at AgileBits. Hopefully, I can help with some of your questions. :)

I'm most looking forward to seeing 1Password integrate with iOS like it does on OSX so I don't have to switch to the app every time I want a password, which I understand is something that's going to be supported at some point in iOS12.

I know the guys from AgileBits tend to keep an eye on these forums, so it would be interesting to hear if there's an update on this?

It's an excellent addition, isn't it? ;) I don't have an update to provide on it right now, but keep an eye out on our blog for future changes. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but rest assured that our devs are hard at work!

I know, I’ve been using 1Password for years. However, their standalone pricing has skyrocketed over the years. It seems they would very much prefer that everyone bought in on their subscription model. Unfortunately I see no added value in 1Password subscription. I definitely don’t want to share any of my passwords and I don’t use Windows anywhere. Therefore, subscription is zero value to me but still I should pay for upgrade what is essentially an update. Seriously, what is updated in standalone version of 1Password? As far as I know it’s only GUI tweaks. Even more so, there is no upgrade pricing for 1Password 7. As far as I know I should pay close to $65 for this update. That said, I’m looking for a 1Password alternative. I feel like Agile software is screwing the users who have no need for subscription.

We do encourage users to sign up for 1Password.com accounts, given that they have the simplest setup and include the most features, but we still understand that they're not for everyone. We took this feedback from our users, which is why we still offer the standalone licenses.

Instead of having a discount specifically for previous license holders, we decided to do a global discount for any user that wanted to purchase a license for 1Password 7. This way, everyone wins! The current price for a license is $49.99, but the normal price is $64.99. You can find a list of all of the improvements in 1Password 7 on our knowledge base: https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-mac/ — There were many design changes, but there were also multiple feature enhancements and additions. :)

Even though we encourage users to use an account, I'm deeply sorry if you feel that we've been neglecting you and other standalone users. Every single customer helped us to build 1Password into the service that it is today, and the team is proud to support all of our users, subscription and standalone. Would you be able to shoot us a quick email so we can get you the support that you deserve? We'd hate to see you go!

This looks like a good update.

Does anyone know if this update includes the ability to have attached documents backed up with the standard full backup that can be exported?

Great question! Exporting documents is not currently supported in 1Password — I apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. I'll pass this along to the development team as feedback so they can consider adding it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hey there, everyone! Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. I'm Brian — one of the folks on the support team over at AgileBits. Hopefully, I can help with some of your questions. :)

It's an excellent addition, isn't it? ;) I don't have an update to provide on it right now, but keep an eye out on our blog for future changes. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but rest assured that our devs are hard at work!

We do encourage users to sign up for 1Password.com accounts, given that they have the simplest setup and include the most features, but we still understand that they're not for everyone. We took this feedback from our users, which is why we still offer the standalone licenses.

Instead of having a discount specifically for previous license holders, we decided to do a global discount for any user that wanted to purchase a license for 1Password 7. This way, everyone wins! The current price for a license is $49.99, but the normal price is $64.99. You can find a list of all of the improvements in 1Password 7 on our knowledge base: https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-mac/ — There were many design changes, but there were also multiple feature enhancements and additions. :)

Even though we encourage users to use an account, I'm deeply sorry if you feel that we've been neglecting you and other standalone users. Every single customer helped us to build 1Password into the service that it is today, and the team is proud to support all of our users, subscription and standalone. Would you be able to shoot us a quick email so we can get you the support that you deserve? We'd hate to see you go!

Great question! Exporting documents is not currently supported in 1Password — I apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. I'll pass this along to the development team as feedback so they can consider adding it.
I was told by a 1Password staffer, that it would probably be in this build. I hope it is added very soon.

Thanks for the reply.

Proven-PPC-Mgr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I'm most looking forward to seeing 1Password integrate with iOS like it does on OSX so I don't have to switch to the app every time I want a password, which I understand is something that's going to be supported at some point in iOS12.

I know the guys from AgileBits tend to keep an eye on these forums, so it would be interesting to hear if there's an update on this?
[doublepost=1532128023][/doublepost]

It’s already integrated into the Share sheet.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Here's an alternative: https://www.enpass.io
[doublepost=1532107022][/doublepost]

At least give Enpass a try before paying for 1P https://www.enpass.io.
I was a 1P user not long ago, but due to their push towards subscription and the ridiculously expensive single license I ended up with Enpass on everything. Don't regret it. The UI may not be as finely polished as 1P, but it does its job.

I was looking for alternatives a while back and cant believe I didnt come across enpass. I'm trying it now and it seems like a great alternative to 1PW on mac/ios, not to mention they have a native linux app. I'm going to try use it for a few weeks before deciding which to keep long term. Thanks for the heads up!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
1. You still have access to your passwords if you stop paying. You can even export them. It just won’t add new data or auto fill for you.

2. You only need internet to sync, just like if you use Dropbox to sync. If you need a password on you phone, and no internet, everything will be there.

So, if I don't pay up for the subscription the app will continue to work, I will just not be able to edit the data?
and if there is no internet connection it will continue to work?
[doublepost=1532187433][/doublepost]
The idea of comparing a dev shop in the 90's to a dev shop today is so.. insane...

the cost is ASTRONOMICALLY higher today.. it's not even in the same universe.

Based on what I can gather I bet their cost of doing business is 20m+/year.

true, but you have to put in the advantages too. Back then you had to sell retail, now you sell direct and online. Back then no one used his Credit Cards online, now you have 100+m Netflix subscribers, 60M Amazon Prime subscribers, everyone is online and spending now. The user base is astronomically much larger of computer,internet, and apps today than it was in 1995.

I just guessed they have 1m users, maybe they have 30M and and at $36 a year thats a billion dollars a year. Any way, they still have the stand alone app option which for me is fair enough for everyone. The choice is for the user.

I totally agree with some of your sentiments, such as Adobe Cloud or Office where I do not need a cloud based service and simply need to work locally, and if needed can sync files with any of the other cloud based services I use. But something such as as password manager, with its watchtower tools and security updates I would much rather pay.

But 1Password do offer users to buy the app and Sync it how they choose, if they wish to rather than paying for one of their subscriptions.

Some services do work without internet connection, albeit not completely, such as offline sync, downloading songs to any of your devices, downloading files. But yes, this would not work an initial internet connection, but similarly, some of these services, even as single-purchases would not work without an internet connection. Take music for example. Instead of using Apple Music or Spotify, you could buy Songs/Albums, but that would require either copying of a CD, or downloading the purchase (again requiring internet though).

Subscriptions add up, but so do individual purchases every year or two years. The biggest difference is how often you would end up upgrading if you bought it outright rather than using the subscription. 1Password, if you use the subscription, you always have the latest update available to you, including major upgrades. With 1Password major upgrades, I believe the user has to buy if they are not on a subscription model and wish to have the latest, but they don't release major paid versions every year, rather several years I believe. BUT if it were Adobe Suite, they were yearly updates if I'm remember correctly, and quite pricey ones too.

Ultimately, I guess there are usually options for either subscription or not. If you don't want Netflix, you can buy movies and shows, and own them. If you don't want Apple Music or Spotify, you can buy Songs and Albums. If you don't want Office 365, well there's Google docs and Apple Pages... both of which are free. Pixelmator, Sketch, Invision App instead of Adobe CC.

But it seems, having a subscription model is becoming the norm, especially if it's some sort of a cloud service.

The difference between buying digital and subscription is that buying digital you only have to be online during the purchase. If you buy a TV show from iTunes, after you download it, thats it. You can have it forever and you will never have to go online again. But with subscription it will have to continuously check if your subscription is up to date. Like Netflix, no internet, no service. You never own anything, and nothing really is yours.

Also with subscription your tied to whatever the service is providing, today they might have feature X tomorrow its gone. Today they support OS version X, tomorrow they might drop the support.

I know many people want the latest software, but believe it or not, many people also continue to use their older software. The easiest of examples is videogames. People still get out their old videogames from the 90s and still play them. If it was subscription based it would have gone forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
So, if I don't pay up for the subscription the app will continue to work, I will just not be able to edit the data?
and if there is no internet connection it will continue to work?
It won’t work as in auto fill, and edit/add data. It will let you see your existing data.
And if there is no internet, you will see what you have currently have. If you add something, it won’t sync until you have internet. No difference if you used Dropbox to sync, and internet isn’t working.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
iCloud Keychain, has fulfilled all my password needs.

Which of your passwords can be identified as being weak? Are you using any logins that have been compromised? How often are you re-using passwords across sites? Does Keychain tell you this, or is it of no interest to you?

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Which of your passwords can be identified as being weak? Are you using any logins that have been compromised? How often are you re-using passwords across sites? Does Keychain tell you this, or is it of no interest to you?

You're basically responding to someone saying that it fulfills their needs with, "your needs are wrong!", which is kind of rude.

That said, iOS 12 will add the first and third feature (but not the second).

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
I upgraded to the stand alone 1Pv7. Its nice but, a bunch of visual candy not needed. I am noticing a slow down to app opening and general nav on both 2016 rMBP and iPhoneX.

Reactions: alvindarkness

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I’d like to try out 1password, but the endless monthly fee is a big turnoff. I’d gladly pay a flat fee, but sick of everyone trying to nickel and dime you perpetually.

Totally agree with your larger point -- seems like every damn app in the world feels entitled to a "cup of coffee a month", so you're really just paying the developers to noodle around and try out new crap on your dime instead of pushing out a new version you can buy IF the new features are worth it.

However, I'm happily subscribing to 1Password because they put in a lot of work to update and respond to security threats and usability changes on websites.
[doublepost=1532369960][/doublepost]
The idea of comparing a dev shop in the 90's to a dev shop today is so.. insane...

the cost is ASTRONOMICALLY higher today.. it's not even in the same universe.

Based on what I can gather I bet their cost of doing business is 20m+/year.

As a rule, I think the subscription model is basically like doing a kickstarter for the next version of your app, but with lock-in. It's frankly bull**** in most* situations.

Example: Ulysses was a full-featured writing app that went subscription a year ago. From what I can tell, they've just used all that money to noodle around trying things out since then, not enough to warrant a full release. Here's an idea: if you have written a feature-mature app that just needs maintenance, try making a new app for people to buy. Seriously, if the Ulysses people tried their hand at something for mail or productivity, I'd check it out -- but I'm not going to pay forever just so they can keep farting around with something that works perfectly already.

* 1Password is an exception, to me, because security threats require ongoing work. Same with any app that pushes out actual content, obviously.

Last edited:

brian_ag

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
I upgraded to the stand alone 1Pv7. Its nice but, a bunch of visual candy not needed. I am noticing a slow down to app opening and general nav on both 2016 rMBP and iPhoneX.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. Slowness is always annoying, so let's see if we can get to the bottom of it. Would you be able to send our support team a couple of diagnostics reports (one from your iPhone and one from your MacBook Pro) so they can take a deeper look? Here's some handy instructions on how to do this: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Thanks for your patience, TTTedP!

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
If I have to go the subscription route I’ll make sure I check every possible option. Currently I’m checking out Dashlane. It’s well designed and has the features I require. According the reviews it should be better than 1Password. Don’t know how they compare in reality yet. With normal pricing Dashlane is more expensive than 1Password. However, they had a promo of $40 for 3 years. We’ll see how they compare.
[doublepost=1532510821][/doublepost]
Example: Ulysses was a full-featured writing app that went subscription a year ago. From what I can tell, they've just used all that money to noodle around trying things out since then, not enough to warrant a full release. Here's an idea: if you have written a feature-mature app that just needs maintenance, try making a new app for people to buy. Seriously, if the Ulysses people tried their hand at something for mail or productivity, I'd check it out -- but I'm not going to pay forever just so they can keep farting around with something that works perfectly already.

I’m with you on this one. I really don’t get how Ulysses devs think they can justify subscription model. It’s as if the app is done and done but they want to milk out money for features that don’t justify for actual upgrade. I used to use and like Ulysses but now I stopped using it. It’s not like there are no other options out there.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If I have to go the subscription route I’ll make sure I check every possible option. Currently I’m checking out Dashlane. It’s well designed and has the features I require. According the reviews it should be better than 1Password. Don’t know how they compare in reality yet. With normal pricing Dashlane is more expensive than 1Password. However, they had a promo of $40 for 3 years. We’ll see how they compare.
[doublepost=1532510821][/doublepost]

I’m with you on this one. I really don’t get how Ulysses devs think they can justify subscription model. It’s as if the app is done and done but they want to milk out money for features that don’t justify for actual upgrade. I used to use and like Ulysses but now I stopped using it. It’s not like there are no other options out there.

The thing that gets me is that Ulysses is very very good. I love the design and it has some incredible features that are hidden away until you need them. Haven't seen anything yet that quite stacks up for me. I guess I could give Scrivener a try if I have to.

Fortunately, the last non-subscription version still runs and syncs just fine, and I'm hoping it'll work well in Mojave. The stuff they've added in the past year has been window dressing at best (colored tags, image previews, more complicated goal-setting stuff I can do with some other app if I need it). It's a mature app and they're just noodling with it now to justify that subscription cost. I've got a few hundred thousand words worth of text in my Ulysses library, and very resentful of them for taking advantage of their users in this way. Literally the only thing I need from them is stability releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.