1Password no longer syncs because I didn't buy from MAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Razeus, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

I got a message when I loaded Yosemite and the latest version of 1Password (version 5) and it said it can no longer sync via iCloud since I didn't buy it from MAS. What? So I'm forced to re-buy this from MAS in order to get iCloud sync when it worked perfectly fine before?

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Just get a free Dropbox account & use that instead until they fix it.

3. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Apparently, they can't fix it. Here's the response I got when I tweeted them.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/icloud-webstore-faq

I'll just sync via wi-fi. Much safer than dealing with war criminals at Dropbox.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

?

5. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Yea, it's not something we can fix. We kind of skirted around the problem with the website version previously because technically we could access the files directly on the file system. We could do the same with iCloud Drive, but in the last (nearly) 2 years of working with iCloud Document Syncing (now iCloud Drive) it never really worked as well as it should've. For some it worked great, for others it was constantly prone to problems.

So, we switched to CloudKit syncing, only available in iOS 8 and Yosemite. This, however, does require that you have MAS and App Store versions of each application as CloudKit is more or less a database in the cloud. To access all of that does require the Mac App Store version. On the plus side, this means we get real errors that we can use to troubleshoot issues with users experiencing problems and removes a great deal of guesswork. It's also incredibly cool how it all works. It's the iCloud sync we kind of wish we had from the beginning.

We included iCloud sync in the website version because we could but we never really advertised that because it could disappear any day.

Wifi sync got some great updates though, it's now automatic, can sync all vaults and includes attachments now :) It's almost enough to get me to consider using it full time now and probably will once I get my Mac Mini setup after moving and use it as the master computer for all syncing.

If you were adversely hit by the iCloud sync issue, please let me know via private message so I can see what we can do to assist.

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

That's quite the overreaction.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

War criminals? Where do you get this from?

I sync via dropbox. So far these alleged war criminals have kept things safe. I don't see my cat photos posted anywhere else either.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

Condaleeza Rice is a spokesperson for DropBox and some insane people consider her a war criminal. I don't want this thread to go political but that is what they are talking about.

9. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

10. dan.synergy macrumors member

dan.synergy

Hi Kyle.... I was forced to use the Web Store last time because Agilebits could not provide me a promo code for the MAS if I wanted my upgrade discount. Years before that, I purchased 1Password 3 full price from the Webstore because your team had no created a MAS equivalent yet.

What gives? You really think 30% off is fair? How about creating some promo codes like Starbucks does in partnership with apps/music and give them to loyal customers who have helped you get where you are today?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Maybe we're all missing the big secret, but when did the MAS start supporting promo codes? You're not going to get iCloud sync without the MAS version.

13. dan.synergy macrumors member

dan.synergy

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1574

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

15. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Sorry but the sync all vaults via wifi does not seem to be there and according to the response I got from your support twitter account that it is still in the works. I really could use this feature.

"1Password: We focused on automatic sync with attachments for this release. Multiple vault Wi-Fi sync is on the list."

16. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I almost always try to buy from the App Store so I can use the app on all our Macs if needed - 5 in the house. Saves a lot of money even if I have to rebuy something.

17. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I just wanted to say that it is a pretty big bummer to lose iCloud Sync in the Web version of 1Password. I've always purchased 1Password through the web (since the beginning of its time) because I worried that through the App Store, AgileBits wasn't getting the full cost benefit of the sale (splitting that 30% with Apple) and I wanted to be the publisher got the most money they could from my purchases. And sadly everyone I've recommended the program to I've suggested they do the same...

Anyhow, it was both a shock and a disappointment to lose iCloud support in the online/web version of the 1Password App.

Kindest Regards,
    A sad yet loyal customer.

18. AGKyle macrumors 6502

We only have a certain number of promo codes, we can't give them out to everyone. Believe me, I wish we could, but millions of users does not work out mathematically with the 100 codes we get per release of the application. We tried to give them out when we could but we never promised codes to anyone and they were only given out to users when we knew they were expiring soon. They're otherwise used for customer support purposes. It's just not feasible to give everyone promo codes.

Starbucks likely pays millions of dollars to get what they do. It's just not financially feasible for a small company like us to do that. We've asked in the past and it doesn't become an option until you're spending extremely big bucks.

Please private message me and I'll see what I can do. If you already did I'll read it shortly, I have a few waiting and not sure if you are one of them.

Sorry, I did a code review on this change and it was in there. Looks like we pulled it near release because of a few bugs and time constraints. I hear it may make a comeback soon. No promises.

Please private message me so we can discuss.

19. mattjohnson78 macrumors member

I would really like to find an answer to this without having to use Dropbox. I really liked the iCloud sync and was a major reason I left LastPass and made the switch to 1Password.

I PM'd you also.

20. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

I really do hope it makes it because I would really like to be able to sync my second vault with my phone because I will began traveling more for work here soon and could use those on the go also.

21. AGKyle, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

AGKyle macrumors 6502

Seems this Dropbox topic is getting out of hand. I'm only going to respond to it once, so if you have questions about it, aside from what I say here, please private message me.

It doesn't really matter whether or not Dropbox was hacked (they weren't), or who controls what Dropbox does or does not do. We designed the storage mechanism for 1Password under the assumption that someone would gain access to someone's 1Password data and we designed it to hold up against that should the person try to attack the data file to obtain your information.

You can read more about the previous time Dropbox was supposedly hacked (they weren't) and our response to it here:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/01/12/dropbox-breach-hoax-1password-security-master-password/

This latest "hack" (again, they weren't) gets pretty much the same response from us. Nothing changed between now and then and therefore our response is the same.

Now, if you have specific questions about this, please lets simply talk about it privately rather than continuing to pile on with needless accusations and negativity. The thread here is about iCloud sync with the Website version and what we can do about it. Your options are:

1) Wifi sync

2) Dropbox sync

3) Private message me

Any other response here is probably not fitting the topic of discussion. I know we're all excited people, Yosemite was released, a lot of applications got updates, some of you are happy some of you are running into issues. The point here is to try to resolve the issues. Lets not get into some other silly argument about things that don't necessarily matter or off topic to this thread.

I'd rather see happy people here than not happy people, given the situation it's hard enough to turn unhappy people into happy people, I'd rather not have people fuel the fire and make things more difficult for me or for others who are trying to get help here.

Lets keep it civil, no personal attacks, no attacks on other companies and lets just all get along and get each persons issues resolved so we can get back to being happy people.

22. dan.synergy macrumors member

dan.synergy

I agree with Kyle that the negativity in here is not needed to get our point across.

Personally, my goal is to keep all my sensitive data under one umbrella, reducing the time needed to manage risk and while I did use dropbox before icloud for this sync functionality, this situation is definitely frustrating.

I have supported Agilebits for a while because I trust that their encryption protocols + my strong password will be enough in a worse case scenario. Given that an intruder can even reach the file in the first place.

For anyone out there that is worried about your data being handed over to the government, the Electronic Frontier Foundation has a useful tablethat could clear up who you should be wary of doing business with:

https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-2014

23. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Got it, let me know how else I can help :)

I agree, and I think the rest of then development team does as well. We'll do what we can to make it happen but I just can't promise anything. Not sure how the fact it disappeared slipped under my radar :(

Thank you! And I love that table, it's actually really neat and breaks things down well. May be something we use in the future for our support team. :)

That said, I still haven't gotten a private message from you. Please shoot me a private message and I'll get you the information you need to see if we can help you with the issue you're having.

24. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

I think the stinger for me was that we (or at least I) had no prior knowledge this was going to happen. I only found out I could no longer sync via iCloud was AFTER I upgraded. Hopefully the tech support will let know what's up in the next couple of weeks.

25. mattjohnson78 macrumors member

Have you looked into adding OneDrive api's to add OneDrive as an option to sync across devices?