1Password now on MAS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AdeFowler, Sep 8, 2011.

1. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I've just seen that 1Password is now on the Mac App Store. It's half price for a limited time (£13.99 in UK) and includes an upgrade to v4 when released. It requires Lion. I've just bought it as Keychains won't sync when iCloud launches.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/1password/id443987910?mt=12

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I was just going to pay $69 for a family pack. This is way cheaper and I can install on all my Macs. I was just reading on their Blog this week how they can't see anytime soon when they can get their app on MAS because of restrictions.

3. AdeFowler thread starter macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm hoping that the version on the MAS is identical to the normal retail version. I can't find anything that says otherwise, so I'm not sure how they got around the restrictions.

4. Brian33, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

Brian33 macrumors 6502a

According to this post on the 1Password forum, there are significant differences between the MAS version (3.9) and the Agile website version (3.8). I've quoted most of the post below:

The Mac App Store version has / is:

Regards,
    Brian33

5. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

thanks for that brian.. think i'll stick with my agile version..

6. Mawal macrumors regular

and you better not touch it...Chrome extension does not work and dropbox sync can not be set up.

in my book completely worthless....

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Is it sad that the price of a password manager (when not on sale) costs more than the OS it runs on? Don't get me wrong. I've been using 1Password since version 2 and I love how integrated it is but they've never permanently brought the price down and having to cough up full price for every major release is getting old. Maybe that's changing now that it'll only be in the MAS?

8. Mawal, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

Mawal macrumors regular

let me add, email support is suspended, help files do not reflect the mac app store version...I have asked for a refund.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

This is an unfair comparison. Apple sells hardware and doesn't make much money from software.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I figured someone would bring that up. True.

My major beef with Agile is there is no upgrade price for loyal customers. It's always full price and I think that sucks.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'm concerned about support for 3.8, necessary on my Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server (which I won't upgrade) and with the Windows version, which I have on one system.

Going Lion and MAS only seems a very bad move -- see the massive complaints on macworld.com.

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

They are not allowed to offer an upgrade price throught the MAS. What did they do instead? They offer 1Password for half the price and give you the next version for free. I think it is a pretty good deal.

13. YourRiver macrumors newbie

YourRiver

A pretty good deal.

14. weckart macrumors 68040

True. Up to now Agile has also given away quite a few keys to its loyal customers. All of my family and friends now have access to 1Password on Mac or Windows whether they want to use it or not.
    Not sure I want to 'upgrade' to 3.9 given the comments on its butchering.

15. gandhimasterfly macrumors newbie

is it true that the only way to get the next version (4) will be via the mac appstore? i.e. no updates for current versions now?

if that is the case, thats my only real gripe with it. i won't keep buying new licenses its getting annoying, its a program that becomes essential so i think they should switch to a subscription payment, which gives users upgrades as long as they keep paying. as opposed to new licenses etc every year or so.

thats my pref anyhow, which is why i use last pass now. premium for iOS is a yearly payment, which I'm fine with as i can budget for that.

im not advertising or anything, just my experiences.

thank you

16. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

What's the difference? You are still shelling out each year. And with the purchase scheme at least the program won't stop working just because you didn't pay for the renewal.

The App Store move makes this more convenient because you don't have to deal with activation keys and hitting the "buy" button is an easy exercise.

17. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Bought the upgrade - 1P is one of my longest standing apps, and one I've never considered replacing. Binned non-MAS version, bought MAS version, sorted. Dropbox sync has kept working.

18. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've been toying around with the idea of getting this app for a while. Reading the comments here are now giving me reasons not to pick this one up. I was unaware of the differences between the regular and MAS versions. Guess that's why we have this forum.

19. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I'm interested to know what differences are giving you pause on buying the MAS version.

I'm a longtime 1Password user (I think it is a must-have app). I'm currently on Lion and sync via Dropbox, and none of the differences seem that big a deal to me - but maybe I'm missing something...

Spending $20 to jump on the MAS bandwagon stings a bit, but the developers are very responsive and try hard to put out a quality product.

20. dcains macrumors regular

Before buying 1P check the latest MAS user reviews, as well as the issues posted in the agilebits forums. This app is broken for lots of Lion/Firefox 6.x users, even with the latest beta browser extensions. Unfortunately, it seems agilebits repeatedly states 1P is working with FF6, which may mean fixes will be slow in arriving. I've owned 1P (now 3.8.5 retail and 3.9 MAS versions) for ~6 weeks, and have yet to see it work on my systems. Not to slam agilebits, as I'd really like to have 1P working, especially after having paid for it twice already (plus the iPhone app), but support for these recent issues has been severely lacking.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

From their forum:

OP, thanks for the heads up. My 1Password trial just ran out last night and I ended up spending $39 to buy the app directly from their website. Glad to see they're giving refunds to anyone who purchased within the last 30 days! :)

22. MikhailT macrumors 601

The current stable version of the Chrome extension does work, if you're having issues, visit their forums or contact them at support@agilebits.com.

Dropbox Sync is supported, it can be set up. I have 1Password 3.9 from MAS and my Dropbox sync works.

The Email support is suspended because they have a long backlog to process, they are diverting everybody to the forums which has a lot of responses lately from their cs team however, you can still contact them at support@agilebits.com and they get back to you as soon as they can.

Help Files do need to be updated and they're behind on that. Their forum is usually faster at finding help than looking through their help docs.

They're giving their loyal customers at change to grab 1Password 4 for $20 at Mac App Store and they're issuing refunds for anybody who bought 1Password in the last 30-days.

What are you concerned about? Agilebits isn't dropping support for 3.8, they'll continue to support customers just like they still support 1Password 2 customers. The difference is they may not focus on new features anymore for Snow Leopard or 3.8 updates.

I'm not sure why it'd be a bad move? It makes everything simpler in my opinion for their customers.

Have you contact them at support@agilebits.com or ask for help at their forums? I use 1Password 3.9 with Firefox 6 and it works mostly. Their auto-save function is broken which they said will be fixed as soon as possible and their manual-save support is a bit flakey as well. Safari 5.1 is perfect for me except for the private browsing mode issue.

23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

They got me. I paid for this about a year ago, now I've bought 3.x twice, once on their site, once on MAS because I knew I'd want the 4.x upgrade, so might as well get it half price.

And yeah, dropbox sync still works fine for me, but I was hoping the menu bar helper would mean we could use 1p to fill other applications, like when iTunes asks for a password.

24. Mawal, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Mawal macrumors regular

I tried five installs, setup of dropbox sync was not possible, any help would be appreciated. The "use dropbox" button greyed out and can't be pushed.

...and yes 1password MAS works only with Lion...

solved that one:

dropbox needs to be a on the top level of your home folder and the keychain needs to be in the root folder of dropbox