1st Gen iPhone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nburwell, Apr 3, 2010.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Last week I purchase a 4GB iPhone on eBay to use solely as a backup to my 3G. I was under the impression that I could simply pop out my SIM card in my 3G, and put it in the 4GB iPhone. Apparently that is not the case. I did a full restore of the 4GB iPhone, placed my SIM of my 3G in it, and connected the phone my MBP and iTunes. Upon connecting it to iTunes, it takes me through the activation process. The trouble that I run into is that I currently have a FAN discount through my employer. I get a message on iTunes that says I can proceed with activating the iPhone, but I will loose my discount. Additionally, when I hit 'continue' it takes me to a screen where I select the $20 data plan and a text message plan (I currently have the 200/month plan) however, the only choices are no text plan, 1500/month, or unlimited.

So my question is this: is there any sort of work around to this? I don't want to loose my FAN discount (even though it's not much of a discount), especially since I will be using the 4GB sparingly. And I don't want to give up the 200/month texting plan that I'm currently on, since I send/receive about 100 texts a month.

I basically just wanted to see if anyone had a same or similar situation as I, and what they did. I know the original iPhone you activated it through iTunes, but I just want to see if there are any other suggestions that could help me out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Yeah, use blackra1n or something, you'll jailbreak and unlock your phone in the process as a handy extra. I'm 99% sure that it'll work without a hinch after you do this.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. Get Pwnage Tool
    2. Make custom activated .ipsw
    3. Use iTunes to install
    4. Insert SIM
    5. Enjoy 1st Gen iPhone with no strings attached

More info see hereClick Me

4. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

This may be a stupid question. I already have custom IPSW since my 3G is jailbroken, I presume I can use this for the 4GB iPhone?

Thanks for the help!

5. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

NO, that ipsw is specifically for the 3g model. It wont restore to that firmware. Just use blackra1n to jailbreak.

6. joebobthehob macrumors member

If it's a backup why are you worried about activating it now? Doing so will switch your account over to the original iPhone's data plan, and then your 3G won't work.

You don't see an option for the 200 text msg plan with the original iPhone because its data plan includes 200 messages by default.