1st Gen Mac Pro - New graphics card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Craigy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

My 1st gen mac pro's radion 1900 is getting really bad - pixels /lines / system hangs etc.... I was going to update the card a couple of months back to an 8800gt - but you can't get them on the store anymore!

Has anyone got any suggestions - or have a spare 8800gt kicking around!

I use the mac for:

FCT
    Some Motion and color
    CS3
    Logic Pro

I want also to be reasonably confident that the new card will work in Snow Leopard.

Cheers
    Craig

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Try Amazon, OWC or any other vendor that sells Mac parts for the card you're looking for...

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

:apple: 's ATI 4870 or NVIDIA 285 would be fully supported by SL.

ATI's 3870 Mac&PC Edition would be a compromise of modern features and low energy consumption. It will work with SL but may not support all Open CL features.

Flashed PC cards are around from the 4870 and 285 variety and 4890 without flash but injector software.

This would be the overview. PC cards will offer the lowers compatibility with complete features in Leopard and SL. They often miss some bits.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Gugu: 285 can not be flashed unless you solder a new chip.
    It also requires a second card to run with injectors. Not a good choice for this dude.

4890 though, is running smooth in my 1st gen MP with injectors. Now a days you can also flash it.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Well one could write a book about this. I must admit that I do not have the overview over the whole situation. Particularly I'm not very well informed about the transit of injector based ATI cards to SL. But my guess is that it will not be much of a problem as Netkas is using SL beta already.

6. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I go with the 4870 or 285 they should be OK with my 1st Gen Mac Pro?

Out of the 4870 or 285 - is there much between them 0 any preferences for creative apps rather than gaming?

7. Wormy23 macrumors member

It sounds like you're looking for official cards from Apple. Are you going to buy the official cards? If so, only 4870 will work in 1st Gen Mac Pro. 285 will not. Official 285 card is only for 2008 MP and newer.

If you're going to mess with injectors, etc, then both should be fine.

In general, ATI cards are better in creative apps and nVidia cards are better in gaming. I think 4870 and 285 are very close this generation in Pro apps tho... so it may just come down to preference.

Personally, I'd go with the official 4870 if you're using this for work on Pro Apps, etc. It just saves time on tinkering and allows you to focus on using the Apps.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

8800 GT for sale in the marketplace for 100, if you are interested. Not mine, just thought I would share.

9. OZMP macrumors 6502

4870, ATI do better drivers than NVIDIA, and OpenCL support will speed up the machine in SL

10. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for their help on this.

I think I am going to get a 4870 from Apple here in NZ. I need one quick so it seems a sensible option.

Hopefully it will breath a new lease of life into my ageing Mac Pro :)

Cheers
    Craig

11. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for letting me know :)

12. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You should also be able to pick up an ATI 3870 Mac&PC Edition which is cheaper and will give you two duali-DVI ports for a total of two 30" :apple: displays. It is much more versatile than the :apple: 4870 with the mini display adapter. It even has the same amount of RAM 512 MB.

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8709090

In the US it is 210$ from PC Connection. Check if you can get it in NZ too.
    Perhaps you have internet dealers from outside NZ who will supply you.

13. Syonidism macrumors regular

ORRRR you couldve just searched this forum or google to find an answer instead of making this thread.

Honestly this has been discussed SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.

14. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Actually I think that NZ is rather special. Not easy to find stuff there.

15. OZMP macrumors 6502

mini display -> DVI adapter

always buy the best you can at the time IMO, try and future proof it, and think of OpenCL :p

same boat as australia, or get it sent from here.

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Try that with dual DVI and you are 100$ set back.

17. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Certainly is a magical place. I've lived in many countries around the world and this one takes some beating - definitely going to settle down here.

Coming from the UK - finding Mac stuff is not easy - hence deciding to get the 4870 from the NZ online Apple Store.

Go the card installed today works perfectly. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Cheers
    Craig

18. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Just to make sure : You installed succesfully ati 4870 card (witch apple store states needs a pcie 2.0) into a first gen,pcie 1.0 ,woodcrest, 1.1v macpro??!

Just say it is so...

Called local dealers (2) and apples customer service (twice) got redirected to a "senior supervisor" and they DID NOT KNOW WHAT IS THE FASTEST CURRENT CARD FOR 1.1 GEN MACS!!!
    Shiite... Seriously. They tried to suggest ati 1900...

19. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It has been posted here several times and on barefeet that the :apple: 4870 runs in MacPro1,1. Bozz for instance has testified several times that they run.

20. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

And again it is proven that if you are fuked or in doubt, the best info is here.

Cheers!

21. Craigy thread starter macrumors 6502

Certainly does. Dual 2.66 2006 Mac Pro. Running 10.5.8 now.. Very happy - Great compared to the X1900. I do hope it still works when then launch Snow Leopard though - but can't imagine why it wouldn't..

22. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Super.

As I use exactly the same progs,you havent found any issues with them?
    Any improvements in FCP?
    I have the old 7300gt so I think everything will be faster,so just checking...
    :D

23. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I had this same issue. It turns out there was a manufacturing defect on those cards. I had Applecare so got the card changed saving me £300.

Sometimes, Applecare really pays off

24. randy771 macrumors newbie

No more dual display on a X4870

I am running a MP1.1 on 10.5.8 and am trying to replace my X1900 with a Apple branded X4870. I am using dual 24" samsung monitors at 1920 x 1200 via the DVI connections. After install of the 4870 I can only get one monitors to display. It is the min port that will not display as I swapped the cables to confirm. Under Displays, I can hit detect and it is just not seen. So, either I have an issue with the min to DVI adapter cable, a driver/SW setting or there is an issue running dual monitors on the Gen 1. I had considered flashing a PC 4870 but heard there was an issue similar to what I have now (only one dispaly). Any advise as to what I might try as I'm sure to get no suppport from apple on this config. I thought I had read every posting on this subject and it seems many people seem to have this working! What have I done wrong?