1st Gen Owners Rejoice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchyphone, Jun 9, 2008.

1. touchyphone macrumors regular

We have the same phone(minus 3g and GPS), a way more attractive phone, because the current is sexier than the new(you can debate). We get all the exchange support and app store. Plus as things are churning out minute by minute, it now appears as if our plan is cheaper. I would say we got the good end of the deal, yeah the upfront cost is cheaper for the 3G, but hey, we pay less over two years. Edge isnt bad at all here in Los Angeles, so I am satisfied.....anyone else wanna join the happy dance with me?

Looks like I wont have to upgrade afterall!

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

It's a certainty that the plan is cheaper.. right now the cheapest data plan for the new phone is $30 for 3G access and if you want Text, they're starting at $5 for 200, $20 for unlimited..

I'm paying $20 for unlimited data and text.. :D No upgrade for me!! :p

Plus, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, so there's more than enough Wi-Fi that I can access if need be...

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Looks like you should know what you're talking about.

-New iPhone looks more stylish. How can you tell though? You haven't even SEEN one in person.
    -The plan is the same if you have an iPhone now and upgrade
    -The plans stay the same, so we spend less and get more while you spend more and get less.

4. isimon1207 macrumors member

I totally agree. No major improvements, cheaper parts, less origional looking than the origional, no month long wait, the list goes on.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Wrong, if you buy a new iPhone, even if you already have one, you have to sign a new contract at the new prices.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No, you don't. Your contract gets extended for 2 years, but you pay the same price as you do now if you already own an iPhone.

7. touchyphone thread starter macrumors regular

Where does it say the plan is the same if you upgrade to the new one? I'd like that link to prove me wrong....

And as for paying less and getting more, how does that makes sense, you pay additional for texts and seperate data, and a voice plan, lets say you get unlimited texting $20, unlimited data $30 and a minimum voice of 450 for 39. ummmm isn't that 89? Or am I wrong, and I have seen it, pictures speak a thousand words, I am sure you can google and tell if it sexy or not, but I guess ever board needs a debater, even a master debater!

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Hate to tell you bud, but when you get the new phone, you automatically have to reup for the new prices... so no, the plans don't stay the same... you're spending more...

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

how are you paying 20$ for unlimited data and text? are you on some special plan no one knows about?

10. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Simply nonsensical thread. Why rejoice about not "having" to upgrade? A new product does not change your current product. It is great that all iphones will benefit from the new stuff of course, I just never understood the mentality of this thread. Yay, there isn't something better than i have so i don't have to upgrade. Isn't it always better to have more choices? You don't HAVE to upgrade. Why does someone else having something cooler make you feel less good about what you already have?

I agree, there is no reason for many iPhone owners to upgrade, but for those who want to, I think they will be really happy with the updates. Everybody wins.

Sorry for the rant, but this attitude always strikes me as curious in every product category. "Yay, the new version of my car isn't any better than mine so i don't have to buy a new one. Ha ha to those hoping for a 400hp engine since it doesn't have one." Just an odd response.

11. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to see the screen quality on the new model. Apple have shaved a few corners to cut costs but retain their margins. Have they cut one too many and gone for a lousy screen?

12. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

No, they gave me the text from a big dispute.. and I have the $20 unlimited data..

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Screen is the same quality, as it is the same screen.

14. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

It worked out kinda perfectly for me...

I have had my iPhone unlocked and working in canada for 10 months. I love everything about it.

In July i'm moving to Israel for a year, where there is no iphone yet, and if there was, i wouldn't be able to sign into a two year contract.

So this means that if i would have waited for 3g, with its in store activation process, i would not have been able to take the phone with me, or even have one at all.

15. touchyphone thread starter macrumors regular

I think youre wrong, I keep reading, and more and more it points to you being wrong, unless I am just tired and reading everything wrong....get it, you dont?

16. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I assume you are referring to this passage:

All that means is that if you keep your current iPhone the price will not change, even though that plan does not exist anymore. Buy a new 3G iPhone though, and you start a whole new contract with the current price structure.

17. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

If you're referring the the "grandfather" passage, that just means current IPhone users won't experience price increases to reflect the price increases of the new plans..

Your plan does NOT carry over to a new phone..

New phone = New Plan = New Rates..

18. touchyphone thread starter macrumors regular

Im saying rejoice because usually in the end older users of technology get shafted, but we still have many of the great features the new phone will. It has nothing to do with not making my current phone 'not cool'(you hipster), it has to do with that our current phones are just as capable as something new. I enjoyed your rant, you need a hug.

19. 103734 Guest

Yay I Have The Same Phone As Before The Keynote But Now That They Are Coming Out With A Upgraded Version One My Old Phone Magically Became Better!!! Rejoice!!!

20. touchyphone thread starter macrumors regular

21. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Actually that is a complete wild guess - there is no way to know that at this stage. However Apple have already switched the screen once for less expensive alternatives...

Remember Negative Blacks?

22. touchyphone thread starter macrumors regular

It did magically become better, I now have thousands of apps coming to me, just like the new phone. I also get exchange support too, sounds like an awesome magical upgrade to me....

23. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

So here is the interesting part:

My company has a ATT discount for 17% which doesn't apply for the iphone. I see my corporate fan number but i know im not getting the 17% discount.

If att is treating this phone like anyother phone from att. (which is why the prices are standardized). then you should be able to apply any type of discount.

So hopefully my 17% will take effect and offset the bogus 30/month data plan.

24. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Ha! thanks for the hug.

As you know, i just mean that your iphone is as excellent now as it was yesterday regardless of the 3G iphone. You would not have been shafted in any case. Fortunately, it gets even better with 2.0.

Enjoy, and thanks for having a sense of humor. I will try to have one now :)

I will buy a 3G iPhone.. I waited for a few things and these announcements deliver for me.