1TB External Hard Drive for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Primejimbo, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Looks like the more expensive one has software built in to access it over the internet.

Just partition the HD in half to use it between 2 computers.

No other difference that I see, but maybe look at higher speed transfers. Firewire 400 maybe if you both have a firewire enabled macbook.

3. bobr macrumors member

I agree with Kellen. Get the cheaper one. Odds are you'll never use the Web-Access feature of the other one. Very easy to partition in two for both computers to have their "own" Time Machine drive.

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

On a side note...I would highly recommend a firewire drive...much, much faster than USB for large transfers.

EDIT: just saw that you have the alu-macbook which has no firewire.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

The office edition has the Mionet software for remote access. It is windows only, and sucks royally anyway.
    If you want something you can both access easily go for an NAS like the My Book World Edition (that works very nicely but you do have to know what you are doing with it, PM me if you need help with that) If not just get a USB (or Firewire, 800 if you have pros...) and manually connect to it individually. Or get Time Capsule. It is bloody expensive for the space you get, but it supposedly works very well for just what you are describing.

6. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank!! I'll get the cheaper one probably this weekend. I got a 100.00 gift card from Best Buy so I won't have to pay much out of pocket. I was going to get an Ipod Nano, but after see people lose all their info from 1 thing or another, I figure the hard drive would be a wise investment.
    How do I partition the hard drive?
    I have an Airport router and I will be using that and make it like a "Time capsule", I'll plug the hard drive into the USB port on the back of the Apple Airport.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You can partition the Disk using Disk Utility located in Finder->Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.

8. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

AWESOME!! Thanks!!
    So I take it all I do is plug the hard drive to my Mac and go from there?

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Exactly, It looks like this You just say how much you need.

Attached Files:

10. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Do I have to partition the hard drive to have 2 Macs use Time Machine on 1 hard drive?

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

No, all Time machine does is put one single large package on the harddrive so you can use two macs on one unpartitioned drive.

12. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok cool, I was afraid if I did partition the hard drive that 1 mac would need more than 500GB and the other would only need 250. This is a big help!! Thanks!

13. weckart macrumors 68040

I was going to go for the 1TB WD Essentials drive today as it was available for about £59/US$90 in the UK from PC World after price matching with Comet. However, customer reviews regarding its reliability were shocking. It seems that the usb port and power circuit regularly fail leading to mounting errors. The drive itself usually survives, so it is not a HD issue as such.

Have a read: Amazon one star reviews - plenty of 'em

I paid about another £6/US$10 extra for the WD Elements drive, which seems to have gone down better, although not as smart looking as the Mybook. I already own a couple of 500GB Mybook Studios, which are still going strong.

14. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into the Elements drive

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Right- no need to partition as mentioned-- however you will need to format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using a GUID partition map to use it with Time Machine since it will probably come formatted for PC use.

You can either do it ahead of time (before starting up Time Machine) using Disk Utility- or Time Machine will ask you if you want to prepare it for use with TM if TM is started and it sees that it is formatted for PC.

16. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

18. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, so is 1TB over kill for Time Machine? I have a 250GB hard drive and my wife has a 160BG hard drive.

19. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

No, because time machine never deletes anything unless it absolutely has to. So generally it's good to buy a much larger hard drive.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd buy 2 500 GB drives instead of one TB drive. If the TB drive fails, you're losing both backups instead of just one.

21. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

I have a Best Buy gift card, so that's what I'm getting.

That's not a bad idea.

22. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Don't bother with firewire at this point. Its over. USB 3 will be out
    before long. Anyway, for backup USB 2 is more than adequate.

Take a look at OWC...great prices on externals.

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

He doesn't even have FW (alu MB)

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

The thing with 'over-kill' is that it doesn't really exist. Buy the best you can afford. If that's 1TB then so be it...

25. hhlee macrumors 6502

can i suggest a backup for the backup? i've used an external hd for backup before but it also did get corrupt. so now i have a backup for the backup.