Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohnw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Eastern NC
This is from theiphoneblog.com that was just posted....
---

Word from a merry tipster, whom we would trust with our lives (well, maybe the lives of our pets, we’re not madmen), is that AT&T is informing the faithful:

As with most major software releases (like the iPhone 2.0 software), vendors typically release enhanced software updates shortly after the major release. Vendors tweak their code to optimize the performance of the device and the customer experience. That’s the case with the release of iPhone 2.0.2 (5C1) code that will be available on iTunes at 5:00 PM eastern time today.
Customers should plug their iPhone into an iTunes equipped computer, that’s connected to the internet, and follow the prompts to upgrade their device. The results of this software release will improve the customer’s experience while operating on our network.

Note the bolded text above. Could it be? A 3G fix already? Or are we looking at more mysterious “bug fixes”?

ijohnw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Eastern NC
BGR Just posted this....

--
First things first, we just got word that iPhone owners can look forward to a nice little firmware update coming their way in just over half an hour. Version 2.0.2 (5C1) is due to hit iTunes at 5:00 pm EST today and will consist mainly of performance tweaks. This might be very good news however, if you’re one of the many people having issues with your shiny new iPhone 3G. You know, the select few now known as “Jobs’ 2%”. With any luck the upcoming update will resolve the “issues” he referred to in his one-liner and all will be right again in the world. In related iPhone 3G news, we also have confirmation that AT&T stores will in fact be receiving iPhone 3G shipments tomorrow. As we reported initially, these shipments will likely primarily serve those waiting for existing orders to be fulfilled and we’re not sure exactly what portion will be available for walk-ins. At any rate, hopefully the shipment will be sizable and will help AT&T catch up with the crazy demand.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
What is AT&T doing announcing anything about an Apple Firmware release? We've already seen the seeds for Beta 2.1 Firmware update, so why would Apple be willing to go to a 2.0.2??? :confused: Wasteland BOUND with this one...

it might just help 2.0 become more stable

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I believe that this may come. 2.1 is a major update for September, whereas another interim update is likely especially since this site had a member who received an e-mail from Steve Jobs indicating a minor update to fix hiccups before the end of the month.

TEG

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
What is AT&T doing announcing anything about an Apple Firmware release? We've already seen the seeds for Beta 2.1 Firmware update, so why would Apple be willing to go to a 2.0.2??? :confused: Wasteland BOUND with this one...

You're right. Why would Apple be prepping 10.5.5 when they've released a beta for 10.6?

dancavallaro

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008

Apple doesn't need to seed 2.0.2 to developers if it's just bugfixes and performance updates without adding/removing/changing any SDK features. Who knows if it's actually gonna happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if Apple rushed out a 2.0.2 in response to all the negative press (Businessweek, etc.) and skipped seeding it to developers and kept the testing all internal.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
What's wrong with Safari now???

I managed to crash Safari 3 times while in a store just to zoom in on a pricematch. I even had the page preloaded and zoomed, but when I switched back to it, it decided to reload it, and while trying too zoom back in on the tiny price, it crashed in the middle of panning. Then upon reopening Safari, I tried waiting for the page to fully load this time, but as I walked around with the phone by my side, I think due to causing it to switch back and forth from landscape while loading, it crashed again. I managed to crash it one more time before I finally had it where I had left it in the first place.

That's only the 2nd time I really needed Safari and it failed miserably. The other time was to try and check the time of a show within 5 minutes using Tivo's online listings. But while trying to type in my password, but I forgot but at least knew it was 3 possible ones. Though, it kept crashing as I tried each one. Not to mention every key stroke was taking 2+ seconds delay, so retyping a simple e-mail username was a nightmare. I had to give up because it was so painful and crappy.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
didn't happen. or at least didn't happen at the time stated.

EDIT: downloading now. 4:10 cst

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
If Safari won't be any snappier than I couldn't care less about this update :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.