2.0 GHz vs 2.2 GHz and options, which would you rather have

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tka, Apr 1, 2011.

1. tka macrumors newbie

Which 15" MBP you rather have?

1) 2.0 GHz, 6490M video card, and 128 GB SSD

or

2) 2.2 GHz, 6750M video card, and 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive

I'm on a budget and deciding which direction makes more sense.

2. themac23 macrumors regular

Better processor and video card. You can always add an SSD later.

3. tka thread starter macrumors newbie

How are you holding up with the 128 GB SSD? Is it big enough?

I usually only have 60 GB used up on my MBP with apps, music, data so space shouldn't be an issue. Does a good chunk of the SSD drive also get used for swap disk space sometimes?

4. AlanFord macrumors regular

Got the base 2.0 today and it works perfectly.Played with iMovie video as well, graphics works nice, so if you dont have any needs for high 3d or high graphics need I would recommend it.

5. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

As people are saying get the faster system and then add your own SSD. After market SSDs will be much faster than Apple's and it's very easy to do. I did it.

Also now you can enable TRIM on non Apple SSDs easily.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Taking current SSD prices into consideration, I'd go with the 2.0. As adding an SSD later would likely cost another good chunk of change.

7. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I would go with the 2.2 and add the SSD later. The drive I have is the 120GB OCZ Vertex 2, which is going for $210 on amazon.com right now.

8. superericla macrumors 6502

Definitely go with the 2.2 and buy an ssd later. You can't upgrade the processor and graphics yourself while you can change the hard drive out for an ssd any time you want.

9. themac23 macrumors regular

It's on it's way. It should be more than fine. My laptop is mostly used at home, and I am buying another external HDD to store almost all of my music and movies. Important documents, a little music, and apps will be on the SSD.

Should be more than sufficient until all that exists are SSD's.

10. Robbug macrumors member

1. Depends
    2. Depends

Determine what you need the computer for.

Light usage - word processing, web, some encoding, light iphoto work etc. No intention ever to get more into it then #1 makes sense.

Moderate/Heavy usage - all of the above plus, aperture work, gaming (graphic intensive - AAA titles, video editing and conversion, converting all of your DVDs etc to digital etc then #2 makes more sense.

Personally if you want to "future proof" as much as possible then #2 with a SSD makes a bit more sense in my humble opinion.

11. tka, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

tka thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not a big believer in being future proof with technology purchases since its an impossible goal. Apple and other tech companies keep innovating and will offer better performance and more functionality at the same price (Apple-style) every year. I rather buy for my needs each year, keep the system in excellent condition, and upgrade when the new systems come out (sell previous system on eBay or Craigslist).

Which leads me to why a system's potential resale value is important...

I purchased a 2010 13" MBP for $1150 (education discount, including tax) in April 2010 and was able to resell it last month on eBay in excellent condition for $850 - just a 26% loss. It was in flawless condition and I was good with pictures and an honest auction listing. The annual upgrade approach worked well here.

If I were to purchase a fully spec'd out 15" MBP 2.2 GHz this year for $2,375 (education discount, including tax), I highly doubt I'll be able to do as well next year -- $2,375 - 26% loss = $1,757. People are open to buying something used for under $1,000 but have a harder time spending $1,700 on something used.

The bottom line is you need to buy a system based on your needs but also consider the resale value if you plan to upgrade every year. Specing out a system will likely not lead to a higher resale value and is just maximizing Apple's profit margin.

I'm leaning towards just getting the base 2.0 system since my needs don't require the better video card that the 2.2 comes with.

12. themac23 macrumors regular

Here is an idea. Stop selling and buying a new computer every year for a loss. Do you know how much of a waste that is? If your current computer is fairly new and does what you need it to do...aaahhhh....use it.

13. tka, Apr 1, 2011

Different strokes for different folks. If you can go the upgrade approach and lose no more than 25% each year, its better than buying a new computer every 4 years. Both approaches cost the same, but the upgrade approach allows you to have a new computer each year.

14. themac23 macrumors regular

Not a top of the line pc. You said it yourself. You are settling for cheap in hopes of selling your pc before you even buy it.

And no it isn't better. Especially because your calculations aren't subtracting about $200 in Ebay/Paypal fees too so it's quite a bit more than 25% you are losing.

15. tka, Apr 1, 2011

My eBay/Paypal expenses on the $850 sale were $76 -- $1 eBay listing fee, $50 eBay final value (this is the max final value), $25 for Paypal. On a more expensive system, the costs would probably top out at $100 because of the way eBay/Paypal fees are lower as value goes up.

A 2.0 system is still close to being top of the line. No one's settling for cheap... And keeping a system for a year with just 25% depreciation is a good deal for someone that values having the latest.

16. themac23 macrumors regular

It's close to 10% total. So you ended up with $774 on a computer you purchased for 1,150 not even a year earlier. About a 33% loss. Dumb.

17. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi mate,i use this theories when buying anything-

1-[usually] you get what u pay for,

2--[usually] better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it!!

think about this if you will,just get 2.2 and go ssd in future,

18. tka, Apr 1, 2011

I understand your viewpoint. If I saw the new computer as an asset that was losing 33% each year and the new system I was buying wasn't producing anything for me, it wouldn't make as much sense.

For the type of work I do, spending $400 for "computer time" is a good deal.

19. iMackPro macrumors 6502

Is this your only computer? if so, option 2. If youre looking for a second computer option 1. Although, option 1 would still very well work for a main computer given what you will be using it for

I say option 1. Unless the budget is enough for option 2, then why the heck not:D

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'd go for the 2.0 with the SSD in a heartbeat. If you don't need the faster GPU then it is a useless waste of money.

21. propower macrumors 6502a

Me too..... not a gamer so 15" 2.0 does just fine. Total in cost = 1650..... will not buy applecare and will sell when new model emerges (hopefully less than a year)....... 1400 to 1500. Rinse, repeat........ I will get an SSD (256 at least) and that will go with me......

We are all different though.....

22. themac23 macrumors regular

minus ebay/paypal fees which means you spend a minimum of $300 -400 on a pc every year.

23. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Craigslist has done me great. Sold a 2010 13" for $1100 cash in January and recently bought a 2010 i7 AG on eBay for 1550 shipped decided I wanted 2011 sold it on cl for $1700 cash, no joke. I do resale like mad on Mbp. Anyway I'm getting tired of reselling so I want to keep my current system for longer I hope.

24. Newbe macrumors member

2.0 GHz vs 2.2 GHz and options, which would you rather have

TKA, laptops are merely tools. Buy the tools you need to use. If you are doing games and video editing then definitely go for the 2.2 GHz. If you are not doing games and video editing, you probably would notice any significant difference between the 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz.