2.0 preinstalled? never

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by antony617, Jul 14, 2008.

1. antony617 macrumors newbie

As I want to get the new iPod with the BTS offer,
    I phoned the Apple store and ask if I get the iPod touch now, will the 2.0 be preinstalled?

The answer is: let me check...(music)...NO:mad:

I asked again: What if I buy it later, maybe a couple of weeks later?

Answer: 2.0 software is an OPTIONAL upgrade, so you must buy it seperately.

sorry if it have been posted before, but it really disappoints me:(

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Wow, that is a lil' odd. Oh well, it's only $10! ;) :)

3. antony617 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yeah.
    I think I'll still give the worthy $10 to Apple...
    but I just don't understand.
    That's not the way they did on Macs

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think apple was pretty nice with this update. As they knew their best customers would have their faces glued to macrumors when the firmware was supposed to launch and apple put it up on their servers allowing us to download the firmware for free before it was released, of course it has since been pulled.

Thanks apple!

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Wow, is that what really what went down? :confused: If so, was probably the best PR move for :apple: all week!

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Er....something like that!

*hides SWAG bag*

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Apple still has two versions of every Touch out there. One with 1.1.2 and one with 1.1.4. Most places have them marked $50 apart, at least for the 16gb model. Adding one more model to the mix, at $399 for 2.0, would confuse the issue even more.

It's hard to know what percentage of buyers would never update their Touch, given you can't buy the 1.1.4 apps anymore (they are rolled into 2.0) the two pricing models don't make sense anymore, and adding a third would be absurd. As far as I can see, no one should buy a 1.1.4 model if there are 1.1.2 models out there. The same $10 makes them into 2.0 models. If they put out a new Touch with 2.0 installed, it would devalue every Touch currently in the retail chain.

I think they will update the Touch, perhaps with Bluetooth. When it comes out it will come with 2.0. It's hardware will distinguish it at the top of the price ladder.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...apple needs to give anyone who bought the Jan update for $20 this update for $0 as they are essentially going the other way from Jan to yesterday's update:mad:

9. 4lp1 macrumors newbie

Njaa, I don't think it will be 2.0, cause it's a new model (almost like 3G iPhone to 1. iPhone). It might be other 2.x, or 3.0. Because there is new parts, and 2.1 wll be (hopefully) released in one month to fix these bugs in 2.0.

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Did Apple actually manufacture any new iPod Touches with software version 1.1.2 after version 1.1.3 (and then 1.1.4) was released?

I was under the impression that every new iPod Touch manufactured between January and July 10th had version 1.1.3 (and then 1.1.4) installed by default.

I know for certain that it had always been possible (and Apple-sanctioned) to install 1.1.3 (and then 1.1.4) on any older iPod Touch with no charge. All it delivered initially were stability and security bug fixes.

The JSU apps were activated by default on units delivered with 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 from the factory, and they were disabled by default on units delivered with a lower firmware version and subsequently upgraded.

Activating the JSU apps on older iPod Touches was an additional step, and it required the exchange of money, hence such units already in distribution prior to the announcement had their prices reduced in compensation.

11. ricartedor macrumors member

I have just used the chat feature of the apple online store to ask whether 2.0 comes preinstalled on touches, and the response was 'no it does not' i then asked 'will this be the case for the foreseeable future, or will it be included sometime soon' and the representative said 'i have no information on future offers'

Now, the fact the word offer was used does imply to me that the 2.0 update is being marketed as a product, hence how it could be included in an offer, as opposed to being merited as included with the touch on purchase.

Perhaps the next iteration of the touch will include it, who knows, i certainly hope so as i'm holding out for the next iteration to get rid of the chrome back which i do not want but no doubt will still have to get!

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I picked up a 16gb Touch for my wife around June 6th. It came with 1.1.2 on it. $339ish from bhphotovideo.com. They were selling Touches "with software upgrade" for $394ish.

True, a new Touch with any hardware enhancements will probably come with 2.1 or greater firmware, as they would have to have added support for the hardware. Any hardware added to the Touch that is already in the iPhone would be an easy add, as they obviously have code modules for GPS, Bluetooth, Mic, Speaker, etc.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think it was all the people on the forums complaining about how early adopters of the iPod touch had to pay for the January Software Upgrade, but new purchasers did not. If they hadn't complained I bet new users would be getting this for free.

It's one of those, "Fine, then no one gets it for free" dealies.

14. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Bingo! I agree with Jimmy! :)

15. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

That was dead on :cool:

16. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

No.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't get this logic. You knew what features you were buying when you bought the January Software Upgrade and you knew it didn't include an app store or free updates later on. Apple doesn't owe you anything. Would you be happier if they simply stopped updating the firmware on the original touch and the app store were only available on the next version of the touch?

18. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

This is my favorite part! :D

19. JAT macrumors 603

Shoot! My parents bought a 12" Panasonic TV in 1975. Panny shoulda given them a free 65" plasma in 2005 since all those new features SHOULDA been in the 12" way back when. :rolleyes:

20. todd2000 macrumors 68000

How exactly is this "CONFIRMED?" Just because some random person from an Apple store told you something, doesn't mean anything.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. they probably haven't sold through their current stock. it'll be a few weeks at best though.

22. pisces03x macrumors regular

Just as the $20 1.1.3 update became factory-installed back in January, I assume 2.0 will do the same. If not, I'm pretty sure Apple will annoy many potential buyers that hear about the iPhone's SDK and wish to buy an iPod touch for this purpose.

23. antony617 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I hope I'm wrong,
    but if what the salesman in official :apple:store said connot confirm the news,
    then Steve should come out and say "There will be no preinstalled 2.0 Touches."?

24. pisces03x macrumors regular

Best bet is to wait a couple weeks and see if Apple updates their online store. Good thing about the iPod touch is that if you see a product box that does NOT have a picture of John Lennon or Corinne Bailey Rae, you know that it's a brand new iPod.

25. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I believe it's Macy Gray! :rolleyes: