2.0 Preview to whet your appetite

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andybno1, Jul 9, 2008.

1. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

Firstly DO NOT message me asking for this as you wont get a reply and besides the update is right around the corner this friday, this is just to wet your whistle and give a taste of how its all looking....... this is the latest iPod Touch Beta (Build 5A345)

from playing with it I found 2.0 to be far more smoother and faster, first thing I noticed was with the email, it pre-downloaded some attachments before I even opened emails which was good little addition, other attachments downloaded much faster aswell.

Safari seems to work faster aswell, the app store as yet doesn't work in the UK (you will see below). Generally overall I am very impressed with the new 2.0 firmware.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

4. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Excellent work! I hope this launches with iTunes 7.7 Today!

Could you do me a giant features and see what happens when you disable Explicit Songs in Restrictions? Does it totally blank them out from your library, or does it ask for the passcode, or does it just say that you can't go there? Thanks!

5. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

6. B. Hunter macrumors regular

Did I see a file folder on one of those pictures?
    Looks like one for PowerPoint, wmv files and other things.
    Pleeeeeeeze make it possible to import and store iWork and Word documents!

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

8. fishface17 macrumors member

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

So far, I don't see anything there that leaves me panting for the update. I suppose that iTunes will force the upgrade but it all looks to me like a big yawn.

Even the scientific calculator is of little use to me since it doesn't have RPN capabilities.

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

nice screen shots, to bad the app store isn't working

11. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Thank you for your effort. Can't wait till friday, oh man those apps!

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Really appreciate the screens. Thank you!! <goes off to make 30 odd tabs...>
    I like how accessible the options are for Yahoo mail - Easier than using yahoo.com on the web hehe

What's the smoothness of Google Maps/Earth like? Traffic?

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

14. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Yahoo! mail was this accessible in every version of iphone/ipod touch,

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

16. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i think thats if you block it with parental controls. for example if you block youtube then it won't show the youtube icon

17. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It I Want It

I... Want It!!!!! :( :( :(

18. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

it still shows the explicit songs but when you click on the song to say play it nothing happens ans the buy icon is greyed out.

nope its for all email, if you look at the second post the first couple of pics are a follow on of me pressing push new data. (sorry pics are not in order)

you are correct if you enter passcode to acces parental controls and then click youtube to off then the icon will disappear.

you did see an email with wmv and powerpoint file, wmv files cant be viewed and I am not sure about importing to iworks as I dont have it installed on my macbook so couldn't test it.

yep yahoo mail has always been there, the only new addition to mail is mobile me (formally .mac) and exchange.

19. HollacoptaPilot macrumors newbie

A few questions that I cannot find answers to

1. When is 2.0 available?
    2. Will upgrading to 2.0 delete all of my music, videos and notepad notes? That happened to me with the January update.
    3. Is there a list of applications that will be available anywhere?
    4. Are you able to save maps? I don't mean routing something and then opening it later, I mean actually saving several different routes and bringing them up in their entirety while not connected to wifi.
    5. Will I be able to connect to my school's wifi? They have that 802 business.

Thanks

20. NSWMaps macrumors member

Thanks a bunch! Do you know if you will be able to take screenshots with the public version of the 2.0 firmware? I heard that its done by tapping the home and power butons at the same time.

21. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Yes, the public release will include this features, and there are 2 ways of performing it:
    • Hold down the Sleep button and press the Home Button
    • Hold down the Home Button and press the Sleep button
    :)

22. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

1. today or tomorrow

2. hopefully you just stick ipod in and choose update and everything should still be on the touch, if you have purchases on your ipod then it might be best to right click on the touch in itunes and choose transfer purchases.

3. I have googles but found no list of apps, if you go to apple and watch the wwdc key notes presentation they showcase a few apps.

4. I have not tried maps out properly yet, but I think it could be the same as before where you need access to net to view the maps route, I have heard though if you view the map route step by step before leaving the house and dont turn the touch off you should be able to use it that way.

5. I am not sure, that would be down to the school, there is a cisco option now in the vpn settings so I guess if they allow you to you could see if they will allow via vpn

its the second one, hold home then press sleep button

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ladies and gentlemen!

Mr Steve... Ballmer!
    :p :D

24. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i dont know about you all, but the suspense is killing me.... just over 12hrs for me
    or will 2.0 be available 8am, in each timezone?

25. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

its apple they are a law upon themselves to who knows lol

if 2.0 is not released tonight I'll be posting a few more screenshots of apps, so far I have found the PC version of iTunes to be VERY sluggish, and the applications sync slower than installer installs