Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
However I'm slowly getting into Digital Media and want a machine which I can grow with, I use Aperture rather frequently, and Final Cut isn't out of the question down the line. I know a Mac Pro is a little bit of an overkill for my needs and uses, though as I stated above, I want a machine which can grow with me rather than another iMac.

The 2.0GHz machine will be more than enough.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Glenn, the decision is too easy. You said it yourself, you want the system to grow with you. You can upgrade RAM the easiest. Get the faster CPU now, and 3GB of RAM which is already an optimal amount for what you do with the computer now, and once you get to the point where you want to upgrade buy more RAM.
You already have 750gb of HD space which you won't use anytime soon. So you will only have to upgrade the memory the next time you get some free cash to put towards your Mac.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Personally, I'd upgrade the video card. The 7300 is just really not very good at all.

Completely fine if you're not doing any real 3d work (or gaming of course). Again, depends what you're doing.

The 2.0ghz has just as much grow-with-you capability as the 2.66ghz. When you start pumping out work on it thats processor intensive and the time is bothering you...throw two 3.0ghz in there. By the time you need them they will have dropped in price a lot.

Since both machines are ultimately equal on the grow-with-you front, ask yourself this; would you feel that extra .66ghz when the machine arrived? I extremely doubt it given what you're doing at least to start with. You would, however, feel another HD. And the money you save with the proc will go a lot further towards a proc upgrade down the line when they drop in price...if you ever need one.

I've contemplated this exact question myself and ruled out the 2.66ghz. I'm a web dev and also want a machine which will grow with me, so couldn't get an iMac because of this.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
If you're anything like me and you have Mail, iTunes and Safari running simultaneously, you'll need the 2.66GHz processor and at least 8-10GB of RAM, especially if you're going to have up to ten tabs in Safari at any one time.

That reminds me, what're you going to be using it for?

That's hilarious.

You can run Firefox, Mail, iTunes, and throw Photoshop in for good measure at the same time on a G4 400mhz with a gig of ram. Pick one up on ebay for a hundred bucks or something.

Sure, it's not gonna be snappy in Photoshop, but jesus christ you do not need a quad core 2.66ghz Mac Pro with 8-10 gig of ram to run Safari, iTunes and Mail at the same time. Mac Mini will do that perfectly.

Ya think? Sarcasm detector a little rusty?

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Ya think? Sarcasm detector a little rusty?

No, not at all.

And where is this sarcasm you speak of?!??!

:D

Given his 'I'm a carrot' signature I thought he may be joking. But a) there's people like this and b) I'd hate for anybody to take that seriously.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
As you grow and get into bigger things, you can add on RAM and HD space. :)

I must say, I did wonder what you would use such a large machine for, Glenn. But when you put it that way it makes sense. The machine will last you a while and you will be able to "grow with it". :) Good choice.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
It's okay though. I'm not really a carrot.

Yeah...thats what they all say.

Glenn I think a 2.0Ghz machine would be fine for you. I highly doubt you will see a difference in what you intend to use it for.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
I would upgrade the graphic card to the X1900XT as that cant be upgraded I think but the CPUs can. Also as suggested go for the larger HDD not the Raptor X. In photo editing, the graphic card will come in handy i.e if you do complex phot editing, otherwised a smller upgrade would be fine. On the other hand you said you want the machine to grow with you so the X1900 would last you longer.

I would highly recommend buying the slowest upgradeable components right now provided they give you your required performance and save money. If you buy more powerful stuff now, then there will be some 'untapped' performance being wasted. Secondly when you NEED that untapped performance, it will cost a lot less to acquire it later on.

You can sell you Mac Pro later on if you want while its still not 'obsolete' and old and as Mac prices fall down slowly, you should be able to get quite a bit of your money back for a new Mac.

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
The 2.66 does seem to be the best vfm mac pro at the moment , I'm seriously considering buying one soon

I guess you can add a blu ray drive later ?

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
I doubt the extra RAM in the 2.0 will give you much performance boost depending on what you are doing. The 2.66 will help more than the extra RAM. RAM is cheap and easy to install.. processors are not (and void warrenty).

No brainer :p

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
go 2.66 you will respect yourself in the morning... i was in the same situation and now a week later i'm happy.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I think I'll end up with the 2.00Ghz, depends what display setup I go with. I think I'd value extra screen resolution more than saving ten seconds here and five seconds there..but it all depends. I should have made my mind up by day out.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
IMO the 2.0 is a terrible value. I have said this in other threads. In most cases I don't think the savings are really worth it. It might be a little different in New Zealand though.

Go with your gut. Of course you can upgrade when the warranty is up as well. Of course, you could wait for an update :D :apple:

Good luck Glenn, I am sure you will love it no matter what you get. I loved mine and I can't wait to get a new one later this year.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
IMO the 2.0 is a terrible value. I have said this in other threads. In most cases I don't think the savings are really worth it. It might be a little different in New Zealand though.

Go with your gut. Of course you can upgrade when the warranty is up as well. Of course, you could wait for an update :D :apple:

Good luck Glenn, I am sure you will love it no matter what you get. I loved mine and I can't wait to get a new one later this year.

Savings in New Zealand are much larger, $600 is what I save going from 2.66 to 2.00 - that's a lot considering Apple already overcharge New Zealanders for their products.

I just found a deal on a 30" Apple Cinema Display, I'm sure I'd notice the difference more than the processor upgrade. Just waiting a little..

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, if you save that much (USD?) then I would say it is worth it. That is the true difference between retail 2.0 and 2.66Ghz.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
$415 USD is the total value saved.

$415 is a nice sum of cash. If you think 2.0 ghz are enough for your needs, then it's a no-brainer to save the cash.

With your savings, you could go buy a really nice dinner for yourself and a friend or two. ;)

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
As soon as you see that spinning ball, you are going to be very mad dude. Get the 2.66. You said "grow with you". You are going to outgrow 2.0 in a few weeks. There is 2 things you can't be cheap with yourself on, food, and Apple products. :D

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
the 2.66 seems like the 'sweet spot' for the mac pro , no wonder they made it the starter point , it''s an AMAZING bit of kit

clever guys those chaps at apple hq

a few years ago we had the dilemma of a 450 or 500 mhz g4 after moto-useless cocked up their cpu fabs - again

we should all rejoice that apple have at last found a really good cpu supplier

why they didn't change years ago is beyond me !!?

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I'm 99% sure when I place my order tomorrow I'll be clicking on the 2.00Ghz button. This is mainly due to the fact that I ordered a 30" Apple Cinema Display today instead of the intended 23" Apple Cinema Display.

In hindsight, I think I made the decision as I'll notice the increased resolution much, much more than the extra oomph in the processor.

I'll keep the thread updated with my decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.