2.01 update changes 3G modem and may lower 3G reception

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanboy, Aug 4, 2008.

?

Does the iPhone 2.01 update lower 3G reception

Poll closed Sep 3, 2008.
  1. Yes, definitely down a bar or more

45 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. No, no change in signal strength

100 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. No, my reception is actually better

38 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. I do not know because there is no 3G where I am

25 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Can we get an informal poll as to what people's experiences are with 3G reception before and after the 2.01 update.
    Thanks

Update
    A side-by-side comparison showed that safari seems to load pages faster with the new 2.01 but the 3G signal strength has decreased.
    Thus it is a tick-for-tac.
    Those of you with great signal strength will want to update. Those of you who only got 1 bar 3G may want to pass on this and wait until the next update.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec63VkJejiI

2nd Update
    Here is the link to go back to 2.00 NOTE THAT THE DOWNGRADE DOES NOT CORRECT THE MODEM FILE AND IS THUS USLESS (see below)
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...080710.bgt53/iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw

3rd Update
    The modem on 2.0.0 is 1.45.00 and on 2.0.1 1.48.02
    This seems to be the HUGE problem.
    Does anyone know how to fix this by going back to the old modem??

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you saying it lowers reception or this a question?

3. shinenjk macrumors regular

...stupid paranoia. I bet you anything this software update has nothing to do with 3G connection.

4. DPBida macrumors newbie

Agreed! Not too sure how a software update could affect your reception (not saying it couldn't, just don't see how). The more I think about it, this post actually seems really stupid to me now.

5. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

No it does! Apple was sitting there thinking, what should we do in our next firmware update? I KNOW, make the iPhone CRAPPIER!

That makes a TON of sense.......

Good Lord people, think before you post.........

6. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

My 3G service at home went from 1-2 bars to No Service immediately after the update was installed.

7. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Seeing as how the update has been out all of THREE HOURS, this is a useless poll. If you think it or read about it, it must be real. :rolleyes:

8. liltechdude macrumors member

I personally have not been affected reception wise from the update. I say keep the poll up just to see what kind of results there are, and if there is a significant amount of people that notice a drop, then it may no be a conspiracy.

Only time will tell.

9. jediistar macrumors 6502

Same here my man.

10. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

im at home right now so im using wifi but i did notice a slight drop when on a phone call but idk if its really anything

11. yingwang24 macrumors newbie

Went to no service on 3G

Went from one bar or less to No Service. Edge at 5 bars.

12. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

My goodness, there is NOTHING IN THE SOFTWARE TO MAKE YOUR (insert word here because I can't think of it) LOWER!

EDIT: reception was the word hahaha.

13. jediistar macrumors 6502

I think its you who needs to think and research before he posts.

14. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You're missing what I mean. Why would Apple ever ever ever ever come out with a software update to LOWER THE RECEPTION?!

15. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Before everyone beats up the OP any further, let's keep in mind the firmware does affect how the signal meter works and when the radio gives up on 3G to switch to EDGE. I think part of the problem with reception on the 2.0 software was the phone's reluctance to let go of 3G. I had this problem at work. I'd get zero 3G bars or fluctuating signal, and data wouldn't work until I forced 3G off. Hoping when I get to work tomorrow that this issue is gone.

16. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

To the guy who's asking, "Why would Apple ever ever ever come out with an update to LOWER 3g reception".... well the answer is simple.

THEY WOULDN'T.

Apple wouldn't come out with an update to intentionally cause issues with 3g reception. In fact, they would never come out with an update with intentions of doing anything but fix problems and improve the iphone. However, anyone who knows anything about programming and software knows that on occasion some "fixes" come with their own set of issues as well. Sometimes correcting one problem causes another.

Do I believe there is a problem with 3g reception? Not really....

Is it possible? Of course, so the thread is worth having... to either prove there's an issue, or prove that there isn't one.

17. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

How about, let's wait until the firmware has been out for more than TWENTY MINUTES before we all start going, APPLE RUINED IT! I CAN'T EVEN TURN ON MY IPHONE OR CALL ANYONE!

18. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

How about, before posting your garbage you re-read my posts a few times to make sure you understand them.

People have installed the update, noticed differences, and are trying to "probe" to see who else is experiencing the same issue (if anyone).

That's how issues are solved. Do you really find it that difficult to comprehend that someone could have ALREADY installed this update and made a few calls? If he always gets reception in his house, and had reception right before the update, and NOW has no reception... well, he has a valid complaint.

So it sounds perfectly acceptable to me that he would ask if others have had this same issue.

So, calm down... or take your negative self somewhere else. If you don't like posts like this, don't bother posting, and just ignore them. Otherwise, try to understand.

19. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Before the update, 1 bar. After..no service for 3G

20. GottaLoveApple4 macrumors member

Definitely does not lower 3G reception...

AT&T's 3G network just blows... my buddy has an LG Shine which is 3G and he gets the SAME EXACT reception where ever we are. AT&T just lies about its coverage...

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was in the Carson City area and Lake Tahoe area in Nevada and California, and the 3G reception and Edge (coming back to the San Francisco Bay Area) reception was the best I'd ever seen. Had my wife's 3G iPhone (use to be mine, but she wanted Black) and we had great coverage on the 2.0 firmware. Heck, we're headed back out that way in two weeks, so I'll post an update... :cool:

22. specops macrumors regular

before update in my house basement i got about 1 bar

after update i had no reception... that had never happened before

about 10mins after update i now have reception BUT it does seem lower than before about 1 bar or less...

do what you will with this info

edit*

im sitting here at my computer downstairs and my bars are going crazy... they have definitely changed something with the bars and reception

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I do not see any difference in the 3G phone reception

24. torneko macrumors newbie

3G doesn't work anymore in my home although I can see "3G" sign with five bars..

Attached Files:

25. Seb&ss macrumors newbie

Yep, restarted after the update and now I get no 3G receiption what so ever...