2.1 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lakshi, Oct 20, 2008.

1. lakshi macrumors regular

Hello,
    I just got a new iphone 3G that has been factory unlocked and is on version 2.0.2 so i need to jailbreak it to get cydia. I just need to know if i should select "activate" and "youtube" while quickpwning it; also is it safe to upgrade to 2.1 since i have seen many posts about people complaining about no signal or no 3G or other issues. Also, what are the advantages of 2.1 over 2.0.2?
    Someone please enlighten me...
    thank you.

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Your iphone 3g is unlocked you say? Are you in the US? Because the iphone 3g has not yet been unlocked. You can use a rebel sim but the phone itself cannot be unlocked as of now.

3. lakshi thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it has been factory unlocked by apple and sells for a higher price and i got one piece....i would like to know if its worth upgarding to 2.1

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2.1 is a lot more stable, especially when using 3rd party apps.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

If you're on a 3G then yes, go with 2.1. More stable and quicker than 2.0 for sure.

6. lakshi thread starter macrumors regular

I've read rumours about no signal or no wifi after upgrading to 2.1 on 3G. Is it true?

7. Cask Guest

Nope, not true, at least in my experience, it's been far more stable. Where did you get the unlocked iphone?

8. lakshi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys for your help, i will upgrade to 2.1 tomorrow and post my results..BTW my friend got me the iphone from the US and the iphone box is bigger than normal iphone 3G boxes which says that the phone is factory unlocked and can be used anywhere in the world.
    Thanks again guys :)

9. johnnie macrumors newbie

I am using 2G with 2.1 and don't face any problem. ;)

10. lakshi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone,
    I will restore my phone to 2.1 and then quickpwn it. Just need to know if i should restore to 2.1 in restore mode or DFU mode....pls guide me

11. lakshi thread starter macrumors regular

Guess what guys i sucessfuly upgraded my iphone 3G to 2.1 and everything working good. I just dont know how to enable Genius. When i click on Genius icon it says "Not enabled, use itunes to enable Genius playlists" but in itunes it says "genius not supported in your country". I live in the UAE...can anyone help me out?

12. trunksu macrumors 6502

i dunno if it doesn't work in other countries or what, but to enable it:

you have to enable it in itunes first (on your pc/mac). when you're playing a song in itunes 8, there should be a bar on the right that will nag you to enable genius.

i don't remember where it is elsewhere since i've enabled it there :p once you enable it, just sync your phone and it should be enabled on your phone.

btw good choice in upgrading 2.1. it's muuuch better than 2.0.2

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

2.1 will allow constant signal. It fixes 100% all problems with 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.

Highly recommend you update your iPhone 3G.

14. d1piper macrumors newbie

UL iphone 1st gen, how can I upgrade to 2.1???

How do I upgrade to 2.1?

15. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

funny, i was going to ask something similar. the last week i've tried to download a number of apps that say it requires 2.1. i'm on a pwn'd 2.0.1 1st gen iphone. how do i upgrade to 2.1 pwnage? do i have to go through the whole process all over again? will it erase all my settings/customizations?

thanks!

16. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yes, to upgrade to 2.1 you will have to go through the Jailbreak process again. Once you upgrade you will have a "stock" 2.1 iPhone. As far as your settings and such, once you have restored and jailbroke just restore your settings from your backup. Everything will be as it was before.

17. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

but my SSH'd themes, icons, carrier logo, jailbroken apps, etc will all have to be redone. correct? quickpwn doesn't help in that regard?